Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BFG RMA Refusal

It sounds like BFG Technologies is in the process of going out of business, as Hardware Canucks has a copy of a letter denying a customer RMA support saying BFG "is winding down and liquidating its business," explaining that since the company had lost the support of its major supplier, "we are returning your graphics card without being able to repair it." BFG announced it was departing the graphics card business in May followed by word last month it was also leaving the PSU business.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 19, 2010, 10:37 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 16:59:
kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 16:45:
Both of you are trolling since neither of these discussions have anything to do with the topic, which is about "BFG RMA Refusal."

The guy posting Tommy Boy quotes in thread probably shouldn't be playing backseat moderator Deal Please let us know what we are allowed to discuss ahead of time Invigilator.

Hey now. It was relative... umm... sort of... well. Hey! Look over there! Is that the Goodyear Blimp?! Outtahere

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 17, 2010, 07:45 zirik

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 21:45:
I gotta agree with the people who are staying on-topic here: EVGA is your new manufacturer to watch for.

i am a very satisfied customer of EVGA especially their upgrade program. have used it twice in a row already with no problem whatsoever. and thankfully i have never had a defective product from EVGA. they even helped me get the proper cable for my graphics card when i told them that one of the 6 pin molex was broken on my PSU. they sent me an adapter for free!

i hope EVGA picks up BFG employees. theyre located in the same industrial park in the city of industry, ca.

57. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 17, 2010, 00:54 BobBob

Jerykk wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 00:14:
Does posting comments on a gaming forum quality as a productive and meaningful use of time and potential..? I mean, really, you should be out finding a cure for cancer or ending hunger in third-world countries.

Over population is one of the primary problems the world is encountering. Anyhow, let's get back on topic.

/end-off-topic-ness

56. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 17, 2010, 00:29 BobBob

Unless you plan on over-clocking (unnecessary with the speed of today's GPUs), nearly all brands of video cards are the same in performance.  

55. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 17, 2010, 00:14 Jerykk

That would be a sad waste of time and potential.

Does posting comments on a gaming forum quality as a productive and meaningful use of time and potential..? I mean, really, you should be out finding a cure for cancer or ending hunger in third-world countries.

54. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 21:49 glandry

Last year, I bought a fantastic BFG motherboard, which had a component failure in the SATA controller. They could not replace it, and sent me a lesser-spec motherboard as a replacement. Then, they told me they were getting out of the motherboard business, and sent me a refund. A shame, because there were no other motherboards at the time with as full a feature set (at ANY price). Looks like the rest of the business is going the same way. I suggest you try the Better Business Bureau in BFG's home location. If it does file for bankruptcy, individual consumers may see nothing after the corporate creditors get paid some of their claims.  

53. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 21:45 HoSpanky

I gotta agree with the people who are staying on-topic here: EVGA is your new manufacturer to watch for.

Back when the 7800s were launched, and had this new-fangled "DDR3", I bought an EVGA 7800. So did a co-worker.
A year or so later, our 7800s finally crapped (the DDR3 they were using was VERY new, and incredibly unreliable). We both RMA'd our cards, which they had quit making. They sent him an 8600 (woowoo he got dx10 support) and I got an overclocked 7950...the fastest 7000 series card they ever made.

Needless to say, I haven't bought another brand since. I just pray they don't go under too, that'd be a damn shame.

52. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 21:38 KilrathiAce

I just hope it wasnt high number of 8800gt's failures and rma's that ruined some of their profits! lol  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

51. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 20:08 Burrito of Peace

I love being a fat, jobless, virgin, broke-ass loser who lives in my parent's basement.

It means that, unlike dear old BobBob here, I won't be dying from hostile natives, food poisoning, diphtheria or statistical mortality from traveling via air transit. What good is all that experience and social education when you're dying of an intestinal bacteria infection in a dirt hut in Tunisia?

On to BFG...I can't say I was ever really a fan. I've always used EVGA for third party cards when I didn't have cards directly from Nvidia in my systems to use.

50. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:49 ForgedReality

Holy shit! This is fucking horrible news! BFG was one of the (if not THE) best in the business, when it came to not only excellent customer support, but quality of product. I've owned at least two BFG cards in my time.

Wow. Terrible, terrible news. You will be missed, BFG.

49. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:41 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 16:31:
Everyone should ideally have 3-6 months in monthly expenses saved in case of prolonged unemployment, divorce or etc. People simply don't know how to budget.

Yup. I had six, but that was prior to a huge pay jump, so now it's more like 3. I'm still good, especially as my monthly expenses are pretty low, but yeah, at a minimum you should have 3-6. And if you plan to retire some day...

It's why my car sucks. Honestly, as much as I love cars I can't justify getting a new one until this one is run into the ground (in fairness I may upgrade it to a same-year lower-mileage BMW M3 in the spring, but that'll be a modest cost.) I'm paying twice as much in student loans as I am in rent, so that's holding several bigger purchases back, including a better car. I could lease two AMG C63s fully loaded for less than the cost of my loans.
Oh, if only...

http://www.jogyjogy.com/watch.php?id=198f9

48. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:41 wtf_man

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 16:20:
Then again, last time I looked the majority of people who read blues are married, with families, and make +70K/yr.

And don't forget... we're all pirates because most of us oppose DRM.
At +70k/yr we can't afford the games we want, and since we are married and have families, we aren't responsible nor ethical enough to purchase games... we'd rather steal them.

I just thought I'd change the direction of the off-topic!

47. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:38 StingingVelvet

Ever since I went nVidia about 7 years ago I have been using EVGA... I feel sorry for BFG though, I hope everyone there find a new place to work.  

46. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:33 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 17:27:
Fucking BFG.
Personally I'd say save yourself the trouble and file straight in small claims now before they finish liquidating.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

45. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:27 PHJF

So I of course had to RMA my 8800GTX a couple months ago or so.

They got around to sending me an OEM 8800GTX which I assume was new (it had a different serial number [sticker] on it). Shortly after plugging it in the exact same shit happened. Screen is corrupted straight from POST, windows gives me a Code 43 error, and there is massive artifacting of the type you get when your VRAM is bad. Fucking BFG.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 17:21 Darks

wtf_man wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 13:23:
Ruffiana wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 13:13:
Boy I tell you, if I was some competing hardware brand I would really be capatilizing on this turn of events.

"Send us your broken BFG hardware and we'll give you 25% off one of our products!"

Either that or I'd be awfully impressed to see nVidia state that they'd honor the warranties... even if it was for a limited time, like 1 year after BFG announced they were getting out of the graphics card business, or better yet 1 year after the denial letters started going out.

That would go a long way into repairing their BS re-branding of the same fricken cards / chips for the last few years.

This actually happened years ago when 3DFX went out of business, Nvidia offered you a nice discount on buying one of their current cards at the time if you sent in your older 3DFX card. It seemed to work from what I recall. This would be a good opportunity if a card vendor did offer to trade your old card in for one of ours and get a nice discount.
Good business practice if you ask me for 2 reasons. One, you’re out of a card and need a new one. Two, why not get a nice discount if you do get that kind of offer to help offset the expense of that new card you need anyway and you will get a nice warranty with the new card, not to mention an upgrade too.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

43. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 16:59 Verno

kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 16:45:
Both of you are trolling since neither of these discussions have anything to do with the topic, which is about "BFG RMA Refusal."

The guy posting Tommy Boy quotes in thread probably shouldn't be playing backseat moderator Deal Please let us know what we are allowed to discuss ahead of time Invigilator.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

42. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 16:52 Beamer

Blues often gets most interesting as it moves off topic.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 16:45 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 16:20:
BobBob wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 15:31:
I'm just shocked anyone would pay more than $300 to $500 on a TV. I prefer to put excess money into savings, investing, and travel around the world. Just sitting around and staring at a TV is not physically healthy, mentally stimulating, nor socially educational.

Get outside, travel, experience the world (different cultures, architecture, geography, climate, etc.), and exercise.

Not trolling.

How is that not trolling? You just inferred (again) that people who buy a modest television don't exercise, travel or experience life. You're really out of touch with people for someone who claims to travel a lot. You can put some of the more expensive items you buy on your credit card, get airmiles, pay off the card and travel some more!

Credit card debt is certainly avoidable. You will most likely have to get a loan for a house and car loans can actually make sense (particularly the 0% interest for the life of the loan on certain new cars), but if you keep a reasonable amount saved away you can avoid credit card debt even if some unexpected expenses emerge. Credit card debt adds up very fast an eats up a lot of your money with the interest.

I remember reading that a huge amount of north americans have only a month of expenses in savings which is really sad. Everyone should ideally have 3-6 months in monthly expenses saved in case of prolonged unemployment, divorce or etc. People simply don't know how to budget.

40. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 16:43 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 15:31:
I'm just shocked

He's shocked people. Shocked!

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo