Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Bestsellers

Here's Valve's report of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. Borderlands
  2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Weekend Deal Bundle
  3. Mafia II: Digital Deluxe Edition
  4. Mafia II
  5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
  6. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
  7. Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
  8. Worms Reloaded
  9. Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
  10. Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 23, 2010, 10:03 SpectralMeat

Thank you Prez much appreciated!  

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 23, 2010, 09:37 Prez

SpectralMeat:

For a one-stop shopping sort of guide, use THIS page.

Google the mods mentioned, follow the instructions, and you'll be set.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 23, 2010, 08:54 SpectralMeat

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 22:50:
Go Mafia 2! Playing the original (free with Steam preorder of Mafia 2), bolstered with a dozen mods to make it look more modern, and I gotta say it has held up extremely well. Great atmosphere, great story, great game.

I was playing through Mafia 1 this weekend also. Man the cops are tough in that game. You speed they come after you, you run a red light they come after you. I wish it had controller support also, makes the driving so much easier than m+k.

What mods do you have on Mafia 1? I was just playing the vanilla version without mods or anything. Graphics looks very dated but the gameplay is awesome.

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 23, 2010, 06:14 Armengar

Borderlands is good fun for me too. I agree that it does feel like a rushed port. After ini tweaks it is pretty good although the lack of "mouseness" in the menu system pisses me off.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

16. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 23, 2010, 04:48 nofb

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 22:50:
Go Mafia 2! Playing the original (free with Steam preorder of Mafia 2), bolstered with a dozen mods to make it look more modern, and I gotta say it has held up extremely well. Great atmosphere, great story, great game.

Hm, unfortunately the demo was completely unstable here, frozes every now and then. Controls are kind of awkward too, you have to stand on the exact spot for the doors / switches to activate. Too bad, it did look fun.

15. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 23, 2010, 02:49 elefunk

Bumpy wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 21:05:
elefunk wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 20:16:
Have you played it?

There's a free demo at Steam btw.
.......have you played it?

14. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 23:52 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 22:45:
Kane & Lynch 2 isn't bad. It's not especially good either but it was entertaining enough for its 4-5 hour duration.

Even though I'm not a big fan of third-person, cover-based shooters, K&L2's atmosphere and style were enough to keep the game compelling for me.

Same here, the sort of Michael Mann meets Resevoir Dogs tone of it makes it stand amount among other shooters, and the MPEG video look is a cool idea.

I doubt for most people it is worth $50 as the multiplayer is useless, but it is a good game for $20 I would say.

13. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 22:50 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 22:45 Jerykk

Kane & Lynch 2 isn't bad. It's not especially good either but it was entertaining enough for its 4-5 hour duration.

Even though I'm not a big fan of third-person, cover-based shooters, K&L2's atmosphere and style were enough to keep the game compelling for me.

11. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 21:05 Bumpy

elefunk wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 20:16:
Have you played it?

There's a free demo at Steam btw.

10. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 20:16 elefunk

Bumpy wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 16:39:
Guess there is no accounting for taste seeing K&L2 up there.
Have you played it?

9. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 19:41 DG

I enjoyed Borderlands a lot, just finished the General Knoxx DLC, which is good value by the way (not touched the others).

I can't really say I found it very consolish, other than the (lack of) difficulty.

8. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 18:31 |RaptoR|

I bought the solo game and expansions (even though I already have it on the 360) to play... enjoyed it, found an interested friend and picked up the pack for him. 2 more friends later, I realize that I should have bought the damned 4-pack to begin with.

Ah, well! I've enjoyed this game more than any other in the past 3 years so I don't feel bad giving them money a few more times than I should've. Enjoying my 5th play through immensely!

7. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 18:10 winnetou

Alamar wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 18:06:
I personally don't mind the mouse smoothing and related issues...

What's bothering me now, is that the game still has massive freezing/crashing issues...
The steam forum had a few mentions of issues with catalyst 10.7 ai. Might be worth checking that if that's your configuration, and possibly disable catalyst control center.

6. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 18:06 Alamar

I personally don't mind the mouse smoothing and related issues...

What's bothering me now, is that the game still has massive freezing/crashing issues...

For the most part, I have no issues in single player... But I can't play more than about 45 minutes with the wife before it crashes. Checked and tried many many 'fixes'... We'll see if -onethread helps : P

-Alamar

5. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 17:35 Sir Graves

My three friends and I just got in on the 4-pack Borderlands deal and played it Friday night. So far we're loving it! But I agree, it does stink slightly of console here and there (aim-assist as a menu option on the PC version? ...And it defaults to ON?!), but once we tweaked it a bit in the .ini's (per a sticky in the steam forum) we got it feeling a lot better and the gameplay is so fun and addicting (especially with 3 other people!) that we quickly overlooked some of the wonky menu/UI weirdness.

Main thing that helped us was turning OFF mouse smoothing--which you have to edit in an .ini because it also defaults to ON and there's no option whatsoever to turn it off in the game's menu! Not cool. Because at first we all thought the game felt kind of floaty and laggy when aiming and looking around (our rigs are fine), but then when we discovered that the game secretly has mouse smoothing going by default and that you can turn it off with a quick .ini edit, well then it felt much better and more like the PC FPSes we're all used to.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2010, 17:52.

4. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 17:21 Cutter

Can't wait for freakin' Tuesday!  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 17:15 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 16:58:
Borderlands is okay, but it feels very consoleish. Not that that's a bad thing, but I smell a subpar port.

No AA support with the Steam client is a little weird to, since it's running off of UE3.

AA doesn't do much for Borderlands anyway, even if you force it. The sort of outlining stuff it does, whatever you want to call it, kind of nullifies any improvement.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 16:58 Wallshadows

Borderlands is okay, but it feels very consoleish. Not that that's a bad thing, but I smell a subpar port.

No AA support with the Steam client is a little weird to, since it's running off of UE3.

1. Re: Steam Bestsellers Aug 22, 2010, 16:39 Bumpy

Guess there is no accounting for taste seeing K&L2 up there.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo