Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

World of Warcraft Strategies - "World of Starcraft" A remote possibility, or reality?
This stunning engine can be applied to future titles. Considering that Blizzard is in the process of making their new MMO, I would be willing to wager that this MMO is based in the Starcraft universe, despite previous announcements by Blizzard that the title was outside all of their current universes.

Hellmode - My Darker Competitive Side. Thanks Ant.
But from that point on, even after I shelved my top progression character, I couldn’t play the game like a normal person. Each top ranked kill had altered the game to an unplayable degree and there had been so many of them. I couldn’t wipe in a normal dungeon after being the first in the world to not only see Sapphiron, but to kill the encounter at level 60–it was too much of a regression. It was the difference between night and day. As I would discover, there was no going back to a casual player after being so hardcore.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 22:15 ColoradoHoudini

kxmode: I said since day 1 on hearing the news of a new ip that Blizzard would go the MMOFPS route. Now the setting I am unsure of, but I can totally see it. There isn't one out there right now, it's a barren market, and they could easily grab it and hold it indefinitely.

If not that...then, a Cyberpunk'ish theme..which also doesnt exist.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 20:25 The Half Elf

Hell I've been saying for years, take Planetside fps type game, with Starcraft you'd get the perfect World of Starcraft.

Hell I said it back in 2007
Back in 2007
Part 2

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2010, 20:30.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

22. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 19:16 Sepharo

space captain wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 18:09:
As I would discover, there was no going back to a casual player after being so hardcore

preach it, brother

that's a sister

21. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 19:13 slaka

You would be surprised at how much sway the lead devs have too. It's been plain for awhile that the 'star' devs and designers haven't been working on WoW for years. They would be as keen as any gamer out there to work on new IP, new concepts, a new game type.

An experienced company like Blizzard knows a big part of their success is keeping the great employees around.

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 18:09 space captain

As I would discover, there was no going back to a casual player after being so hardcore

preach it, brother

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 17:39 Cutter

As much as their existing IPs are super-keen and all, it'd be nice to see them do something new for once. So I don't think they're lying when they say it's an entirely new IP. Whatever it is it's bound to make an assload of money.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 17:29 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 14:35:
I'd love to see a World of Starcraft with that engine that is a 3rd person shooter ala world of warcraft.

Me too. Teamed up with a small group of people, ducked under cover like in Gears of War, and fighting off a wave of zerglings pouring down on you would be great.

17. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 17:21 fujiJuice

I'm not very versed in game engine programming, but I can't imagine an RTS engine is in any way similar to an MMO engine. I don't see why they wouldn't just take the WOW engine, upgrade and optimize the shit out of it, and then just throw in a ton of new assets.  

16. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 14:35 Tumbler

The best part about SC2 in my opinion is the in game cut scenes. When I used the free trial I realized that was all an in game engine, so 3D rooms, levels, etc have been contructed. I'd love to see them make a game in that engine or in that style. It seems odd that they created such gorgeous levels in those scenes and then threw them into SC2...

I'd love to see a World of Starcraft with that engine that is a 3rd person shooter ala world of warcraft.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 13:42 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 13:06:
I love that. "Blizzard has already announced their their new MMO is a brand new IP, but I'd be willing to wager that it is World of Starcraft"

What a world class idiot.

Well the author didn't exactly write that but your point is spot on.

As a side note, that op-ed is also chock full of stuff like "Researchers say that it is a feeling of immersion and "change"." The author doesn't reference a source! My college professor would've given this entire article a D+.

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 13:39 RenownWolf

I believe he is paraphrasing the article kxmode.  

http://www.renownwolf.com

13. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 13:37 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 13:06:
I love that. "Blizzard has already announced their their new MMO is a brand new IP, but I'd be willing to wager that it is World of Starcraft"

Where did you see that quote? I couldn't find it in either articles.

12. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 13:30 Verno

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 13:10:

Warcraft III always struck me as a "Holy cow, this 3D stuff is hard." type of experience.

It wasn't a bad game by any means but it felt totally disconnected from Warcraft 2's style of gameplay. But yeah the in-game cutscenes especially look so strange and awkward.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

11. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 13:10 Ruffiana

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 12:48:
Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 11:47:
World of Warcraft Strategies - "World of Starcraft" A remote possibility, or reality?

God I hope not. We'll probably never get another proper Warcraft game because of that abhorrent fashion show grind-fest WoW as it is. I'd hate to lose Starcraft too.

I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to Warcraft II. Warcraft 3 was just a bizarre experience.

Warcraft III always struck me as a "Holy cow, this 3D stuff is hard." type of experience.

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 13:06 NKD

Don't try and make any money gambling, buddy. You'll lose your house, and probably your soul.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 12:48 Verno

God I hope not. We'll probably never get another proper Warcraft game because of that abhorrent fashion show grind-fest WoW as it is. I'd hate to lose Starcraft too.

I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to Warcraft II. Warcraft 3 was just a bizarre experience.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 12:37 Kajetan

Frijoles wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 12:27:
Perhaps an MMORTS. That'd be kinda cool if they pulled it off right. Persistent RTS world.
Nonono! A MMO-BeatEmUp! 300.000 players in one single giant fight arena, Matrix-style!

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 12:27 Frijoles

Perhaps an MMORTS. That'd be kinda cool if they pulled it off right. Persistent RTS world.  

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 12:01 nin

They won't. They already said on numerous occasions that their new MMO is a new IP, and isn't based on any existing IPs. Meaning no World of Warcraft 2, no World of Starcraft, no World of Diablo.

<covers ears>
LA LA LA LA - NOT LISTENING!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2010, 11:58 Kxmode

They won't. They already said on numerous occasions that their new MMO is a new IP, and isn't based on any existing IPs. Meaning no World of Warcraft 2, no World of Starcraft, no World of Diablo. My sphere of influence tells me it's going to be a MMOFPS because no one has done one well yet, or pulled the kind of subscriber numbers Blizzard can.

You just wait: Brand new IP. MMOFPS.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo