Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

How Steam Saved Introversion

The Introversion Forum has an account of how this independent developer was rescued through sales on Valve's Steam service. The British developer describes how they hit hard times, and sold off furniture and fired staff to become a bedroom developer. At the point they were ready to rewrite their C.V.s and look for jobs when they came up with a last-ditch rescue plan involving creating Steam achievements for DEFCON and convincing Valve to run a promotion with it. Here's the happy ending to the story: "Right on cue, Valve delivered. The promo exceeded all of our expectations and when combined with our low burn rate (no office or staff now) we had gone from being fearful about paying our mortgages to having a year’s operating capital in the bank. This was good, but paled in comparison to the fact that we were working together as a team again. Just like the old days. Just me Chris, TJ and Johnny – laptops, bedrooms and plans for global domination. The difference this time was we have a lot more knowledge and experience about what works and what doesn’t. On the face of it we are less capable than we were six months ago, but personally I believe that we are ready to rebuild the company bigger and stronger in a different mould." Thanks Mike Martinez via Kotaku via Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 10:49 skyguy

Pankin wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 09:50:
Uplink and Darwinia are both a lot of fun but Defcon, while fun too, seems to be only a multi-player game. For those of us who can't stand people, have they made a single-player mode for Defcon? Cheers!

You've always been able to play against the AI in Defcon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 10:19 Tom

starmonkey wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 02:47:
Looking forward to subversion. I hope they use SVN for source control!

Srsly, they use git, that's a NO SALE right there. ZOMG RRAAAGGGHHH!!

8. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 10:16 Ant

Nice, but what future games do they have? They have been quiet.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 09:50 Pankin

Uplink and Darwinia are both a lot of fun but Defcon, while fun too, seems to be only a multi-player game. For those of us who can't stand people, have they made a single-player mode for Defcon? Cheers!  

6. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 06:47 Sphinx

Defcon is the best RTS ever.  
-Sphinx

5. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 04:35 nofb

Darwinia is a fun, refreshing game, one of the few that doesn't just rely on 3D to be called a game. I can hardly wait Subversion to be available, it looks like they are doing a great job there too!

... and yeah, I hope it'll be funnier than the other Subversion

4. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 02:47 starmonkey

I bought the introversion pack when it was on sale - always happy to help (talented) indie developers!

Looking forward to subversion. I hope they use SVN for source control!

3. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 25, 2010, 02:21 Prez

Gonna go buy Uplink and Defcon just to help them. This is a great story - kudos to Valve.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 24, 2010, 23:13 Sacrifice

I really liked Darwinia, hope this gives them a chance to make a sequel! (Not including the multiwinia spinoff)  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

1. Re: How Steam Saved Introversion Aug 24, 2010, 22:36 Kxmode

Right on. This story makes me happy to be a paying customer and especially one who likes to support the small guys! I bought Uplink and Darwania. I'm glad my money helped them survive.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo