Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed

The Call of Duty: Black Ops Forums have a confirmation from Treyarch that the upcoming installment in the military shooter series will have a dev console, also confirming that there will indeed be mod support after the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops, though the exact nature of this is still not clear (thanks joao). Here's word:

We plan to open the game up for modding sometime post-launch. We do not know yet to what extent you will be able to mod the game. There are some purely technical issues related to engine and internal tool enhancements that do not easily fit the modtools paradigm. We have looked at it close enough to see that it is non-trivial and we will have to pick it up again post-launch. Right now we are completely focused on finishing the game.

And, dev console: confirmed.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 17:33 Dr. D. Schreber

zirik wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 04:15:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 02:00:
(Oh, yeah, and all those WaW servers where standing isn't allowed. WTF.)

haha. that mod is silly. first saw it on a counter strike server. if you stand around doing nothing the server starts to kick your player around the map with hit damage until your character dies. then you get temp ban from the server.

I've never seen it as a mod, just a server rule. The server will be labeled "tactical realism" and any of the server's clan will yell at you for standing at all, moving while standing, or moving while standing but not ADS while doing so, depending on the server's specific "rules." I stopped playing WaW because these servers were becoming increasingly hard to miss, oftentimes the server name (basically the only part of the browser you can describe it at all) has no clues about it, so I'd get into a server with good ping and the amount of players I like only for cries of "OMFG NO STANDING WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU FOLLOW THE RULES THIS IS A TACTICAL SERVER!" to start shortly thereafter.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 10:51 xXBatmanXx

I really enjoyed Modern Warefare 1 and World at War....you know...when they actually had dedicated servers and admins......

But, even with that, cheaters are still rampant. Which sucks, as the two above games I mention are actually really well made games.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 09:54 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 02:11:
That's cool for the community, good going Treyarch.

Unfortunately I can't stand CoD multiplayer, but that's just me.

I'm the opposite, the multiplayer is the only redeeming feature of Call of Duty but it's usually fleeting. That said World at War was pretty good MP-wise so I'll give this a chance whenever its not $60.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

20. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 04:15 zirik

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 02:00:

haha. that mod is silly. first saw it on a counter strike server. if you stand around doing nothing the server starts to kick your player around the map with hit damage until your character dies. then you get temp ban from the server.

19. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 02:11 StingingVelvet

That's cool for the community, good going Treyarch.

Unfortunately I can't stand CoD multiplayer, but that's just me.

18. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 02:00 Dr. D. Schreber

Sepharo wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 00:13:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 00:08:
Assuming the dedicated servers go back to using Punkbuster, I can't imagine cheating being as big of a problem. I love Valve dearly, but VAC stops cheaters in MW2 about as well as my dead mother sings covers of White Zombie.

You know who stops hackers?
Admins and communities.

Fuck Infinity Ward

Won't deny that, I just have little care for communities; I just set my filter to exclude 100+ ping and then sort by player count. Punkbuster kicks more cheaters than admins do in my particular field of vision.

Honestly, the one reason I'm willing to tolerate MW2 despite the bullshit network issues inherent to the system it uses is that there's one mod I will never like, and it's also unfortunately pretty much the most popular, that being Additional Max Players. I know people bitch about Modern Warfare's small maps and player count, but it's not a conspiracy to derail the Tribes nostalgia, it's just the way the game was designed. I happen to enjoy it as much as an expansive map with 64 players barely filling it, depending on the mood I'm in; do we really need a hundred servers with 64 players on Shipment?

17. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 01:06 Rattlehead

Punkbuster? Aww, that means I can't play, that pos kicks me for no reason and even balance refuse to acknowledge the issue.  

16. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 00:13 Sepharo

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 20, 2010, 00:08:
Assuming the dedicated servers go back to using Punkbuster, I can't imagine cheating being as big of a problem. I love Valve dearly, but VAC stops cheaters in MW2 about as well as my dead mother sings covers of White Zombie.

You know who stops hackers?
Admins and communities.

Fuck Infinity Ward

15. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 20, 2010, 00:08 Dr. D. Schreber

14. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 21:47 xXBatmanXx

I would like to see an announcement on how they are goign to stop cheaters......CoD games are plauged with all sorts of problems that never get addressed. There are so many OTHER games that are coming out - this is a definite wait and see.

Honestly though, this is like releasing 2 Madden games a year.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 17:43 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 16:39:
I get the impression that activision is doing everything it can to reach out to gamers in hopes of keeping the brand as strong as possible. I dought they'd be doing any of this if infinity ward had stayed on board. Considering how well mw2 did I'm wondering why they are so generous by comparison.

Look at the longevity Valve got out of HL with modtools. Want to keep a franchise alive and kicking? Modtools.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 16:50 Prez

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 16:05:
They've already said it's going to have dedicated servers.

Someone call Hell and find out the temperature!

Anyway, good to know they are back to actually supporting standard PC features.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 16:45 Paketep

Good, good. Now, confirm mapping and LAN and I'll probably buy it despite the fact that the game is being published by the biggest douchebags in the industry.  

10. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 16:39 Tumbler

I get the impression that activision is doing everything it can to reach out to gamers in hopes of keeping the brand as strong as possible. I dought they'd be doing any of this if infinity ward had stayed on board. Considering how well mw2 did I'm wondering why they are so generous by comparison.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 16:36 eXFeLoN

I might just buy this. After Mod support has been released that is... I hope the technical "challenges" aren't too great that they decide, well fuck it, we're not going to be able to do it guys, sorry!  

8. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 16:05 Dr. D. Schreber

They've already said it's going to have dedicated servers.  

7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 15:58 Prez

Dedicated servers?

I know, I know, I ask for the world.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 15:29 Bumpy

kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 14:35:
Four years ago this would've been expected and not newsworthy.

Sad but true. My game purchases often depend on if I can adjust FOV. I'm not sitting 7 feet from my computer you know.

5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 14:42 bhcompy

DangerDog wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 14:27:
If they allow you to change your FOV setting, I might actually buy this game.

fov 120
r_picmip 5
cl_pushlatency 0

4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Mod Support Confirmed Aug 19, 2010, 14:35 Kxmode

Four years ago this would've been expected and not newsworthy.

Still, thank you Treyarch.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo