Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers

Edge Magazine has an update on the status of Realtime Worlds, as the APB developer is now in the hands of administrators. Joint administrator Paul Dounis offers a statement saying there are parties interested in buying the developer: "We are actively pursuing all these expressions of interest which have come from both the UK and US." He also clarifies that 53 of 210 employees remain at their Dundee offices and that the company's Colorado office have not been closed as was reported, and 14 employees remain there, down from 42. As for the future of APB, he says: "The game will continue and that is something we want all customers to be aware of."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 20, 2010, 06:13 zadokallen

"Beamer"Aug 19, 2010, 09:03
Fraud, or something to that effect. Some sort of con-op most definitely. It`s all too slick and fast...so what, you work on a game for few years and then it all folds in weeks? Mother&^#$*^s..

You guys act like this is uncommon in any industry

No, its not uncommon, in fact its too common these days. Alas, this is a website dedicated to videogames, and we`re discussing single case here, no? Do I have to provide extensive footnotes to every and each post?

RTW works on a product for a few years. They work until they run out of money. They're forced to release it arguably too soon because they've run out of money. They're forced to fold when it isn't an immediate hit
{...}
They literally bet the farm on this game. It did not pay off. They have no cash to continue.

It is one of the scenarios that might have or might not`ve happened. I don`t know. You speak as you know, but you don`t either.

Not sure ow this is either surprising or seen as a "con-op." Where do you think the money went, then? Do you think that David Jones pocketed a few million when no one was looking?

If you don`t find the whole thing of devs with cv`s that go back to 8-bit era (i.e. rather experienced in this biz) suddenly deciding to start betting farms surprising, than perhaps you`re far more jaded than I. Which I doubt. Again, maybe they were that stupid.

As for D. Jones, RTFPost:
he deserved to land some cool, safe project, like Spector at Disney
Not exactly charge of theft, eh?

Or do you think every huge business gamble that doesn't pay off is "a con job?"
Not every, but some percentage obviously is. You don`t? And lived under that rock last few years? Well, I wish I could live in such a carefree (fantasy) world. But then, I`m one of the "dolts" (as you chided in some other thread) who does think bailout money is free (in a way of course).

to explain exactly what crime took place and who profited from it

Could we skip these Ace Attorney theatrics? Mine was a speculation on a internet forum, not a documented charge for a court of law.

I do not know what went on, it`s equally possible it was a case of dev naivety or that some people did profit from it (in ways more sophisticated than some money transfers). My original post might not reflect that, for the reasons already stated before: this was one of my (not many) pet projects I followed from day one and I`ve seen some red upon learning its fate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 23:30 Beamer

Plus they didn't know they were going defunct (jesus, do you guys think every company knows their product will fail? seems like some of you think that's their goal - to fail, lose millions and lose their jobs just to screw you over.)

And support is continuing for APB regardless.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 20:56 NKD

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 17:48:
Selling copies of a product you know is going to be defunct is fraud. Consumers have a reasonable expectation under the law to not get screwed like that.

Actually there is no legal protection against this sort of thing. Yeah its a questionable thing to do, but not illegal. The monthly fee pays for access. If service is discontinued, as long as they stop charging monthly fees then they have not run afoul of the law.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 20:13 Ruffiana

Fraud, or something to that effect. Some sort of con-op most definitely. It`s all too slick and fast...so what, you work on a game for few years and then it all folds in weeks? Mother&^#$*^s..

You guys act like this is uncommon in any industry.

RTW works on a product for a few years. They work until they run out of money. They're forced to release it arguably too soon because they've run out of money. They're forced to fold when it isn't an immediate hit because they're so far in debt that they don't have any capital to pay their daily costs of operation, let alone the costs of supporting the product. They go into administration, or outright fold, immediately.

They literally bet the farm on this game. It did not pay off. They have no cash to continue.

The vast majority of game studios work like this. People think that every game developer is driving around in gold Ferraris after something ships, but the truth is many of them don't stay solvent long enough to get another project rolling.

9. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 17:48 Cutter

Selling copies of a product you know is going to be defunct is fraud. Consumers have a reasonable expectation under the law to not get screwed like that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 11:28 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Aug 19, 2010, 10:21:
What Beamer said.

Yeah. If this is some kind of con, they are doin' it wrong as the saying goes, because nobody appears to have profited from this, and even if they sell the game it won't make them near what they spent making it.

It's just another case of a game developer running out of money before they could ship a decent game, either due to lack of funding, or wasteful spending, or both.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 10:21 wtf_man

What Beamer said.

As for someone buy APB, I can't see that happening unless it was sold so cheap that minimal investment would guarantee a return.

6. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 09:03 Beamer

You guys act like this is uncommon in any industry.

RTW works on a product for a few years. They work until they run out of money. They're forced to release it arguably too soon because they've run out of money. They're forced to fold when it isn't an immediate hit because they're so far in debt that they don't have any capital to pay their daily costs of operation, let alone the costs of supporting the product. They go into administration, or outright fold, immediately.

Not sure ow this is either surprising or seen as a "con-op." Where do you think the money went, then? Do you think that David Jones pocketed a few million when no one was looking?
Or do you think every huge business gamble that doesn't pay off is "a con job?"

In either case I'd like those of you that think this is some kind of crime to explain exactly what crime took place and who profited from it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 05:47 zadokallen

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 21:45:
Smells like fraud to me.

Word.
Fraud, or something to that effect. Some sort of con-op most definitely. It`s all too slick and fast...so what, you work on a game for few years and then it all folds in weeks? Mother&^#$*^s...

this one really gets my blood boiling...if someone like David Jones can`t get things right, be it by his own fault or his overlords (which he shouldn`t have/listen to in 1st place) design, then this industry is truly rotten.

Such a shame thou, he deserved to land some cool, safe project, like Spector at Disney...

4. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 05:40 NKD

Maybe they can hire Derek Smart.  

3. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 19, 2010, 01:42 Tomas

If this game was free to play after purchase I would have bought it. Sure, they have the server costs...but that was their choice. When they had initially said it would be free to play I was all in. After they changed that plan...they lost me.  

2. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 18, 2010, 23:16 |oR|jonvall

I think it would be awesome if somebody with deep pockets bought this company and finished this awesome game up! Give it a new pay structure....perhaps like ummmm...FREE TO PLAY?  

1. Re: Realtime Worlds Courting Buyers Aug 18, 2010, 21:45 Cutter

Smells like fraud to me. Criminal investigation sure to follow.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo