Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Not Working on Linux Steam

Valve On Steam Part Two on GamesIndustry.biz is a recent interview about Steam conducted with Valve's Doug Lombardi. Though a recent job posting for Linux engineers spurred speculation that a Linux version of the Steam client is in the works, Doug indicates that at the moment this is not something they are developing, saying: "There's no Linux version that we're working on right now." There's also an interesting follow-up on NPD's digital distribution data, which has already been called into question by Impulse and GamersGate. "Yeah, we're unsure as to how they came up with those numbers, so commenting on them would feel strange. ...," Doug comments. "It does point to what we've been trying to say forever which is that the PC is not dying, the business is just moving elsewhere. And to their credit, they're starting to make strides to give everyone that information and paint a more complete picture. But again those reports that came out weren't based on any data that we've provided, so it is what is. ..." Thanks Ant via Linux Today.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 16:27 Verno

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 15:41:
Intentionally obtuse, or just trying to troll? That's the point...if you don't keep a Windows partition, then you are stuck playing games native to your non-Windows OS or that run in Wine, or running in a virtualized environment where your choices of games are still limited at this point.

For someone who was previously so sticky about wording, you don't seem to mind being lax with it now. I think your initial assumption was incorrect was the point. If the days of "needing" a Windows partition are numbered then they're probably in the thousands.

Five or Ten years...I take it you don't keep up on the state of virtualization technology...

Actually I do and because of that I know I'm far more likely to see fully playable modern games over RemoteFX anyways before I see it in something like VirtualBox. Not that I think either is likely in the first place for quite some time.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 15:41 grudgebearer

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 14:06:
Those days were over awhile ago actually. You don't "need" a Windows partition for games these days but it sure does help if you want a better experience with the majority of the library.

Intentionally obtuse, or just trying to troll? That's the point...if you don't keep a Windows partition, then you are stuck playing games native to your non-Windows OS or that run in Wine, or running in a virtualized environment where your choices of games are still limited at this point.

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 14:06:
Overly broad. I don't really care if full speed virtualization of the majority of gaming software is five or ten years away and I doubt most others are that forward looking either.

Five or Ten years...I take it you don't keep up on the state of virtualization technology...

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

43. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 14:06 Verno

that the days of having to keep a windows partition for gaming are numbered, which they are.

Those days were over awhile ago actually. You don't "need" a Windows partition for games these days but it sure does help if you want a better experience with the majority of the library.

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 13:46:
Virtualization has changed the game in the business world, and applying it in the consumer world is only a matter of time.

Overly broad. I don't really care if full speed virtualization of the majority of gaming software is five or ten years away and I doubt most others are that forward looking either.

Edit: I think hes referring to the adoption of DirectX 9 Ant. Previously it only supported Direct3D 8.

42. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 14:02 Ant

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 13:46:
Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 07:20:
Very little is playable at all right now, certainly not the level of what he implied. Tricky wording.

How was my wording tricky? Did I say "VirtualBox plays tons of games at top speed and it super roxors"? No, I said that with VirtualBox now supporting DirectX, that the days of having to keep a windows partition for gaming are numbered, which they are.

Virtualization has changed the game in the business world, and applying it in the consumer world is only a matter of time.

Um, VBox's DirectX out has been out for a long time! Even VMware Workstation had it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

41. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 13:46 grudgebearer

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 07:20:
Very little is playable at all right now, certainly not the level of what he implied. Tricky wording.

How was my wording tricky? Did I say "VirtualBox plays tons of games at top speed and it super roxors"? No, I said that with VirtualBox now supporting DirectX, that the days of having to keep a windows partition for gaming are numbered, which they are.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

40. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 12:55 Mashiki Amiketo

rocketpcguy wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 03:28:
what? VirtualBox in linux can do that? what directX games are playable that you tried, mashiki?
Lot of the stuff tied to wine is mostly big name, but lets see off my work machine(which means it's a buggy PoS sometimes). WoW, Mafia, SC2(Gets sluggish sometimes), Witcher, C&C3. Eh just go look at the app list, it can be hit or miss or sometimes tinkering to get it right. Wine is showing some serious promise, I'll say that. But for my gaming I'll end up sticking to Windows.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 08:39 Ant

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 25, 2010, 03:24:
Ant wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 17:36:
How good is it compared to WINE's and native Windows'? Can we play Crysis without slowdowns?
Better, much better in the 1.2rev vs even 1.1, and a leap year ahead of 0.9 and 1.0. As for crysis, I don't know if there's a machine in existence that can run it without slowdowns.
Bah, I can play Crysis smoothly with my old quad-core Intel 8200 PC, 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of RAM), Catalyst v9.7 driver, 1280x1024, graphic enhancements mods, etc. I just need time to finish it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

38. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 07:20 Verno

37. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 03:28 rocketpcguy

what? VirtualBox in linux can do that? what directX games are playable that you tried, mashiki?  

36. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 25, 2010, 03:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Ant wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 17:36:
How good is it compared to WINE's and native Windows'? Can we play Crysis without slowdowns?
Better, much better in the 1.2rev vs even 1.1, and a leap year ahead of 0.9 and 1.0. As for crysis, I don't know if there's a machine in existence that can run it without slowdowns.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

35. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 17:36 Ant

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 17:20:
With VirtualBox now supporting DirectX, the days of having to keep a Windows box/partition for gaming are numbered...

34. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 17:20 grudgebearer

With VirtualBox now supporting DirectX, the days of having to keep a Windows box/partition for gaming are numbered...

- Harlon Nayl

33. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 12:56 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2010, 23:51:
But yeah I got KOTOR 1 and 2 running fine in 7 64-bit. Took a little effort but it worked fine. I think 2 ran out of the box and 1 had a little trouble. Or was it the other way around?
Well now I'm curious if I'd have any problems getting either to run on my win7x64 box after all the patches in the last 6mo. I've had 2 running with no problem(recently), and 1 running in the last year again with no tinkering. So might be driver related in a way. Areo screws with older games hard and fast.

But I decided to make a WinXP partition to play some of my favorite older games off of. BG, BG2, even with BG converted over to run under BG2, it was a bit funky in Win7. MechCommander1/2, and Dungeon Keeper2.

With that, I can keep a small 150gb partition and if there's any serious issues where I don't feel like spending more than 30mins screwing around, I can just image, and install on XP.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 12:13 Verno

I spent half an hour screwing around with SWKOTOR, finally got it to run (at all), and then it crashed 2 minutes into the game.

I refuse to believe anyone who claims that they do this:

Because setting up a machine from scratch by hand with software raid running Gentoo to host a dozen KVM virtual machines hosted on an AoE SAN

...is incapable of using Google to solve a compatibility problem with an old game. As if Wine is going to be any easier in that scenario by the by

With hundreds of posts all over the internet that basically say, "this won't work," yeah, I gave up. BF2's story was even worse. The basic gist was, "you might be able to get it to work if you stick your tongue out just right." At the least, you're in there manually updating PunkBuster and fiddling with the game's config file. It's probably just me, but you may want to reconsider the phrase "just fine" as it applies to these situations. A simple Google search easily proves otherwise.

No, you're twisting Google results to reflect your opinion. I can google literally any game ever and come up with people who have difficulty running it, that includes multiplatform games. That's the nature of open platforms where you have unknown numbers of configurations. The biggest obstacle to running BF2 on Windows 7 is Punkbuster, not BF itself and that's easily solved. If you want to put your money where you mouth is, install the game and get to the point where you run into trouble with it. I guarantee I can solve it in under 5 minutes provided it's not an issue related to something involving a hardware specific issue.

Most issues related to older games have little to do with Windows and more to do with new driver revisions from ATI and Nvidia. Nvidia for example breaks compatibility with probably as many games it "optimizes" in each release. Changing the platform won't suddenly solve this issue either.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2010, 12:59.

31. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 10:53 Ant

Bah. Macs get a port, but not Linux? Come on.  

30. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 10:00 rocketpcguy

For the record I used a Mandrake/KDE combo for 4 months. It was a nightmare of epic proportions. ... it will never, ever be user friendly

Mandrake? is that even still alive? have you ever tried ubuntu? try it out and let us know how more user friendly it can be.

as for gaming, yeah, i have a feeling it may never catch up until opengl gets easier to develop games with; and opengl seems to be concentrating on the non-gaming 3D scene nowadays. plus anyone who has an ati card is basically screwed with wine; nvidia is the only way to having some games running.

29. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 06:58 Dunkirk

Both games run just fine on Windows 7 32/64. I don't know how people claim to maintain Linux installations but fail to do even basic procedures like using compatibility flags when trying games on Windows.

Because setting up a machine from scratch by hand with software raid running Gentoo to host a dozen KVM virtual machines hosted on an AoE SAN is still less hassle than dozens of attempts at twiddling all the various permutations of the compatibility flags and installing different video and audio drivers versions in order to appease the Windows gods.

Seriously, Verno. How can anyone claim to be able to sort out this nonsense, and yet not be able to install Linux From Scratch on an old IBM mainframe? ;-)

I spent half an hour screwing around with SWKOTOR, finally got it to run (at all), and then it crashed 2 minutes into the game. With hundreds of posts all over the internet that basically say, "this won't work," yeah, I gave up. BF2's story was even worse. The basic gist was, "you might be able to get it to work if you stick your tongue out just right." At the least, you're in there manually updating PunkBuster and fiddling with the game's config file. It's probably just me, but you may want to reconsider the phrase "just fine" as it applies to these situations. A simple Google search easily proves otherwise.

It's not a question of whether it will work; it's a question of the value of my time. With literally hundreds of games in my CD case, I just chose to say "screw it," and play something else.

The way I see it, over the past 10 years, Linux has gotten easier to setup and and use for every day work than running old games on new versions of Windows. This is why I made my comment about XP. Being as gaming is all I use Windows for, downgrading to XP doesn't cost me anything. I'm not using anything in Windows Ultimate that I don't get in XP Pro. And every game I have works "just fine" there.

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

28. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 02:10 El Pit

I expect them to work on Linux Steam before they start working on Half-Life 2 Episode 3. That's for sure. They'd even rather work on a DLC for Left 4 Dead about clipping zombie toenails than work on Half-Life 2 Episode 3. Valve, Half-Ilfe is where you came from, and you promised that this episodic nonsense would guarantee a faster output of new (albeit shorter) Half-Life games. Works like a charm, doesn't it? You're letting the H-L fans down HUGE TIME.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

27. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 23, 2010, 23:51 NKD

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2010, 21:42:
Both games run just fine on Windows 7 32/64. I don't know how people claim to maintain Linux installations but fail to do even basic procedures like using compatibility flags when trying games on Windows.

You'll note his post says he runs Ubuntu. That shit is more user-friendly than Windows and doesn't indicate any level of Linux wizardry, or competence of any kind. Not saying he isn't, but don't expect someone running Ubuntu to necessarily be some kind of power user.

But yeah I got KOTOR 1 and 2 running fine in 7 64-bit. Took a little effort but it worked fine. I think 2 ran out of the box and 1 had a little trouble. Or was it the other way around?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

26. Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 23, 2010, 21:42 Verno

So I keep a Windows 7 partition, but even that's not the end-all, be-all answer. I just discovered that -- along with Battlefield 2 -- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic doesn't play on it

To the point: I see from [url=]http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php[/url] that Linux is estimated at about 1/3rd the market size of OS X. (And XP is still holding onto about 50%!) Maybe when it gets to be ~4.5% of the total makeup out there, it might be of interest to Valve. Maybe? I suppose the other half of the equation is user expectation. People on OS X are expected to shell out the dollars. Linux? Not so much. ;-)

Web browser statistics are not necessarily a good useful metric when assessing gaming capable machine marketshares.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo