Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs

There's a Jack Emmert interview on Massively where the Cryptic CEO speaks on a variety of topics, focusing on their just-announced online multiplayer RPG, Neverwinter. He confirms that there will be no offline play in the game, and plays it coy when asked abut their business model: "We haven't announced that yet -- we've got some kooky plans that I think people will like," though he indicates this must somehow support ongoing content creation after the game's launch. He also discusses the reasons for shifting away from their concentration on MMORPGs, offering a very frank assessment of the shortcomings of some of their recent efforts: "From our point of view, we just had to take a look at ourselves and kind of change the way we were doing things, and with the tools and the resources with our previous MMOs, we knew that Neverwinter had to be the highest possible quality, and we had to improve, dramatically, everything that we did. The best way to do that was to sort of change the style of gameplay so that the focus wasn't on hundreds of hours of mediocre (some would say even worse than mediocre) content, but instead create a rich story-driven multiplayer game. We want to make a great game -- the original Neverwinter is a true classic, and it's really important to hold to that standard."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 25, 2010, 09:51 Ant

Rigs wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 19:31:
...they can kiss my hairy butt!

Uh, yeah, didn't need to know that, Talisom...

Besides, you don't shave?!?

I thought all geeks were allergic to body hair...

=-Rigs-=
Shave? What's that? [grin]

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 19:31 Rigs

...they can kiss my hairy butt!

Uh, yeah, didn't need to know that, Talisom...

Besides, you don't shave?!?

I thought all geeks were allergic to body hair...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

13. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 19:21 Talisorn

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 18:51:
We have no idea what "kooky" plans they have though, it could be Guild Wars based or they could charge for extended features like Hellgate tried to do.
If their "Kooky" plans mean paying a subscription for an node-and-instance game like Guild Wars or (dare I say it) Hellgate, they can kiss my hairy butt!

12. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 18:51 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 18:00:
So even though it's really just NWN without the single-player aspect - and it's not a full MOG, which Cryptic can't build for shit anyway - they're going to charge people as if it were.

Well, after this failure hopefully they'll be out of business and stay out of the industry.

We have no idea what "kooky" plans they have though, it could be Guild Wars based or they could charge for extended features like Hellgate tried to do. Who the hell knows and I am NOT saying it will work, but it's too early to say.

The no offline mode pretty much kills it for me. Unless "pirates" get it working offline I won't be buying it.

11. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 18:23 Talisorn

I ain't buying in this time. I want to see what it's like before I commit again. The only hope I have for it is that you can create user-based content. If they allow a DM client, then to could be good. If it's relying purely on Cryptic's content, it could be dire.

At least Roper has been shown the door.

10. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 18:00 Cutter

So even though it's really just NWN without the single-player aspect - and it's not a full MOG, which Cryptic can't build for shit anyway - they're going to charge people as if it were.

Well, after this failure hopefully they'll be out of business and stay out of the industry.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 16:08 Rilcon

Expecting people to read articles before complaining about them is pretty crazy.

And now I'm pretty positive this is going to be Guild Wars with D&D. Which may be interesting if none of it is like STO ground combat.

8. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 15:42  Blue 

Warskull wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 15:24:
I this case, I am willing to bet the online aspect is more about blocking mods than DRM. Their business model is probably going to be selling new classes and dungeons via DLC. Modders would probably just go and implement the other 4th edition classes and wreck their model.

From that same interview:

The Forge, the toolset, how extensive is that going to be for players?

What we've done is take versions of our own tools and skin them, simplify them, and make it possible for players to create things like we do every day. Naturally that means they can be extremely complex, and one of the things we're looking at now is ways of organizing the tools so that people can get in and do it without needing extensive knowledge of 3-D tools. Fans of the original Neverwinter I don't think will be disappointed, and my personal goal is to include a group of people, like myself, who just want to get in and make simple adventures without having to tackle a large amount of complexity. It's easy to make complex tools.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 15:33 wtf_man

...and plays it coy when asked abut their business model: "We haven't announced that yet -- we've got some kooky plans that I think people will like...

What? You mean something different than the default "kooky plans" of "milk as much from a crappy product as possible, and shit out another one"???

6. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 15:24 Warskull

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 13:13:
We want to make a great game

Unfortunately, we possess no talent in Cryptic that's capable of actually MAKING a great game.

Also, no offline play, so basically this is just "always-on internet" DRM under the guise of cooperative online gaming.

Yeah, this is going to be AWESOME. :-yawn-:

Creston

I this case, I am willing to bet the online aspect is more about blocking mods than DRM. Their business model is probably going to be selling new classes and dungeons via DLC. Modders would probably just go and implement the other 4th edition classes and wreck their model.

These is very likely going to be a huge korean F2P MMO influence here.

5. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 14:28 Nomaar

Hundreds of hours of less than mediocre gameplay ....

May be the first time I've heard a company trash its own game (STO) so harshly and so soon after release. Wish STO were a stock -- I'd be calling my broker and selling it short right now.

4. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 13:35 Verno

They make "good" games, they just have zero depth or long term appeal. If you want a 30 day game that will crash and burn quickly then Cryptic is the champion of that.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

3. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 13:13 Creston

We want to make a great game

Unfortunately, we possess no talent in Cryptic that's capable of actually MAKING a great game.

Also, no offline play, so basically this is just "always-on internet" DRM under the guise of cooperative online gaming.

Yeah, this is going to be AWESOME. :-yawn-:

Creston

2. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 11:55 Silicon Avatar

Sorry Cryptic, you're all talk and no walk. After the Star Trek Online debacle I doubt anyone is going to rush out and buy your next dropping unless fantastic reviews roll in from real gamers.

1. Re: Cryptic on Neverwinter and MMORPGs Aug 24, 2010, 10:47 justice7

so this is the first game to be based on 4th Edition DnD?  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo