Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

BitMob - High Noon at the Co-op Corral- The Death of Local Multiplayer.
I want you to participate in an experiment: Venture over to Co-Optimus.com and find a handful of games you like that came out in this console generation. How many of them have offline co-op? How many of them require the Internet to utilize the local co-op? Do you want to play a local co-op version of Modern Warfare when you know most of its development time went into its online components? Probably not. This is the problem.

Extra Credits - Where Did Survival Horror Go? Thanks Morris.
Today we ask the question "Where did the Survival Horror genre go?"

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Co-op. Aug 21, 2010, 21:46 Ant

I loved co-op. especially in DOOM games. I hope Portal 2 does it well and brings it back for future games!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. co-op play Aug 20, 2010, 17:48 D_K_night

The death of local co-op occurred because of:

- split screen just doesn't work for certain popular game genres, especially after you've played them on a PC. Split-screen Counterstrike? No.

- Examples like Turtles in Time - that game's a side scroller, which naturally lends itself to co-op play, or puzzle games like Tetris. The new version sucked, but that's the fault of the new version, not the fault of local multiplayer as a concept.

- Due to powerful consoles, Arcades just died here in the West. I don't know if they're still huge in the East. The last arcade place around where I live, closed shop years ago. The price of admission was expensive, the place wasn't busy, and it just didn't work out. All the fighting-game fans have long departed the fighting scene altogether, or they just played at home.

- Remember that interview between Next Generation magazine and Rare(they used to develop solely for Nintendo SNES and so on?). How they said "I find playing a stranger online very alien." Well, good that they woke up and smelled the roses.

Gamers have just evolved with the times. If long gone, are the days of everyone piling up at one friend's place to play video games, shrug - that's just how it is now.

2. Re: Where did the Survival Horror genre go? Aug 20, 2010, 13:42 the_culture

I'd like to know as well. That was one of my favorite genres.  

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2010, 13:32 Dr. D. Schreber

Offline co-op gets less attention because it lets more people play without buying the game, whereas co-op over the Internet means all of your friends have to buy a copy, too. Puzzle solved.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo