Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE PC Interview

The RAGE interview on Shacknews is a conversation from QuakeCon with Matt Hooper asking some PC-specific questions about RAGE, id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. He talks about how the PC version will be fine-tuned and balanced to account for the higher fidelity of mouse and keyboard control and their goal of making it "just right." He also discusses the UI on the PC versus consoles: "Our goal is to really look at it separately. Yes, we go through all this trouble to have the platform parity, but we look at the PC as its own thing and so we don't hold back," he explains. "The UI is a big part of it. It's not the same. There will be some fundamental differences [when using a mouse and keyboard versus a controller], especially with UI elements."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 22, 2010, 19:57 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 02:12:
No, they were not and nothing I listed was "BS". You just literally glossed over a major function of the game being busted because you didn't use it, I mean LOL? The UI complaints were spot on, you are just playing apologist here. It has essentially no PC UI. They even hardcoded some hotkeys but not others. That's ignoring the broken stuff, for example FOV changes reset constantly so you need to map them to all of your keys. The community has since created a little app to automate a lot of this stuff but at release and for awhile after it was a total god damn mess. Gearbox even released DLC before patching the damn game which was hilarious.

Well I'm not going to go play multiplayer so I can have an opinion on it, sorry. Not sure what you want there. As for the rest, the UI problems aren't that bad, sorry. I played 30 hours of the game and they bothered me very little... and if you plug in a controller then HEY, it plays just like the console game!

Basically the singleplayer is a lot better on PC, despite the issues... same FOV, same menus, better graphics and framerate and mouse aim. Controller can be used if desired.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 22, 2010, 02:12 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 12:15:
And honestly the UI complaints were exaggerated quite madly.

No, they were not and nothing I listed was "BS". You just literally glossed over a major function of the game being busted because you didn't use it, I mean LOL? The UI complaints were spot on, you are just playing apologist here. It has essentially no PC UI. They even hardcoded some hotkeys but not others. That's ignoring the broken stuff, for example FOV changes reset constantly so you need to map them to all of your keys. The community has since created a little app to automate a lot of this stuff but at release and for awhile after it was a total god damn mess. Gearbox even released DLC before patching the damn game which was hilarious.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 12:15 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 21:54:
Not really. The console versions had playable multiplayer at release and a UI made for them. The only thing the PC version gave me was graphical options and a lot of time spent cursing Randy Pitchfords lying fucking name.

The multiplayer is a good point I guess, I don't play multi so I don't know. Everything else is BS though, because you can plug a gamepad in and get the same UI and controls but with better visuals, tweaks and framerate. Just being able to turn depth of field off makes the PC version the best one for me.

And honestly the UI complaints were exaggerated quite madly.

15. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 10:14 Shataan

I don`t know how many times Devs have said they are gonna do a PC version properly, and it always ends up being a console port to PC these days. Yet each and every time.... peeps sucker into actually believing what the Devs/Publishers say. Then they got your dough..... and that`s all she wrote.

This is why demos are more important now than ever.

Deeds not words.

14. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 10:03 space captain

i guess we will all get to find out when the game comes out in 2020  
Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 03:17 Zardoz5

Kosumo wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 01:01:
"They've said they're focusing all their effort on the controller, and the PC port is (basically) an afterthought."

Any link to show that? Where did you come across this info please?

I listened to Carmack's Quake con speech two years ago and he stated clearly that consoles are the lead platforms and PC gets what they get, game play wise at the very least. I don't trust dev's anymore to deliver on their "its not a just port" promises, regardless of who they are. The released product will tell the tale.

Then there is the whole DLC goodness they have in the pipeline. I wonder if they figured out what levels, weapons, vehicles, etc. they are going to remove yet? Rolleyes

12. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 02:57 Jerykk

It's good that they recognize that UI and general gameplay balancing needs to be tweaked for M/KB. Whether or not they actually do either of those things has yet to be seen.  

11. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 01:53 ThatOtherGuy

They said they've had to put more effort into the controller since it's new to them, and that people know they have mouse and keyboard nailed. Because, you know, they like practically invented that shit.  

10. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 01:01 Kosumo

"They've said they're focusing all their effort on the controller, and the PC port is (basically) an afterthought."

Any link to show that? Where did you come across this info please?

9. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 00:38 Creston

Unless something drastically changed in the year or so since they said it, Carmack and Hollenshead have said completely the opposite.

They've said they're focusing all their effort on the controller, and the PC port is (basically) an afterthought.

So for this guy to now say "no, no, we're putting all this effort into making m+kb the best it can be!" well, color me skeptic. Devs seem to have finally figured out that continuously saying "We don't give a shit about the PC," leads to lower sales on the PC, so now they're all in lie/damage control mode, and talk about how awesomely different their game will be on the PC, and how optimized, and all that shit.

And in the end you get Borderlands.

Creston

8. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 21, 2010, 00:02 Jerykk

"No, with the modern consoles that are linked online, you have a lot of the advantages that used to be only on the PC. You do have space to download, especially because the people that play our games tend to have hard drives--they aren't playing the [Xbox 360] Arcade systems. We have the same advantages. There's nothing specific that the consoles will have left out."

This isn't really accurate. MS requires that all 360 games be playable without a hard drive. And if you want to patch your game, the patch has to be 4 MB or less because that's how much space they give you on their content server.

7. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 22:15 LittleMe

Yeah I'm going to take id for their word (for now) on this. They've been making PC games for, what, almost 20 years now. Comparing them with Gearbox is rather absurd.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 21:54 Verno

Not really. The console versions had playable multiplayer at release and a UI made for them. The only thing the PC version gave me was graphical options and a lot of time spent cursing Randy Pitchfords lying fucking name.

id on the other hand has been making PC games for so long that I don't think they could consolize a game and then lie about it to their customers. id may be unoriginal and their games fairly ho-hum but they are honest and support their products.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

5. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 21:26 StingingVelvet

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 20:46:
I actually trust id in this case, Borderlands on the other hand turned out exactly as I expected it too. Awful on PC.

Still better than the console version by a wide margin.

4. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 20:46 NicklePop

I actually trust id in this case, Borderlands on the other hand turned out exactly as I expected it too. Awful on PC.  

3. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 20:45 Overon

I hope there is truth to what they say. I have no reason to think what they are saying is not true.  

2. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 20:26 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 20:20:
All talk, just like Borderlands guys said PC version would be properly setup on PC, look how that turned out. I'll believe an unconsolized game when I see it.

id is a bit of a different animal than Gearbox though, wouldn't you agree?

1. Re: RAGE PC Interview Aug 20, 2010, 20:20 Bumpy

All talk, just like Borderlands guys said PC version would be properly setup on PC, look how that turned out. I'll believe an unconsolized game when I see it.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo