Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Underway?

The rumor-oriented "Spy" column in the latest print issue of PC Gamer has an unconfirmed report that Far Cry 3 is currently in development at Ubisoft Montreal under the leadership of Josh Mosqueira, formerly of Relic Entertainment. Thanks Big Download, where they reference previous rumors that a third installment in the shooter series will return to the African setting of Far Cry 2.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 23, 2010, 18:52 Wowbagger_TIP

Really, it "all points to blah blah"? I don't really agree and some of your complaints are pretty vague and generalized so I have no idea what you're even referring to. The respawn stuff I agree with but so does everyone else. No one said it was a game without flaws.
You don't know what the lack of friendly AI is? Basically it's the fact that everyone in Africa hates you so much that they will try to kill you on sight, unless you're in one of the designated neutral zones. They use the "secret mission" excuse to prevent them from having to actually implement factions in the game. Lack of mission variety is pretty obvious I think. The point is that when you consider all the sketchy and just obviously bad decisions that went into the game, it appears that it was either poorly designed or rushed or both.

Far Cry 2 really had nothing to do with Far Cry 1 and the games don't even play remotely the same. Whether that's good or bad in the context of the series doesn't really have any bearing on the second games merits or lack thereof. You can't seem to decide if you're upset with the game or angry because it wasn't Far Cry 1.
If you're implying that they were just creating something completely different and calling it a sequel, then I'd have to say that that's just fucking stupid and they deserve all the hate they get for just trying to trade on the Far Cry name for cash. The other option is that you're wrong and it was intended to be a sequel, in spirit if not in story. In that case they missed the mark by half-assing the game mechanics that could have been good if they'd spent the time to implement them well.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 23, 2010, 09:18 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 22, 2010, 13:43:
No, the complaint was that the implementation of the gun decay was just stupid.

No, you're just really reading into it what you want to, the full text was (including his amusing Ubishite comment at the bottom):

Other dumb game mechanics they need to address from FC2:

# guns that degrade/jam/die after only a couple of clips

# having a bunch of enemies shoot at you for 5 mins whilst you circle round their camp; you take them out and loot the weapons to replenish your ammo, only to find 4 or 5 bullets on each corpse

# respawning checkpoints (can't say that enough!)

But it's a Ubishite game, so will have purchase-killing DRM and so not really an issue, after all.

Guns that decay within the span of firing a few clips, but didn't so much as jam once on the guy you stole it from? That makes no sense and is so inconsistent that it's clear they didn't bother to try to balance the game. They just made quick and dirty changes to parameters to try to achieve the affect they wanted on the player, even though those changes made no sense in the game world.

This is common in most games but I don't see you in those threads bemoaning it. The fact is that the protagonist is often at an advantage over the AI so to make up for that you have to balance by letting the AI follow more a dubious ruleset or just hit the player with sheer numbers. Could they have done a better job implementing gun decay for example? Sure, I would have chosen a different route but it was not the game ruining debacle you make it out to be.

These guys weren't even trying. When considered in light of the lack of friendly AI, the retarded respawn decisions, the lack of mission variety, all of it points to half-assed design and/or rushed implementation.

Really, it "all points to blah blah"? I don't really agree and some of your complaints are pretty vague and generalized so I have no idea what you're even referring to. The respawn stuff I agree with but so does everyone else. No one said it was a game without flaws.

If this game wasn't aimed at me, then I have no idea who they thought their target audience was. With a sequel, it's generally understood that you're targeting the people who liked the previous game. I loved Far Cry, and played through it several times. I'm not the only one who loved the first one and thought the second was a serious disappointment either.

Far Cry 2 really had nothing to do with Far Cry 1 and the games don't even play remotely the same. Whether that's good or bad in the context of the series doesn't really have any bearing on the second games merits or lack thereof. You can't seem to decide if you're upset with the game or angry because it wasn't Far Cry 1.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

32. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 22, 2010, 13:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Actually that's what he was complaining about.
No, the complaint was that the implementation of the gun decay was just stupid. Guns that decay within the span of firing a few clips, but didn't so much as jam once on the guy you stole it from? That makes no sense and is so inconsistent that it's clear they didn't bother to try to balance the game. They just made quick and dirty changes to parameters to try to achieve the affect they wanted on the player, even though those changes made no sense in the game world.

You can disagree with the way its implemented but I suspect "make them fun" consists of "remove them" to most of you whether you want to admit it or not. I doubt gun decay going all the way to the extreme would have suddenly made the game enjoyable if you didn't like it already.
Well, you'd be absolutely wrong about that. I don't mind the idea of the decay. It could certainly add something to the game if it had been implemented in a way that made sense. The whole inventory and weapon system was pretty dumb in this game though. Obviously designed for console simplicity. Guns fall apart from decay in less than an hour, but buying a gun from a dealer gets you unlimited numbers of them available from any safe house. These guys weren't even trying. When considered in light of the lack of friendly AI, the retarded respawn decisions, the lack of mission variety, all of it points to half-assed design and/or rushed implementation.

If this game wasn't aimed at me, then I have no idea who they thought their target audience was. With a sequel, it's generally understood that you're targeting the people who liked the previous game. I loved Far Cry, and played through it several times. I'm not the only one who loved the first one and thought the second was a serious disappointment either. So I'm thinking they missed the mark with their game. You'd rather blame the customers for not liking the game. Given the attitudes we see from some developers, I'm surprised you're not running one of the dev shops. You seem to have the appropriate "blame the customer" attitude for it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

31. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 22, 2010, 11:56 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 21, 2010, 12:38:
Of course they don't jam until you pick one up, and the bad guys will have 5 bullets on them whether they shot at you for 5 minutes, or you sniped them before they ever saw you. Really, don't try to defend this crap. It's ridiculous.

No I think will defend it because you guys are unreasonable. Of course the rules are different for the player than the AI, the odds are already stacked against them. It's incredibly difficult to balance gameplay where both parties have to abide 100% by the games rules.

It's not about streamlining, it's about it making no fucking sense at all! It certainly was lazy. We're not complaining that there was a gun decay mechanic, or limited ammo mechanic in the game.

Actually that's what he was complaining about.

We're complaining about the half-assed way they implemented them. I don't want a streamlined shooter. If I wanted that, I'd go play fucking Halo or some other retarded game like that.

You can disagree with the way its implemented but I suspect "make them fun" consists of "remove them" to most of you whether you want to admit it or not. I doubt gun decay going all the way to the extreme would have suddenly made the game enjoyable if you didn't like it already.

The game needed improvement in many areas but it was not an unfinished mess like you imply and it feels like the gameplay was not aimed at some of you in the first place.

30. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 21, 2010, 19:20 Jerykk

a solid cover system that was very natural and based off good collision detection rather than the waist high wall in the middle of hallways.

Uh, Far Cry 2 didn't have a cover "system." You just stood/crouched behind cover like in every other FPS.

29. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 21, 2010, 12:38 Wowbagger_TIP

You do realize that many weapons in third world countries are poorly maintained and thats why they jam, right? Likewise if people have been expending ammo for 5 minutes then I would expect them to have little or none left when you go to loot their corpse. What you need is a non-realism mode or lower difficulty. I thought the little touches like that were what set Far Cry 2 apart from any other shooter on the market.
Of course they don't jam until you pick one up, and the bad guys will have 5 bullets on them whether they shot at you for 5 minutes, or you sniped them before they ever saw you. Really, don't try to defend this crap. It's ridiculous.

It's actually the opposite of lazy, it takes a lot more work in development. As I said, I think what you need is a different type of shooter, Far Cry 2 wasn't a shooter that featured streamlined gameplay mechanics.
It's not about streamlining, it's about it making no fucking sense at all! It certainly was lazy. We're not complaining that there was a gun decay mechanic, or limited ammo mechanic in the game. We're complaining about the half-assed way they implemented them. I don't want a streamlined shooter. If I wanted that, I'd go play fucking Halo or some other retarded game like that.

I want them to finish the damn game and implement these features in a way that makes sense and is actually fun! They made a great-looking game, but forgot to add actual, fun gameplay. The repetitive nature of the missions, the maddening respawning, the lack of non-hostile AI, it just all reeks of a rushed game that they didn't bother to finish.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2010, 12:46.

28. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 16:26 Number6

Boooooring.

For as nice as that game looked, it was just no fun for me. I think part of it was the fact that I could not get behind the story at all. No matter what, I felt like I was playing a bad guy.

27. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 10:59 Verno

Moog wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 10:24:
The gun decay and very limited ammo-loot were just 2 lazy game mechanics, IMHO of course.

It's actually the opposite of lazy, it takes a lot more work in development. As I said, I think what you need is a different type of shooter, Far Cry 2 wasn't a shooter that featured streamlined gameplay mechanics. There are literally 50 other shooters for people who like that kind of thing, leave us this game please

26. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 10:34 Fion

Looking forward to this. Farcry 2 had it's issues, particularly the redundant content, but it was a solid shooter with some nice mechanics behind it. Weapon customization, fire propagation, a solid cover system that was very natural and based off good collision detection rather than the waist high wall in the middle of hallways. The way you could customize your gear selection to allow you to pretty dramatically alter how you approached the gameplay.

Not to mention the healing system was fantastic and frankly I'd much prefer to see other shooters adopt FC2's healing system any day of the week over fucking passive regeneration.

IMHO it wasn't a bad game. If they keep the same systems in FC3 and create more dynamic and less redundant gameplay, they'd have a winner.

25. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 10:24 Moog

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 09:36:
You do realize that many weapons in third world countries are poorly maintained and thats why they jam, right? Likewise if people have been expending ammo for 5 minutes then I would expect them to have little or none left when you go to loot their corpse. What you need is a non-realism mode or lower difficulty. I thought the little touches like that were what set Far Cry 2 apart from any other shooter on the market.

If you're going to have 'realism' like that then do it properly.
I played the game through to the end, regretfully, and never once did I encounter an opponent who had a gun jam or had run out of ammo. If I snuck up on a guard and nailed him before he'd fired a shot, he'd still only have a half-clip of ammo but if I'd have spooked him, he would have been firing at me from a magical endless stack of ammo in his magical never-jam gun.

The gun decay and very limited ammo-loot were just 2 lazy game mechanics, IMHO of course.

24. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 10:23 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 09:36:
Moog wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 05:03:

• guns that degrade/jam/die after only a couple of clips

• having a bunch of enemies shoot at you for 5 mins whilst you circle round their camp; you take them out and loot the weapons to replenish your ammo, only to find 4 or 5 bullets on each corpse

• But it's a Ubishite game, so will have purchase-killing DRM and so not really an issue, after all.

Yeah, I gotta admit that I thought I would hate the gun-jamming mechanism, but I found I quite enjoyed it. It gave you an incentive to get new guns from the arms dealer, and it led to some very tense moments where my gun jammed right at the most inopportune moment.

What I really enjoyed about FC2 were the setpieces. Having a big ass gunfight with a few dozen mercs who are approaching over a rope bridge, while you're taking potshots out the windows of a small cabin that's overlooking a waterfall was pretty awesome.

I also loved the big bus graveyard, since you had no clue where all your enemies were, made it pretty tense.

The respawns were annoying because they happened way too quickly. They should have given each checkpoint a CHANCE to respawn every time you went to sleep (and made it so you had to go to sleep in order to stay in optimal condition. You could stay awake 50 days in a row without problem,) that way after you'd done a mission, you could drive back in relative safety because you'd already wiped out the checkpoints.

The whole "oh, you're on a secret mission for us, so our faction guys will shoot at you too" was just bullshit and fucking lazy on the dev's side. If you're gonna have factions, then fucking IMPLEMENT them, and if I'm working for one faction, have those guys not shoot at me.

Let's hope they're taking all the complaints to heart, because if they do, FC3 could be an AWESOME game.

And then Ubi will saddle it with bullshit DRM, and nobody will buy it.

Creston

23. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 10:04 xXBatmanXx

hmmm, never finished FC1.
    Have FC2 collecting dust....

BRING IT ON!@!!!

heheheh

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 09:36 Verno

Moog wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 05:03:

• having a bunch of enemies shoot at you for 5 mins whilst you circle round their camp; you take them out and loot the weapons to replenish your ammo, only to find 4 or 5 bullets on each corpse

• But it's a Ubishite game, so will have purchase-killing DRM and so not really an issue, after all.

21. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 05:03 Moog

• respawning checkpoints (can't say that enough!)

20. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 04:21 theyarecomingforyou

I really enjoyed Far Cry 2 but it wasn't quite a great game. It was too repetitive, all the decisions you made were meaningless, the vehicle chases (with the engine revving sound) were horribly irritating, everyone was hostile and you spent half your time heading to weapons huts to replace your broken weapons. I'm no expert but it shouldn't take just a single day for an SMG to disintegrate. And the driving was great but the entire game shouldn't revolve around it.

However, the core gameplay was awesome, the world incredibly immersive, the voice acting / animations very good and it was just amazing to look at all the different scenery. If they'd added mod support then we could have some incredible games by now.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
    Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 01:17 cronik

Far Cry 2 is a shining city upon a hill whose beacon light guides freedom-loving people everywhere.  

18. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 00:41 BigDaddy-CF-

I think the Lenovo Thinkvision is probably the best monitor from the start since it had the higher luminosity threshold of the 3, but I was able to color/luminosity match the monitors using an Eye 1 Display 2. The Huey pro doesn't do luminosity matching so don't buy it if you're trying to match brightness across multiple monitors. The only problem was that's fine for Extended desktops/cloned desktops in windows but once the 3 panels are converted into one monitor as far as windows is concerned you can no longer use those 3 color profiles. You have to use AMD's Catalyst Control Center tools for applying the different color profiles per monitor. To match them for EyeFinity mode I had to go through the Eye 1 Display 2 matching process which uses both the built-in monitor controls and color profiles to match the monitors up. I then had to look at the differences between the color profiles created by the E1D2 for each monitor, and go in and manually set those per monitor color settings in the Catalyst monitor settings. When you go back to an extended desktop it uses the individual monitor profiles again. So a bit convoluted but it works. The three monitors ended up being limited by the maximum luminosity threshold of the BenQ since it had the lowest luminosity threshold of the 3. These three monitors are as close as I could get them in specs at the time since my first monitor the BenQ 2400WD disappeared from the market by the time I had the money to get my other 2 panels, and in fact all the 24" 1900x1200 monitors were being phased out in favor of 27" monitors with that resolution since everyone knows its cheaper to manufacture larger monitors at a given resolution than to cram that same number of pixels into a smaller space. All are TN panels with 19x12 resolution 2ms grey-to-grey response times and exactly the same vertical screen sizes. Good luck to anyone building a non-homegenous 3 display EyeFinity setup though even when you have 3 of the same panels you will be dealing with trying to balance the differences between them you just won't be having to deal with variable bezel sizes. As far as blasted for $2500 TV I have no wife, or kids...big suprize right? Still I saved up from 2005-> to purchase all that and still had to buy in bits and pieces for the last 2 years. Being a full time student and a full time employee is not always all it's cracked up to be but at least I have a job right....

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2010, 01:11.

17. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 20, 2010, 00:06 Grifter

the most irritating aspects for me were the stupid respawn.

The uselesss have comrade come in and save you, when you have quicksave

factions that were totally indistinguishable outside of the safezones.

and last but not least. The game had you do the same 4 missions, over and over and over and over againg for like 40 hours

FC2 had so much potential but Ubi really screwed it up

16. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 19, 2010, 23:36 StingingVelvet

Bludd wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 22:22:
    1) don't make a game where you shoot people left and right, blow up their stuff and set fire to everything and then start moralising you at the end and trying to be all documentary and shit
    2) don't have those idiotic checkpoints and respawns
    3) don't make a sandbox game and then tell us we have choices and they impact stuff when the choices you make mean nothing because the two measly factions you choose between are identical and basically nothing matters
    4) don't deus ex machina us with some bullshit disease
    5) do make the world more alive, you see civilians in the half-life style intro, but then they are replaced by an entire country out to kill just you. for instance, when you drive along a road and then suddenly hear a revving engine, you can bet your gullible ass (because you bought this shit game) that some crazy npc is going to ram your car head first
    6) do use that engine again because it was the only good thing about the whole damn game

oh I hate FC2.

I think you hit everything on the head there, good going. Follow these simple rules to gaming success, Ubi.

15. Re: Far Cry 3 Underway? Aug 19, 2010, 23:34 Beamer

Intel X-25MG1 80GB, 5 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black, 2 TB WD Caviar Black

Someone's got a lot of porn!

And I'd like to know which monitor he likes best, and if having 3 different ones is an issue at all.

And wow, I get blasted for a $2500 TV. That's a hell of a lot of cash in that PC. Damn nice setup.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo