Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metro 2033 Demo

A playable demo for Metro 2033 is now available, offering a sample of THQ's post-apocalyptic first-person shooter. The demo is revealed through the MSI Website, where they point to FilePlanet for downloads. Here's word: "It allows hardcore gamers to experience heart-stopping visuals with 4 chapters of free play. To survive the dangerous subways beneath Moscow and fight off the army of horrors that await, all you need is top-notch gaming components like the MSI Big Bang series of gaming motherboards, featuring powerful graphics performance and audio-realistic THX and Creative EAX audio technologies. With support for multiple, scalable graphics cards, you will enjoy unbeatable gaming performance." Thanks [H]ard-OCP. Demo downloads are mirrored on AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, and Gamer's Hell.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 18:35 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 12:43:
Yeah I guess Doom3 is a better comparison, however I liked Doom3 better than this game. Best to try the demo nin if you are unsure, I mean the demo is free so other than a little bandwidth there is nothing to loose.

nin's still sitting outside in his van, using dial-up.

/blast from the past.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 18:33 Overon

It's like half life 2 in terms of scripting. I wish it didn't end when it did when I played it. It's got some great scripted sequences. I quite enjoyed it.  

18. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 18:06 Tomas

I quite enjoyed this. Picked it up off their site during that sale. Atmosphere is really good, and I enjoyed the filter mechanic and the other little changes that made it less run-of-the-mill.

Definitely worth picking up on sale, and maybe worth paying full if you have the money. I don't buy many games at full price these days. Guess I'm getting cheap. That, or I buy way too many games to buy them all at full price. Take your pick. =)

17. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 17:14 El Pit

Two rules:
1. Love your filters. If you get outside, don't waste time. Do what you have to do and come back inside.
2. Don't waste your ammo. You can buy ammo in the stations, but outside - well, you'll see.

The first point annoyed me, but only for a short time. Later, I actually liked the idea that there's some time pressure. It added to the atmosphere and excitement.

The second point: Go for headshots, and don't shoot round after round into the dark. You'd regret it.

About the jumping enemies: Didn't have your problem. Got my back against a wall and picked them off one by one. Not one was able to get between my back and the wall. But of course they can jump into you, it's part of their tactics.

The problem with "dammit, I loaded the military grade ammo". Yes, happened to me, too. Not often, but it did. And once I did it for a reason - I was out of other ammunition. First time I cried for every enemy I had to take down, because each of them cost me a lot.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

16. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 15:25 jimnms

I got it free with my video card too. It looks great and does have some unique qualities, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it at release.

I get annoyed with it and quit at times. There are a few bugs that drive me crazy. When holding the shotgun, if I try to look at my watch to check how much longer my filter will last, the screen goes blurry and I can't see the watch. The worst one is that the enemy creatures are able to pass through you. I don't know what the creatures are called, but there's one that will jump at you and one that comes up through holes in the ground. The jumping ones, when I have to deal with several of them, I backed into a corner so they couldn't attack me from behind, but they'll jump and land "in" you or somehow manage to be between you and the wall where they can hurt you and you can't hit or see them. You have to move so they're not standing in you anymore.

What has annoyed me the most so far are the filters and the use of military grade ammo as currency. The military grade ammo is more powerful, and you can load it into your weapon by holding the reload key instead of pressing it. You're basically shooting money, so I don't want to do that. I wish they would have made it a separate key to change ammo because during a firefight I accidentally held the reload key too long and loaded my "money" into the gun by accident. I had over 100 military grade rounds. I didn't realize until I got to the next station that I had used them in my gun, so I didn't have any money to buy new weapons or ammo with.

The last three stations I've been through, the vendors weren't selling filters. On the level before Polis station I ran out of filters and had to reload the last checkpoint. If you shoot an enemy in the head, it breaks his mask. I've killed some by sniping their mask and watching them suffocate. Some have a spare and you can see them switch. If you can kill them without shooting them in the face or shoot their mask off and kill them before they switch to the spare, you can take the filter from their mask, but if you shoot them in the head it breaks their mask and you can't get the filter. After reloading the checkpoint I had to kill an enemy without breaking his mask, get his filter and hurry to the end.

Now I'm at Polis station with one partial filter. The vendors there don't sell filters, and the next level is outside.

Steam Profile

15. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 15:25 kimbambaman

The is well worth it my opinion. Havent gotten around to finishing it yet, but its very moody, dark, and tense. Its quite demanding if you turn up all the details, but its still quite reasonable if you scale it back a notch, and still looks great.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

14. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 14:08 SBlat

Weird for a steamworks game to not have its demo even available on Steam. I would have expected it to be Steam exclusive, like the RUSE, Just Cause 2, or Mafia 2 demos.  

13. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 13:55 tony

This game is linear like Doom 3 with atmosphere like late-game stalker. Graphically it's outstanding (and demanding). The game already had a 50% off steam sale ($25) and it was also on sale from THQ's website at one point for $15.  

12. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 12:50 elefunk

ViRGE wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 12:14:
And yet they still haven't released the DLC + Patch for the PC version yet. It was supposed to be released 3 weeks ago...
They hit some nasty bugs with the DLC on the 360 version that they're still trying to sort out. Just be thankful that we'll eventually get it for free on PC while the 360-ers had to pay for it

11. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 12:43 SpectralMeat

Yeah I guess Doom3 is a better comparison, however I liked Doom3 better than this game. Best to try the demo nin if you are unsure, I mean the demo is free so other than a little bandwidth there is nothing to loose.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 12:32 El Pit

Really liked the game. Creepier than F.E.A.R. (and the abomination called F.E.A.R. 2). Don't compare it to Stalker, it's much more like what Doom 3 should have been. If it's on sale, definitely give it a try.

Played it on a Q6600 and a GTX 260 on high at 1920x1080. No hiccups, no probs. Not spectacular, but very solid grafics.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

9. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 12:14 ViRGE

And yet they still haven't released the DLC + Patch for the PC version yet. It was supposed to be released 3 weeks ago...  

8. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 12:08 Enahs

You really need a good system for this game. The art style and atmosphere, low resolution or things cranked down, it is just not enjoyable, it is hard to see. And if the movement is not smooth, you will have a hard time shooting shit.

Turning down the options and resolution will get it running smooth, but visually it makes the game VERY hard to play on systems not powerful enough. And the graphics quality to system performance ratio is very low (meaning, other games get better graphics running on lower end systems then this requires).

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

7. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 11:49 Sty

It was a great ride. The feel and atmosphere were really there. Not a bad storyline either. Got it on sale, was well worth it.  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

6. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 11:25 SpectralMeat

Just to clarify I didn't mean the game is like Stalker in the gameplay department more like the post apocalyptic atmosphere and stuff, it just kind of reminded me of Stalker.

I should probably put more time into this game but the first hour or so I didn't really care much for the game, maybe it gets better later on.

5. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 11:21 nin

Nothing like Stalker imo.
Then again Stalker wasn't one of my favorite games either so maybe that is why I did not enjoy this game.

I was about to say, I didn't care for Stalker at all.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 11:10 elefunk

It's nothing like STALKER and never promised to be anything like STALKER. It's a purely linear fully directed/scripted game, and a very great one at that. Also one of the odd exceptions where the last couple levels are by far the best parts of the game. Some amazing sequences leading up to the very end.  

3. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 11:10 Frijoles

Few of my friends/coworkers spoke highly of it. I'm also waiting for it to go on sale. I'm a $20 kinda guy.  

2. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 11:06 SpectralMeat

I got it free with my video card, only played a little bit of it but I personally don't like it. Nothing like Stalker imo.
Then again Stalker wasn't one of my favorite games either so maybe that is why I did not enjoy this game.

Graphics looks fantastic though.

1. Re: Metro 2033 Demo Aug 25, 2010, 10:52 nin

Was this any good? I was waiting on a Steam sale...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo