Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced

THQ announces Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution, a standalone expansion for their sci-fi real-time strategy sequel they expect to release for Windows PCs in the first quarter of next year. Word is Retribution will allow you to choose between several races in the solo campaign, as they say: "Taking place years after the events in Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, this title allows players to choose their perspective with the first multiple-race single player campaign in the Dawn of War II series. The first race to be revealed is the savage Orks, but no matter which race is chosen players will be taken on an epic journey through each story arc, revealing the answers to many questions left open in previous Dawn of War titles." They also add: "As well as the single player campaign, Retribution will feature new multiplayer units, maps and an entire new playable faction when it ships." The news is accompanied by a gameplay trailer which is also embedded below.

View
21. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Aug 18, 2010, 02:45 Warskull

Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 15:22:
Slink wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 15:11:

I have to admit, at first I wasn't too pleased with the way they handled Dawn of War 2, but after playing it I got hooked and found it entirely engrossing, and all other RTS games seem old in comparison.

I don't understand though how you can like the gameplay in Company of Heroes but not Dawn of War 2. They're pretty similar.

If you mean the multiplayer, no one really has a problem with that. I can't speak for him but when I bitch about DoW2, its about the singleplayer. Dawn of War 2 isn't even a real RTS in singleplayer, it's like some bizarre mashup of a poor mans Diablo and some budget Hero RTS for 10 year olds. You control extremely limited numbers of troops at best. The only "strategy" is basically finding cover and item pickups. The expansion was an improvement and return to form in some respects but after the base games SP campaign should have been free.

Company of Heroes had some "squad" missions but for the most part missions would open up after an introductory and allow you to make/control enough units to form some measure of a strategy game.

They released the multiplayer in a horrifically broken state for DoW II with a show stopper bug that made units permanently eat population cap. Then they didn't bother patching it for a full 2 months. Relic has good core mechanics but tends to fail at balance and QA (I don't think they even bother testing before pushing stuff out the door.)

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 17, 14:45 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Coolone
  5. Aug 17, 15:08  Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Jow
  2. Aug 17, 14:49 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Dr. D. Schreber
  3. Aug 17, 14:57 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Rob
  8. Aug 17, 15:11  Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Slink
  9. Aug 17, 15:22   Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Verno
  10. Aug 17, 15:35    Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Frijoles
  11. Aug 17, 15:39     Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Wolfen
  20. Aug 18, 00:48      Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced StingingVelvet
>> 21. Aug 18, 02:45    Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Warskull
  4. Aug 17, 14:59 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Verno
  7. Aug 17, 15:11  Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Coolone
  17. Aug 17, 18:10  Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Flatline
  18. Aug 17, 20:29   Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Huzsar
  24. Aug 18, 10:22   Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Verno
  6. Aug 17, 15:10 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced KilrathiAce
  12. Aug 17, 16:08 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Surf
  14. Aug 17, 16:17  Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced grudgebearer
  15. Aug 17, 16:55   Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Tumbler
  16. Aug 17, 17:30    Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Overon
  19. Aug 18, 00:21   Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Dr. D. Schreber
  22. Aug 18, 07:14    Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced zadokallen
  13. Aug 17, 16:13 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced entr0py
  23. Aug 18, 08:06 Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Syd

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo