Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Just when I think that I've seen the silliest of the safety warnings that fill our everyday lives, I found one that takes the cake. This morning I noticed a small sticker on the power cord on an electric shaver, which I assumed would warn against dunking it in water. I took a look, and it was actually a silhouette of a scissors cutting the cord covered by the red "no-no" bar... That's right, it is warning not to cut the power cord.

Cautious Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Submachine: 32 Chambers.
Harry Quantum PI.
5xMan.
Links: The Biggest Games of Fall 2010.
Report: 10 Million Killed Annually By Stepping Out Of Comfort Zones.
The rise and fall of quicksand. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Nationwide meat recall announced.
Students, Welcome to College - Parents, Go Home. Thanks Neatorama.
Toyota turns up the volume on Prius. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Science: Worlds collide in double star systems. A George divided...
How You Think You Save Energy Is Not How You Save Energy. Thanks [H]ard-OCP.
Images: The Surprising State of College in America [Infographic].
Sweet T-Shirt!
Media: I Think I Blanked Out Hama Beads.
Timelapse of a game programmer.
English bulldog casually hanging out, watching TV.
Auction: GamesAid auctions Solid Snake.
“Lost” The Official Show Auction.
Follow-up: Darwin May Have Been WRONG, New Study Argues.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2010, 23:21 Sepharo

Hoop wrote on Aug 26, 2010, 01:28:
Sepharo
I would fight them some more for that kind of money.
From what you have said they have no right to try that on.
If you have a local consumer rights organisation or TV program that pursues bad consumer treatment then contact them & seek advice.

If that fails play Mafia 2 & give them the "What yoos all trying to break my balls over here?"
"Do I have to get my brother Adrian....Adrain an't a lawyer or noffing but he has been accepted to the bar if yoos know what I mean."...."hey Adrain show these nice people overs here your nice shinny bar."

I ended up having to pay $240, since the payment service refunded my $170, the "liar" fee ended up being $70. The boss hog wasn't around so I didn't get to continue my argument today but the clerk who took my check confided that she wouldn't have put me through all that trouble and she even gave me a handwriting sample without me asking for it to prove that she wasn't the idiot unable to recognize her own handwriting.

I'm actually thinking about going up there again to see if I can convince the boss lady to look at the security camera tapes. She really believes that I'm lying and trying to cheat them and for me it's not even about the money I just want to clear my name.

I'm not one to let falsehoods stand especially not ones concerning my character.

edit: Well had it remained $600 and that stupid Responsibility Fee then it would be about the money. But an extra $70 bucks isn't too bad and I was afraid she would pull a "Well since you insist on arguing I'm rescinding my offer to cut you some slack."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2010, 09:56 BobCalli

Um yeah, did you not see that the link went to The Onion? Of course it's bullshit.  

13. Re: Darwin WRONG Aug 26, 2010, 09:48 zoomboy27a

Err ..

Why worry about it then? If they are the "poison of stupid" then only smart people like you will be left. That's evolution for ya.

As funny and so ironic is the anti-evolution people not surviving, they and their stupidity will breed - See the Palin brood
And we'll be stuck with all their nonsense as stupid knows no boundaries.
If you can find an island where their choices don't matter, good on ya. It'd be one tiny island.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2010, 09:36 xXBatmanXx

Report: 10 Million Killed Annually By Stepping Out Of Comfort Zones.

*cough* BULLSHIT *cough*

/edit: Ah, the onion - the place I ignore, detest, and stay away from at all costs...

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2010, 09:59.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2010, 01:28 Hoop

Sepharo
I would fight them some more for that kind of money.
From what you have said they have no right to try that on.
If you have a local consumer rights organisation or TV program that pursues bad consumer treatment then contact them & seek advice.

If that fails play Mafia 2 & give them the "What yoos all trying to break my balls over here?"
"Do I have to get my brother Adrian....Adrain an't a lawyer or noffing but he has been accepted to the bar if yoos know what I mean."...."hey Adrain show these nice people overs here your nice shinny bar."

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2010, 01:35.

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 22:41 Sepharo

Listen to my tale of woe:

So I was in a car accident on July 5th. I rear ended someone on the highway after they unexpectedly slammed (smokin tires and all) on the brake. Of course because I hit the from behind I was given a ticket and I also had an additional offense of no proof of insurance because mine had just expired and I hadn't replaced the card yet.

A few weeks later I went to the court house to show my insurance (waive the fine/offense) and pay the fine. I guess there's still a $25 fee just for waiving that insurance offense but it's better than the $200 something otherwise. The clerk wrote on my ticket while explaining to me how she arrived at my total and then I tried to pay with my credit card. It turns out I would have to pay over the phone if I wanted to use a credit card. So I went out to my car and made the payment and that was that.

A few weeks ago I get a notice that my ticket had become a case, and I was in judgement of $200 something for no proof of insurance and the fine for the accident which was $150 something. Plus both of those fines have late fees added to them. I checked my credit card statement and sure enough there was a charge for $175 (the $150 + $25 for waive). But worst of all I received another notice and was now being fined an additional $200 for a Michigan Responsibility Fee which is charged automatically when you are charged with "No Proof of Insurance" and don't get it waived, if you don't pay it within a month your license is suspended.

Today I finally got around to going back to the courthouse to try to sort this all out. I gathered up my credit card statement, ticket, and notices. The lady there was very nice to me, she saw that I had indeed paid and got about to figuring out what went wrong. I spent an hour there as she tried to track down old emails (apparently all 6 clerks had deleted their email older than a month) and get ahold of the phone payment service. Finally another clerk arrived who was able to find documents showing that my payment had been denied because I entered the ticket number on the phone "370152" instead of "E370152".

She tells me that I absolutely had to have already received a refund and I explained (and showed her) that I had not. She didn't believe me but I was insistent so she called the payment service again and they realized that they hadn't refunded me yet, so they did it right then and there. They also told her that they had called me to tell me to call the court because they couldn't find the ticket... They never actually called me.

So now we get down to brass tacks and I ask, "So how much do I owe now? Will I still be charged these late fees?" she responded, "Oh, of course! You we're late." After much arguing she agreed that I shouldn't be charged because after all I did try to pay the $175 on time and as far as I knew I had actually paid it.

Now that left the matter of whether I actually did show them that I had proof of insurance, they claimed that they had no record that I did. So I showed her the ticket where they wrote down the $25, she showed it to the other 5 ladies there and none of them recognized the handwriting. "Well someone here wrote it, I didn't even know I had to pay $25, they explained it to me." So the only clerk that wasn't there would be coming in later that day and they would see if it was her handwriting. I was to call back later and learn the verdict.

I called back and was basically told that I was a liar. I apparently had written those numbers to get out of paying the full price of not having insurance. So now I have to pay all these fees and fines because someone can't recognize their own handwriting and everything hinged on that.

TLDR: A court clerk called me a liar and I'm forced to pay something like $600 because someone can't recognize their own handwriting and a payment service fucked up hard.

Yay local government!

9. Re: Darwin WRONG Aug 25, 2010, 22:09 Nere

zoomboy27a wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 21:47:
This is more of HuffPo's anti-science garbage
Boob shots and some political coverage.
Anything to do with science - they are the poison of stupid.

Enjoy This Evisceration

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/curl_up_and_die_already_huffpo.php

Err ..

Why worry about it then? If they are the "poison of stupid" then only smart people like you will be left. That's evolution for ya.

8. Re: Darwin WRONG Aug 25, 2010, 21:47 zoomboy27a

This is more of HuffPo's anti-science garbage
Boob shots and some political coverage.
Anything to do with science - they are the poison of stupid.

Enjoy This Evisceration

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/curl_up_and_die_already_huffpo.php

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 16:40 kanniballl

. I took a look, and it was actually a silhouette of a scissors cutting the cord covered by the red "no-no" bar...

Plus, won't that just give really really young kids ideas?

It reminds me of an episode of Better Off Ted. One of the main characters is throwing food at her monitor, something obviously stupid and insane to do. She got the idea from a memo that got sent out asking people to not throw food at their monitor.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 16:39 kanniballl

This morning I noticed a small sticker on the power cord on an electric shaver, which I assumed would warn against dunking it in water. I took a look, and it was actually a silhouette of a scissors cutting the cord covered by the red "no-no" bar... That's right, it is warning not to cut the power cord.

I vaguely recall seeing that sticker on a power cord, but I don't recall what it was for.

I guess they just want to cover their butts. Maybe for stuff that's portable (such as a shaver) instead of something larger (such as a TV) they don't want some idiot suing them because they plugged it in near the sewing machine or at the kitchen table where kids do arts and crafts.

Still, it seems a bit much.

While we're at it, no filled gas cans in the oven!

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2010, 16:50.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5. Worms reloaded Aug 25, 2010, 16:22 Enahs

Even though it says the game will unlock in 19 hours on the steam page, I was able to install and play today, 30 min ago!

I did preorder it, if that makes a difference!

Hooray! Good ole worms!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 14:38 Kxmode

I was working on this web site when I notic... SQUIRREL.

What was I talking about?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 14:21 Hoop

Spring is starting to appear here. yes
Will pick up Mafia 2 this morning.

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 12:25 Bodolza

I'm shocked that the evolution article got published. The authors clearly failed to understand the basics of the theory. The quote at the end of the article sums up the problem pretty well.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2010, 12:18 Hammer

Darwin May Have Been WRONG, New Study Argues

I can just see that headline being picked up by a bunch of creationist sites without actually bothering to read the article to find out what exactly he was wrong about...

"Scientists now admit that the theory of evolution was wrong!"

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo