Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results

Steam News announces the latest Steam Hardware Survey Results are now available, covering the month of July. This also includes the first results of their new software survey, showing the most popular software applications (besides Steam, of course) on users' systems to be Adobe Flash Player on almost 97% of machine's surveyed. Major trends are 59.11% of systems using NVIDIA graphics cards, over 60% of systems using DirectX 10 or 11, and a 15% increase in the number of quad-core systems.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 23, 2010, 01:43 Ant

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2010, 01:37:
Using an nag-screen protected app after Trial Period isn't exactly legal - it just has a less strict enforcement of the rules.
Meh, it won't stop us.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 23, 2010, 01:37 eRe4s3r

Using an nag-screen protected app after Trial Period isn't exactly legal - it just has a less strict enforcement of the rules.  

28. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 23, 2010, 00:21 Ant

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2010, 00:07:
Its checking for default browser (a registry setting) and given the kind of "customers" that use Steam and opt-in to this Survey - this number is not surprising. It only means other browsers are default, not that its "uninstalled"

Whats more surprising is winrar so high - the amount of users that pirated that is prolly 99%

I am guessing steam didn't check for Dtools though...
Um, you can use WinRAR after 30 days. It just nags you when you run WinRAR program.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

27. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 23, 2010, 00:07 eRe4s3r

Its checking for default browser (a registry setting) and given the kind of "customers" that use Steam and opt-in to this Survey - this number is not surprising. It only means other browsers are default, not that its "uninstalled"

Whats more surprising is winrar so high - the amount of users that pirated that is prolly 99%

I am guessing steam didn't check for Dtools though...

26. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 22, 2010, 15:25 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 15:18:
Ant wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 14:16:
Hmm, I can't seem to find details about it beside screen capture and video recorder. Is this like a game launcher too?

Didn't you just want a recorder? I don't think it has a launcher on it. I actually haven't used it in a while but when I did it was simple, provided a good amount of options (quality, size, sound, hotkeys, etc) and didn't slow my game down as much as xfire did.
Yeah, just a recorder. I couldn't find any more details from its web site. Also, why do we need to sign up just to use it?

25. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 22, 2010, 15:18 Sepharo

Ant wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 14:16:
Hmm, I can't seem to find details about it beside screen capture and video recorder. Is this like a game launcher too?

Didn't you just want a recorder? I don't think it has a launcher on it. I actually haven't used it in a while but when I did it was simple, provided a good amount of options (quality, size, sound, hotkeys, etc) and didn't slow my game down as much as xfire did.

24. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 22, 2010, 14:16 Ant

Sepharo wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 13:38:
Ant wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 22:07:
jimnms wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 19:47:
Dev wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 18:09:
Also a number with FRAPS. I'd LIKE to have it, but the legit version is almost $40! Kinda expensive for my taste for what it is. If they'd ever have a sale I'd jump on it.
How many of those FRAPS users are using a cracked version of FRAPS or the free version (limited to 30 second clips)? XFire can capture video, and it's free. That's the only reason I have it installed.
Is there a stand alone Xfire's video recorder? I don't care about its server stuff and other features. In fact, I still have GamesSpy Arcade and I don't know why I still have it even though I don't use and play online games that much these days.

My favorite easy-to-use recording software is the client provided by http://www.wegame.com/

23. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 22, 2010, 13:38 Sepharo

Ant wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 22:07:
Also a number with FRAPS. I'd LIKE to have it, but the legit version is almost $40! Kinda expensive for my taste for what it is. If they'd ever have a sale I'd jump on it.
How many of those FRAPS users are using a cracked version of FRAPS or the free version (limited to 30 second clips)? XFire can capture video, and it's free. That's the only reason I have it installed.
Is there a stand alone Xfire's video recorder? I don't care about its server stuff and other features. In fact, I still have GamesSpy Arcade and I don't know why I still have it even though I don't use and play online games that much these days.

My favorite easy-to-use recording software is the client provided by http://www.wegame.com/

22. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 22, 2010, 10:41 SpectralMeat

$40 for Fraps?
Holy shit, I have the full version but I think I paid something like $10 or $20 couple of years ago. Wow price really did jump on that software.

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 22:07 Ant

20. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 20:44 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 12:18:
Traffic maybe, but installs? I mean I have uTorrent and it has probably been used 3 times in the last few months. Just because it is on my system doesn't mean I am downloading shit constantly.

I said "lets not kid ourselves", not "lets stretch incredulous scenarios"

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

19. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 12:18 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 00:24:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 20:30:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 19:11:
uTorrent at nearly 30% but no tracking of Daemon Tools.

30% ain't bad really, and many of those (like me) use it only for legal content. Well... I download TV shows when I miss them, but I doubt that's high on the list of internet evils.

Let's not kid ourselves here, legal torrent usage is probably a single digit percentile of all torrent traffic

Traffic maybe, but installs? I mean I have uTorrent and it has probably been used 3 times in the last few months. Just because it is on my system doesn't mean I am downloading shit constantly.

18. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 10:13 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 05:09:
It doesn't bother anyone else that steam snoops that much information on what people have on their systems at all? Whats next is Valve going to copy down my bank account password and empty my account out too?

For a platform that's supposed to be a PC game delivery system, they sure seem to have quite a few extra features that prolly aren't really needed.

Boy you look silly. The Steam Survey is opt-in, you are specifically asked every time it comes up if you want to participate.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 19.82%

No way. Even if IE marketshare dropped to 20%, still 99% of Windows people wouldn't bother uninstalling it once they'd put in their browser of choice.

Yeah I'm not sure how they came up with that one either, it doesn't reflect the still massive marketshare that IE commands due to integration.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2010, 10:21.

17. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 08:44 Kajetan

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 05:09:
It doesn't bother anyone else that steam snoops that much information on what people have on their systems at all?
No. Because they ask, before they "snoop".

16. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 08:42 DG

Microsoft Internet Explorer 19.82%

No way. Even if IE marketshare dropped to 20%, still 99% of Windows people wouldn't bother uninstalling it once they'd put in their browser of choice.

15. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 05:09 RollinThundr

It doesn't bother anyone else that steam snoops that much information on what people have on their systems at all? Whats next is Valve going to copy down my bank account password and empty my account out too?

For a platform that's supposed to be a PC game delivery system, they sure seem to have quite a few extra features that prolly aren't really needed.

14. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 21, 2010, 00:24 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 20:30:

30% ain't bad really, and many of those (like me) use it only for legal content. Well... I download TV shows when I miss them, but I doubt that's high on the list of internet evils.

Let's not kid ourselves here, legal torrent usage is probably a single digit percentile of all torrent traffic

13. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 20, 2010, 21:51 Genesys

Only 19.82% of machines be running Internet Explorer? I wonder where they're getting that from. Also, 19.45% have Winamp installed, which is sort of surprising since AOL doesn't even advertise it.

12. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 20, 2010, 20:45 Kxmode

Wait until Valve starts tracking websites stats.

analtennissex.com is probably going to be #1. What?! I'm just saying. Inquisitive

11. Re: Steam Hardware/Software Survey Results Aug 20, 2010, 20:30 StingingVelvet

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo