Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mafia with Mafia II Preorders

Preordering the Mafia II Digital Deluxe Edition on Direct2Drive now carries an added bonus, as this now comes with a free copy of the original Mafia. The release of the open-world crime sequel is currently expected on August 24, which is when this offer expires. The Mafia II Digital Deluxe Edition of the game includes the Made Man Pack, a digital art book, the game's soundtrack, and a digital map of Empire Bay.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 21, 2010, 19:22 Jerykk

Does anyone else get nervous when publishers try to over-sweeten pre-orders with "gifts" so people buy a game before they see or before reviews come out?

Not really. This is what publishers do. They want you to buy their games at full price as soon as possible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 21, 2010, 08:52 xXBatmanXx

I know gifts are not inherently bad but...

Does anyone else get nervous when publishers try to over-sweeten pre-orders with "gifts" so people buy a game before they see or before reviews come out

Nope. Cause no one is going to go out and buy Mafia anymore.....SO why not give it away?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 21, 2010, 01:39 Sepharo

Yeah I saw that update and suspected it would be different.  

11. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 20:12 jimnms

Speaking of Mafia II, they just patched the demo and it put the timer back in. I used a hex editor to look for the line to take it out, and it has changed.  

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 18:43 StingingVelvet

I guess I know why they started selling Steamworks games again, as most games are Steamworks now sadly, but it's still weird to buy a D2D game and then just get a Steam version of it.

I have my retail collector's edition preordered on amazon, in any case. No free Mafia game for me despite paying more than all these people, but hey, I still own it on disc anyway.

9. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 17:15 SBlat

Ecthelion wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:16:
I meant the included version of Mafia 1, not Mafia 2. I know Mafia 2 needs Steam regardless of where you buy it, which I said in my previous post.

I'd guess it does use Steam. They don't actually have Mafia 1 for sale on their site, the page just has the logo for Mafia 2. Also they promise to let you "play Mafia 1 now", which isn't something D2D usually does -- unlike Steam they have no way of disabling the free game if the preorder doesn't pan out.

So I imagine they're just piggybacking on Steam's offer of Mafia 1. Maybe with special pre-order codes, or maybe they provide your Mafia 2 code immediately and any copy activated on Steam before release gets a free copy of Mafia 1.

Seems like handling cancellations of the multi-service pre-order would be a huge pain, but from googling it looks like D2D maybe doesn't accept cancellations on any preorders.

8. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 16:20 Zyrxil

HardCore wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:08:

Does anyone else get nervous when publishers try to over-sweeten pre-orders with "gifts" so people buy a game before they see or before reviews come out?
Not really, it's almost standard practice these days. You know what didn't have pre-order gifts? Kane & Lynch 2. That's reviewing real well.

7. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 14:19 SpectralMeat

Oh I see
No I don't think Mafia 1 uses Steam at all, but that is just my guess.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 14:16 Ecthelion

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:04:
Ecthelion wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:01:
I wonder if the D2D copy of Mafia requires Steam as well?

• Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game)include nVidia PhysX_drivers 10.04.02_9.10.0522and nVidia GPU drivers 197.13 or latest, Steam Client and Microsoft DirectX.

• I meant the included version of Mafia 1, not Mafia 2. I know Mafia 2 needs Steam regardless of where you buy it, which I said in my previous post.

5. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 14:08 HardCore

I'm still amazed at the expectation of publishers in the gaming industry, and that people easily succumb to the idea, that customers should buy software before seeing the final product.
    Especially when we are told the demo is not like the final build nor the level like it is in the game context, whatever that ambiguity means.

Then 2K games keeps responding to questions on bugs, on the forums, that not much has changed since the demo and that the demo should reflect what to expect. I know the dangers of multiplatoforming all to well, not to beat a dead horse, but common sense logic still dictates there is alot of extra resources wasted and game features cut to multiplatform, in the same or lesser time frames. So I just can't jump in with both feet after playing little more than a tech demo.

Not that I want to slap a gift horse in the mouth, but I've been bit by those horses before.
    I guess I have been burned too many times with hype, so when publishers start adding on gifts to sugar cote the deal, in order to buy sight unseen, when the game alone should sell itself, I start wondering.

4. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 14:04 SpectralMeat

Ecthelion wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:01:

• Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game)include nVidia PhysX_drivers 10.04.02_9.10.0522and nVidia GPU drivers 197.13 or latest, Steam Client and Microsoft DirectX.

•  

3. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 14:02 SpectralMeat

kimbambaman wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 13:58:
    This is the same offer that has been on Steam for a while now.
    Yes D2D likes to copy Steam sales/offers. I find it amusing how they set their prices to like 4 cents less then Steam.
    Steam price $59.99
    D2D price $59.95

2. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 14:01 Ecthelion

kimbambaman wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 13:58:
    Not only that, but the game requires Steam to run, so it's just a matter of choosing who gets your money - Direct2Drive or Steam. You'll be playing it on Steam regardless.

1. Re: Mafia with Mafia II Preorders Aug 20, 2010, 13:58 kimbambaman

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo