Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Age of Empires Online Announced

Microsoft announces Age of Empires Online, a PC-only persistent version of the popular Age of Empires real-time strategy series that will feature free online play through Games for Windows LIVE. The game is currently in closed beta and expected to launch next year, and the Age of Empires Online Website is live, offering beta signups, and featuring a teaser trailer showing off gameplay and the game's stylized graphics. Also, Computer and Video Games reports Microsoft telling them that AoE vets are on board for this. "I'd say about 75% of the team have worked on Age of Empires before," Microsoft Game Studios GM Dave Luehmann tells them. "So it's the core team that you can feel comfortable with and who are well skilled with Age [of Empires]." Here's a bit from the announcement:

“Age of Empires Online” will invite players to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the globe. Begin the journey with your own Greek civilisation, and watch as it progresses from a village to an empire. Embark on quests along the way, alone or with friends, and immerse yourself in epic tales, quirky characters, adventure, history and strategy. Together with the Games for Windows – LIVE service, “Age of Empires Online” delivers a rich, social experience that lets you play however you want — anywhere, anytime.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 21, 2010, 21:03 Ant

Thanks Verno and MxxCon.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 21, 2010, 20:53 Verno

Ant wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 11:06:
Do we have to run it all the time too even when not playing multiplayer games and not gaming?

No, it runs when the game runs and doesn't continue after you've closed.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

26. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 18, 2010, 11:09 MxxCon

game automatically runs it.
and this game is not really 'single player'. even though there are single player missions, you are always online communicating with other people and sending stats.

25. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 18, 2010, 11:06 Ant

MxxCon wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 11:03:
Ant wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 10:32:
Meh. why is this cartoonish?

Also, what's evil about GFW? Bloated? Slow? Buggy? DRM?
gfwl used to be problematic, but now its not much different from steam.
Do we have to run it all the time too even when not playing multiplayer games and not gaming?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 18, 2010, 11:03 MxxCon

Ant wrote on Aug 18, 2010, 10:32:

it's not any more cartoonish than warcraft3 was. it's not photo-realistic like crysis2 but it's not 'hello kitty' either.

gfwl used to be problematic, but now its not much different from steam.

23. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 18, 2010, 10:32 Ant

22. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 18, 2010, 07:52 Syd

GFWL = boycott  

21. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 20:34 MxxCon

However there is only one civilization to try in the beginning.
actually there are 2: Greeks and Egyptians.

20. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 19:14 StingingVelvet

javajeff wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 13:44:
I am not interested in MMO in my RTS. I will pass on Age of Cartoons. I was a big fan of AOE, but the graphics alone lost me. The rest of it just sounds bad. All I would need is an updated graphics engine for AOK. Innovation is way overrated in PC games.

Pretty much my feelings... if it has epic singleplayer I might consider it, but I bet it is founded on Farmville style online gameplay and cartoon graphics. Comparing this to AoE3 makes it look embarrassing, and that game is old as hell.

19. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 18:02 NewMaxx

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:23:
I don't think its an MMO. It sounds more like Age of Farmville to me. But all that aside, you should try the game before you pass judgement, all you haters.

Given the current state of gaming, it really makes more sense to present it this way. Plus, if it were anybody BUT Microsoft, it'd probably be on consoles (and hence, complaints about that). You just can't win.

18. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 16:35 Tom

mag wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 16:21:
bhcompy wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 13:12:
Freelancer was the last decent starfighting game in a genre that is in dire need of more attention

You shut your whore mouth. Freelancer didn't even support joysticks!

Hey, he did say decent. Try naming a decent space sim released after Freelancer.

17. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 16:21 mag

bhcompy wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 13:12:
The Advocate wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:17:
Ugh, let Digital Anvil stay in its grave.

Freelancer was fairly decent but Brute Force was total shit.

This is a PC game thread, Brute Force doesn't even exist in that world. Freelancer was the last decent starfighting game in a genre that is in dire need of more attention

You shut your whore mouth. Freelancer didn't even support joysticks!

16. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 16:16 Nere

GFWL? I can't wait to not play this.  

15. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 14:50 Beamer

Yup, this game is made by Robot, which means it's almost entirely the same people that made AoE.

Funny to call it Age of Farmville, though, considering the other half of Ensemble has thus far released one game: a FarmVille clone on the iPhone. I'm sure it has actual gameplay, unlike FarmVille, and iPhone apps are the easiest way for a new company to explore quick capital, but it's still a FarmVille clone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 14:21 noman

It seems to me that the core AoE experience is all there (single player, multi-player PvP/Co-Op) and that there are additional features to try if you want.

The online play is free. However there is only one civilization to try in the beginning.

Also the connection to GFWL is required all the time. There is no offline play. This last bit is probably the most contentious. They are basically going the Guild Wars route with persistent connection requirement but free online play, or Starcraft2/Battlenet in multi-player.

Anyway, it's good to see another game in the series, created by the ex-Ensemble folks.

13. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 13:44 javajeff

I am not interested in MMO in my RTS. I will pass on Age of Cartoons. I was a big fan of AOE, but the graphics alone lost me. The rest of it just sounds bad. All I would need is an updated graphics engine for AOK. Innovation is way overrated in PC games.  

12. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 13:32 Mastaba

I've been playing it for the past six weeks, and being a fan of the AoE series, this edition really does not disappoint. You want to focus on multiplayer games? It's got it. You want co-op games? It's in there. You want single player games, it's got it in spades. The only adjustment I had to make was getting used to the stylized graphics. That took me only a week or so. Now I find the graphics and animation to be quite charming and the little details humorous at times. But in the midst of fervant battle, I really don't notice the graphics as much as the gameplay, and the gameplay is solid. Give the beta a whirl before you pass judgement, you may be surprised.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2010, 13:42.

11. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 13:12 bhcompy

The Advocate wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:17:
Ugh, let Digital Anvil stay in its grave.

Freelancer was fairly decent but Brute Force was total shit.

This is a PC game thread, Brute Force doesn't even exist in that world. Freelancer was the last decent starfighting game in a genre that is in dire need of more attention

10. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 13:11 MxxCon

actually from 1st hand experience i can say that this game will be good.
they didn't fuck up rts aspect of the game, which is the most important part.
it's rts+mmo. not mmo made into rts.

9. Re: Age of Empires Online Announced Aug 17, 2010, 12:56 Wallshadows

The Standard Edition will include a sharp, bent stick so you can get the real Microsoft experience while enjoying GFWL.

The Collector's Edition will include lube made out of sand paper.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo