Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam Client

Steam News announces the release of an updated version of the Steam client. The new version introduces a new tabbed interface for chatting and browsing, among other new features and fixes, which are all outlined in the change list below.

New Features

• Updated friends chats to use new tabbed chat interface (see Friends tab in the Settings dialog to turn off opening in new tabs by default)
  • Updated in-game overlay browser to use new tabbed browsing interface (Use Middle click on links to open-in-new-tab)
  • Tabbed Browser/Chat HotKeys: Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab to switch tabs. Ctrl-W, Ctrl-F4 or Middle click to close tabs.
  • Updated WebKit code for client/in-game browser (improved stability and performance on OSX, various browser fixes)
  • Windows: 64 bit build of the in-game overlay (useable now with any 64bit non-Steam game you may add)
  • Windows: 64 bit builds of Steamworks DLLs (for upcoming titles)

Fixes

• New non-blocking game uninstall dialog
  • Improved client shutdown times
  • Fix some cases of Steam becoming unresponsive for 5-10 seconds when new game updates are released
  • Fixed unused game tags still showing up
  • Reinstalling from a goldmaster triggers a content verification if the game is already installed
  • Fixed sometimes needing to restart Steam after installing PhysX
  • Changed overlay hot-key detection to not consider ctrl-shift-tab to be the same as shift-tab, thus allowing its use in tabbed chat/browsing in-game
  • Fixed “hidden” achievements showing up in the game details page and overlay “so close…” ui
  • Fixed a crash on shutdown
  • Fixed an issue with input tab ordering in group chats
  • Increased timeouts on Steam Cloud file uploads
  • Fixed Rabobank payment page for iDEAL checkout not showing correctly in the Steam Client
  • Fixed a bug parsing certain HTML tags inside News bodies
  • Fixed top half of avatar images in chats not being right clickable for context menu
  • Fixed a potential crash when failing to parse new stats/achievements data for a game
  • Fixed bug/exploit with malformed www. URLs in chats
  • Windows: Fixed the “alt” key sometimes sticking in the in-game overlay after an alt-tab event
  • Windows: Improved overlay compatibility with some previously conflicting third party applications
  • Windows: Fixes to progress bar on win7 task icon in handling paused downloads as well as finished downloads
  • OSX: Fix several memory leaks
  • OSX: Fix copy/paste resulting in extra random string data

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 21:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Zyrxil wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 20:46:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 18:12:
Yes, because a Metacritic number without any context whatsoever is incredibly useful information.
It's better than not having it. I can click through for context if I want.
What's the point of the Metacritic score...on a list of games you already own?
Nevermind. Thought it was the Metacritic score on the store games that was missing. That's the only one I care about.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 20:46 Zyrxil

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 18:12:
Yes, because a Metacritic number without any context whatsoever is incredibly useful information.
What's the point of the Metacritic score...on a list of games you already own?

6. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 18:15 SBlat

bhcompy wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 16:00:
joe2tiger wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:52:
How is that a bad thing that it looks like a MP3 player? I like the look.

The list of games is horrendous. The Metacritic score is gone. The news doesn't display when there is new news. The storefront is worse than it was before. etc. Too simplistic interface

There are different views available. On the middle view ("List"), you can right-click the column titles or click the "+" in the right-corner above the scrollbar to toggle which columns are available, including Metacritic. If you switch to icons rather than images, it should be just about the same as the original list, except with categorization. I also just noticed that there is a "+" above the scrollbar in "Details" view, and you can toggle on icons there too, which I like the look of (basically the same as "Small mode" tacked onto the side of the details page).

The new interface is ok for me, I like the extra info shown on each game's detail view and it doesn't really get in the way otherwise. I especially like all the additional improvements that came with it like multiple downloads and not locking up for 5 minutes while checking for updates to my entire library when launching a game. I also like the new overlay, with its clock and real, working web browser.

If I was going to complain about the new interface's assault on all that is good, I'd probably highlight the fact that "Games" is now listed as a secondary, sub-level tab. Which is kind of a worrying indication.

Windows: Improved overlay compatibility with some previously conflicting third party applications
Huh, it's working with minecraft now. And right as the author is heading to Bellevue, WA to meet with an unnamed company.

5. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 18:12 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 17:30 Dr. D. Schreber

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

3. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 16:00 bhcompy

joe2tiger wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 14:52:

The list of games is horrendous. The Metacritic score is gone. The news doesn't display when there is new news. The storefront is worse than it was before. etc. Too simplistic interface

2. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 14:52 joe2tiger

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

1. Re: New Steam Client Aug 20, 2010, 14:21 bhcompy

hows about a skin for the pre-mac'd steam? thing looks like an mp3 player now  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo