Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced

GSC Game World announces development S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, saying the sequel to the irradiated first-person shooter is due next year as a multi-platform release (thanks joao). Here's word:

GSC Game World announces S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - the official sequel to best-selling game series - in development now. A completely new multi-platform technology developed by GSC will make the core of the game.

"After the official sales of the series exceeded 4 million copies worldwide, we had no doubts left to start creating a new big game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. This will be the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us" - said Sergiy Grygorovych, CEO of GSC Game World.

The game is scheduled for release in 2012.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Sep 3, 2010, 12:26 Pankin

Bumpy wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 10:46:
Only good thing I can think of with this announcement is that Stalker series had TONS of well made mods and tweaks.

Like Fallout3 and Oblivion, I'm betting Stalker2 will have plenty of smart modders FIXING the game to proper PC abilities and adjustments.

This is a good point. The mod community for Stalker has never been shy about disagreeing with developers' choices. All 3 existing iterations of Stalker each have multiple mods that address the UI specifically. I see no reason to think Stalker 2 will be absent from the mod party.

Unless, of course, Stalker 2 isn't mod friendly. <dramatic music>

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 17, 2010, 00:18 siapnar

Know what, I agree with you; making the next STALKER a multiplatform game IS'NT the most savory idea, compared to how it could be if it were strictly made for PC to push the limits of new machines and scale down for older ones.
But, in this day in age where practically every game is multiplatform, you have to prepare yourself for gameplay and graphical tradeoffs.

The only thing you can do is hope that the developer (and publisher) give us PC gamers what was once taken for granted when it comes to a game that caters to us.
And as I said, GSC Game World has a pretty good shot at giving us what we want, even in this multiplatform development era of games.
So, I have faith that even if STALKER 2 is dumbed down, it will still be a very good game in all aspects.

I have projectile dysfunction.

40. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 16, 2010, 12:44 Verno

AA and resolution aren't even an issue, because they can both be easily changed on PC. We're talking irreversible changes that multiplatform development will bring.

No again I disagree. Just by virtue of making the game for platforms with inferior specs you are already limiting the scope of asset development and production itself. Do you think Battlefield 3's maps will be anywhere near as large as they could have been without the multiplatform announcement for example? Without a forked PC version, I have no faith in the outcome.

Again, you mention the draw distance. STALKER's draw distance was nothing to write home about

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Stalker 1 as if I meant that game literally in the year 2010. I am saying a game like Stalker 2 made in this modern time will suffer from multiplatform development.

Yes, there will be less buttons on console, but functions can always be added on PC. It takes hardly any time, it's just a matter of the studio caring whether to implement them or not.

That's just pointing out the obvious, the point is that some of us aren't convinced that will happen. Multiplatform development is practically a codeword for mediocre PC version these days. I can think of less than 10 good PC versions and no I am not talking about a port that is simply acceptable.

GSC seem to be pretty loyal to their PC following, so I have faith in them... more so than practically any other studio. If they don't respect and support the PC community, who will?

I thought so too until this announcement.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

39. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 16, 2010, 11:41 siapnar

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 11:20:
Such as? We've discussed most of the open world, sandbox games already and found them lacking either in AA, resolution or draw distance. Again, what console consumers find acceptable is entirely different from what PC consumers deem acceptable. I'm sure they can build an acceptable experience for console users but I'm not convinced they can do it without harming the PC version significantly.

AA and resolution aren't even an issue, because they can both be easily changed on PC. We're talking irreversible changes that multiplatform development will bring.
Again, you mention the draw distance. STALKER's draw distance was nothing to write home about, being blown away by games like RDR and Just Cause 2. Those two games don't even have zone-loading to lean on, either.
And all engines rely on LOD'ing tricks, they have to, or all other optimization would be practically pointless.

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 11:20:
Hopefully? Dude come on. Stalker had so many binds that there is no possible way you would get them onto a gamepad without extreme streamlining. I'd like to be optimistic about this but the very nature of the announcement makes that difficult.

Yes, there will be less buttons on console, but functions can always be added on PC. It takes hardly any time, it's just a matter of the studio caring whether to implement them or not.
The base UI can be kept pretty complex, I'm thinking. Navigating the one in STALKER with a gamepad wouldn't be all that hard, IMO.

Graphically and feature-wise, I think STALKER 2 can be just as impressive, if the devs, and more importantly, Publisher, decide to make the effort.

GSC seem to be pretty loyal to their PC following, so I have faith in them... more so than practically any other studio. If they don't respect and support the PC community, who will?

38. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 16, 2010, 11:20 Verno

FiLTHY_SNiPER wrote on Aug 16, 2010, 11:02:
I think a game like STALKER is entirely possible on console, meaning the same level of graphics and complexity.
As I said, I don't see why it's not a possibility, what with the level of complexity already seen with this year and last year's console titles.

Such as? We've discussed most of the open world, sandbox games already and found them lacking either in AA, resolution or draw distance. Again, what console consumers find acceptable is entirely different from what PC consumers deem acceptable. I'm sure they can build an acceptable experience for console users but I'm not convinced they can do it without harming the PC version significantly.

The only thing I could foresee them having difficulty with is UI navigation, so hopefully they don't dumb it down all that much.

Hopefully? Dude come on. Stalker had so many binds that there is no possible way you would get them onto a gamepad without extreme streamlining. I'd like to be optimistic about this but the very nature of the announcement makes that difficult.

37. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 16, 2010, 11:02 siapnar

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 17:23:
There's a difference between possible and being playable and looking good enough for consumers. I should revise my wording, sure its "possible" to run at very low detail and resolutions but that's not really what we're talking about here.
Verno, I am damn sure you have the ability to read between the lines and see that my comment was not pertaining to a mediocre STALKER experience.
I think a game like STALKER is entirely possible on console, meaning the same level of graphics and complexity.
As I said, I don't see why it's not a possibility, what with the level of complexity already seen with this year and last year's console titles.
The only thing I could foresee them having difficulty with is UI navigation, so hopefully they don't dumb it down all that much.

STALKER, after all, is a hardcore experience, and I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.
If not, and they sell out to the masses, then all is indeed lost, and we can all be pessimistic losers together.

36. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 14, 2010, 22:38 bhcompy

sauron wrote on Aug 14, 2010, 21:07:
I picked up an unopened copy of Stalker from my local charity store for like 5 bucks (also got my copy of NWN2 there).

I've been busy with work and the kids, and until recently my gaming time was taken up by FFXI, and I'm now playing The Witcher. Once I get done with that, is Stalker worth a go? It looks pretty good but I also have to finish Oblivion and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, and also recently got given a copy of Dragon Age.

Thanks for any advice.

Stalker is good, but you have to accept the clunkiness of the game itself first. It's good because of what it provides eventhough the implementation isn't the best. It's kind of like BF1942 that way

35. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 14, 2010, 21:07 sauron

I picked up an unopened copy of Stalker from my local charity store for like 5 bucks (also got my copy of NWN2 there).

I've been busy with work and the kids, and until recently my gaming time was taken up by FFXI, and I'm now playing The Witcher. Once I get done with that, is Stalker worth a go? It looks pretty good but I also have to finish Oblivion and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, and also recently got given a copy of Dragon Age.

Thanks for any advice.

Kittens!

34. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 14, 2010, 16:26 Lit_Reflex001

I hope they have a better engine than the one from Clear Sky. That thing was garbage.  

33. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 14, 2010, 12:51 Surf

They could make it for both platforms but not a simultaneous release. Have the PC come later but add a ton more features/options/optimizations etc. We don't need another Metro 2033 (Great game but very linear)

Still good to hear Stalker 2 and Metro 2034. I love these post apocalyptic game idea's and we need more of them!

32. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 14, 2010, 10:46 Bumpy

Only good thing I can think of with this announcement is that Stalker series had TONS of well made mods and tweaks.

Like Fallout3 and Oblivion, I'm betting Stalker2 will have plenty of smart modders FIXING the game to proper PC abilities and adjustments.

31. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 14, 2010, 01:28 Jerykk

Please don't dumb it down for the consoles.

Oh, it'll be dumbed down alright. STALKER's interface doesn't work with a gamepad. Therefore, they will redesign STALKER 2's interface for gamepads and add some half-assed mouse and keyboard support. Oh, there'll be regenerating health too. And no more leaning.

30. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 21:51 Dreagon

<prayer>
</prayer>

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

29. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 19:32 Sty

The game is scheduled for release on December, 21 2012.

Fixed.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

28. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 19:29 ASeven

This reminds me, when people say that when a FPS sells more than a million units on the PC people will notice, won't they notice this?  

27. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 19:06 xXBatmanXx

very cool...

MUST FINISH FIRST ONE! hahahahah

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 19:02 Kosumo

I brought 3 copies of this game when it was a dollar or two on a steam sale way back, To make out that all 4 million copies of the series sold at full price might be taking it a bit far, they sold 4 million copies which is good, but at time it's been heavly discounted.

Good game, I enjoyed it.

Don't think there would be any problem at all running a Stalker game on a console, some people here just think they need to make out if anything is touched by a console it is dumbed down.

FFS Stalker had loading zones in it for fuck sake, it's in no way anything diffent that a lot of title on console excpted that the game design was what some would call more 'hardcore' with more dying than some would like.

25. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 18:20 bhcompy

CommunistHamster wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 17:55:
AWESOME

I don't think GSC are the type to ruin a game for consoles. They put all their love into STALKER.

Depends on if they develop for the PC and port to console or develop for console and port to PC

24. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 17:55 CommunistHamster

AWESOME

I don't think GSC are the type to ruin a game for consoles. They put all their love into STALKER.

23. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced Aug 13, 2010, 17:37 Verno

I'm sure there are console consumers who don't care but that's not the really the point. They need to fork the PC version to prevent the console limitations from affecting the PC version and they've basically announced that they're not doing that. It's kind of a shitty press release all things considered. Thanks for making us successful, now enjoy your upcoming port  

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo