Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Elemental: War of Magic

Stardock announces that development of Elemental: War of Magic is complete, and the now-gold strategy game is expected in stores on August 24. They also announce that Brad Wardell's Elemental novel will come out at that time as well, offering a story based on the game, and additional content: "In addition to the PC title hitting stores on August 24, the novel ELEMENTAL: DESTINY’S EMBERS, written by Elemental: War of Magic Executive Producer Brad Wardell, will also be available at bookstores nationwide from Random House’s Del Rey publishing division. Customers who purchase a copy of the book ELEMENTAL: DESTINY’S EMBERS will be able to download the additional, exclusive video game campaign, Elemental: Destiny’s Embers. The campaign will release in four stages, with the first component being released in September." Here's a batch of Elemental: War of Magic screenshots, and here's a bit from the gold announcement:

Elemental: War of Magic opens a world of magic and ancient lore as players begin the game as one of the few beings in the world still able to channel power from shards of magic – a series of mystical artifacts left over from a great cataclysm. You must decide how much of your power to imbue into your heroes as you build cities, explore dungeons, learn spells of ever-increasing power and negotiate with friends and foes.

The game also includes integrated modding tools that allow players to create their own fantasy maps, monsters, tiles, effects and much more. The game’s story-driven campaign, written by Random House’s writing team, was made exclusively with the built-in modding tools.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 15, 2010, 21:43 eRe4s3r

And worse it doesn't offer a "Custom/Random start" where all values for all nations are randomized. Or a start where all nations start with an "equal opportunity province" and all other provinces are neutral and random (sorta like Dominions)

But the worst is imo that none of these games offer a "random/balanced earth" ;p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 15, 2010, 01:06 D4rkKnight

That's why I didn't like Europa or Victoria, it's too controlled by history. My nation never feels unique because the game dictates what everyone can and can't have at a certain time period.  

25. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 14:31 eRe4s3r

Well it doesn't even need to be fantasy - i'd be happy with an ALTERNATE world - not the geography or nations of the one we are living on. Just different continents and nations/people/races/cultures.

That would at least make the gameplay interesting and most importantly, allow for a "balanced" game world and gameplay. In Victoria 2 playing any non-primary nation basically means you can't even participate on the same level of gameplay. Unlike in Empires or Civ where every nation can potentially grow to a super power.

24. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 14:26 zadokallen

Turn-based strategy is a genre, where my priority is gameplay and gameplay alone. I play older Civ games, i play old PSX/SNES/GBA or newer DS games like Front Mission/Advance Wars/Fire Emblem and i do not care, how "ugly" or "primitive" these games look. Its all about gameplay!

Impressive stuff...didn`t expect such a voice of reason on these Hi-Q- obsessed pages.
I`m a graphics whore too, but have seen the light after going broke recently. Arx Fatalis being about the most advanced game I can run at the moment, I overcame this obsessive mindset and started really enjoy old games again, without the "nostalgia" angle.

In fact old really is beautiful...in its specific way. Guess growing up with these games helps thou.

Also, loved the tactical holy trio you mention. So, console games are dumb, eh?

Anyway, back to mapping Ultima I

23. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 13:22 Wolfen

YAY! I been waiting for this one. The building stuff looks cool. =D  

22. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 13:21 Kajetan

Lord Tea wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 12:56:
D4rkKnight wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 21:32:
This game looks pretty bad actually...
I disagree.
I agree. It does look cheap. Very homebrew. Crude. Sometimes even a little bit ugly. But i don't care

Turn-based strategy is a genre, where my priority is gameplay and gameplay alone. I play older Civ games, i play old PSX/SNES/GBA or newer DS games like Front Mission/Advance Wars/Fire Emblem and i do not care, how "ugly" or "primitive" these games look. Its all about gameplay!

21. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 13:15 JaguarUSF

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 11:01:
Speaking of Victoria 2 - i'll never understand why they make these historical games again and again, have they no creativity to make a unique new fresh fantasy world?

They have their audience that demands it, I suppose. They tried to branch out by publishing Lead and Gold and Ship Simulator and some turn-based fantasy games, but the ones they develop are always historical. And that's all I got to say about that...I'll hijack a thread about Patrician IV for Victoria II but not a thread about Elemental

20. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 12:56 Lord Tea

D4rkKnight wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 21:32:
This game looks pretty bad actually...

I disagree. It looks pretty darn good IMO. And I would buy it even if it didn't, because of a couple of reasons:

1) despite all the console garbage that's constantly being pumped out in the year of 2010, Stardock's top priority platform is the PC.
2) Stardock's DRM is either non-existent or mild enough not to annoy the customer.
3) They have a lot of experience with turn-based titles, so even if their game didn't look nice there's still a great chance it would play nice.

UPSA = United Police States of America

19. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 12:47 zadokallen

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 11:01:
I am awaiting eagerly for your review ;p For Victoria 2 you had a pretty good feeling of the game ..

Speaking of Victoria 2 - i'll never understand why they make these historical games again and again, have they no creativity to make a unique new fresh fantasy world?

Have they no creativity to make a unique new fresh fantasy world?
(Sorry...had sudden vision of some elves wielding - guess what! - bows!)

18. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 11:44 Nate

Played all of the betas. The screenshots are showing something more polished than we got to play. The AI is also getting a lot of work. We never got to try the multiplayer either.

I think it will be a smashing success. The last beta hinted at greatness. Doing simultaneous turns with 16 players on a huge map is fun just thinking about it.

17. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 11:01 eRe4s3r

I am awaiting eagerly for your review ;p For Victoria 2 you had a pretty good feeling of the game ..

16. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 09:30 JaguarUSF

RPG character customization and advancement, city management, quests, unit design, tactical battles, magic, research, diplomacy, multiplayer, and lots of editors. I'm looking very much forward to it (been in the beta).

We'll see what the final product is like; press gotta wait until the day 0 patch is ready late next week at the earliest, which really messed with my schedule, as I was expecting to play it as soon as it went gold (which is usually the case).

15. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 06:20 Theo

will wait for community feedback, jumped on the demigod bandwagon cause of site reviews only to find the game was not working from a multi player point of view at all. lost all confidence in stardock and felt ripped off, sworre id never buy another sd product...

this does look really good tho, so i am tempted . ;-)

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

14. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 06:11 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 04:35:
I don't think there's going to be a lot of overlap between people playing Mafia 2

Meh... people can be eclectic in their tastes, I don't think it's that rare to like strategy games and action games both.

13. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 05:49 NKD

I've been playing the beta. Frakkin fantastic as strategy games go, though I'm not a huge fan of the genre.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 05:13 Golwar

I'll check the demo, wait for reviews from trusted sources and decide then. Never really liked the graphics of Elemental, but if the gameplay is great I might even pick it earlier than Civ5.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2010, 07:08.

11. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 04:35 Jerykk

I don't think there's going to be a lot of overlap between people playing Mafia 2 and people playing Elemental. On the other hand, releasing it so close to Civ5 was a questionable decision.  

10. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 04:19 StingingVelvet

Releasing this on the same day as Mafia 2 and a few weeks before Civ5 is a bad idea... I have a pre-order in, but will likely cancel it for money and time reasons.  

9. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 14, 2010, 00:25 Esoteric

I've been looking forward to this game. I haven't played a good, fun TBS since HoMM III. Hopefully this will fill the void. I've been following the dev posts, and they've all been well thought out and interesting, asking feedback from the community and actually listening.

Stardock is one of the few pro-PC companies left.

8. Re: Gold - Elemental: War of Magic Aug 13, 2010, 23:45 eRe4s3r

But why is it using a grid based map? Did they learn nothing from a decade of CIV ?

And $50 is a bit on the expensive side too...

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo