Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed?

Open-world debauchery sim This is Vegas is cancelled, reports Computer and Video Games, saying this news comes from "a cast iron source close to the project," though they have not gotten a confirmation of this from WBIE. They also say that the game's developer, Surreal Software, which suffered layoffs in January, was "stealthily closed" earlier this year, with its staff split up between Monolith and Snowblind. They say the game, which Warner acquired in the Midway fire sale, lives up well to the old "Lost Wages Nevada" joke, as the production burned through $50 million before being axed. This news comes just a year after WBIE denied previous rumors that the game was shelved. Thanks joao.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 25, 2010, 12:11 Wildone

Becus no one could decide on what the game was supposed to be so they floundered around hoping someone would step in and show the way. Kinda hard to do when the initial idea is so stupid/lame. Instead of just admitting 'lets make a GTA clone in Vegas!' try to re-invent the wheel and end up with a bunch of drinking mini games (who wants to do that when you can do it in real?!)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 25, 2010, 00:40 Jerykk

I don't really understand how this project could cost so much. It wasn't an MMO, an RPG or an action game. It was a compilation of minigames. It's a shame because Surreal wasn't a bad a developer. The Suffering was a good game and its follow-up was pretty solid too. I was looking forward to a continuation of the series using modern technology. Instead, they announced This Is Vegas.  

11. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 20:22 Mr. Tact

I could not produce a "This is Vegas" game for much less. I'll take just $1 million!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 19:38 Rigs

50 million dollars...geezus...just think what could have been done with just half that...

you know, like maybe they could've finished DNF...well, no, perhaps not for 25 million...

I don't know how these guys sleep at night when they get all that funding, run the company into the ground (a lot of times on purpose) and go off to find their next adventure victim...

Hell, I blew threw my 30 grand life savings in six months after my divorce and that landed me in the shrinks office for two years because of the guilt alone...I guess you have to have a black hole for a heart and ice in your veins... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

9. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 17:31 Wildone

Yea the lead designer on this was fired less than a year in and it went downhill from there..talk about a used car salesman..he soled them a pink elephant and they bought it to the cost of 50 mil.  

8. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 17:30 Kxmode

Make way for Fallout: New Vegas, baby!  

7. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 17:30 Nameless Again

Fuck a game based on Vegas. I just moved from that shithole and couldn't be happier.  

6. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 17:14 LittleMe

50M is a lot.. Just shows how people with money follow trends and charts without really understanding what they are doing.

I'm glad businesses are still allowed to fail. Just wait when the feds start bailing out or taking over failed game developers because they are 'too big to fail.'

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 17:00 D_K_night

no, this ain't the BIGGEST disaster - wasn't that MMO(whose release lasted only 2 months) burn through 100 million?

APB right? yeah they burned through ONE HUNDRED MIL.

4. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 17:00 nin

as the production burned through $50 million before being axed

"Research! RESEARCH! ANOTHER MARTINI PLEASE!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 16:54 CrimsonPaw

Wow, $50 million ... I think they could have saved some money by canning the game when they launched that first trailer which showed no promise.  
~~Crim~~

2. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 16:21 nin

This is Vegas Cancelled

Fixed!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: This is Vegas Cancelled, Surreal Closed? Aug 24, 2010, 16:17 ASeven

$50 million.

$50 fucking million.

Good grief. Can this be the most expensive canceled project in the history of gaming?

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo