Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Update "Next Month"

There's a Robin Walker interview on PC Gamer talking with the Valve designer about the future of Team Fortress 2, Valve's teamplay first-person shooter sequel. Robin informs them a new update is coming, and "likely" due in about a month (Valve Time) that will imbue the game with item trading, a brand new game mode, and approximately twenty new weapons and hats. Item trading is pretty self-explanatory, and he explains the new items are from the recent Polycount contest and will include items not in the winning pack. As for the new game mode, they are pretty tight-lipped for now. "We’ll probably start talking about that stuff soon once we’ve figured out how to talk about it," he tells them. "We’re going to ship a new game mode, and then we have a couple of other exciting features that we’ve been working on for a while that should be really really fun."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 13, 2010, 00:34 Jerykk

If they want money from me they might start by trying to sell to me, all they want to sell to is a retailer.

If that's the case, would you be willing to buy games directly from developers at full price? All your money would go directly to the content creator, no middle-men involved.

If retailers want my money they need to compete with the consumers who own the game.

I'm not sure how they would compete with $1 used copies unless they sold $0.99 new copies, which isn't very feasible given the development costs of games these days.

There is plenty of money going around and I'd rather pay a guy who owns a copy of the game rather than a store who owns a copy of the game.

The developers are far more likely to benefit when you buy a new copy from the store rather than a used copy from some random dude on the internet. Retailers order copies from the publisher and the publisher tracks how many copies they ship out. The more new copies you buy from the retailer, the more likely they are to order more copies from the publisher and the more likely the developers are to make a profit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 19:22 Sepharo

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 17:30:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 10:24:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 23:17:
But seriously, mostly the new weapons have just been skin jobs that really don't change the balance at all. It's just to add some variety to the visuals.

Huh? All the new weapons have different stats/abilities and are useful for different things. If you think they're just skin jobs you're not using them right.
Probably because I don't use them.

Thanks for weighing in then. We can always use more misinformation.

24. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 17:30 ForgedReality

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 10:24:
But seriously, mostly the new weapons have just been skin jobs that really don't change the balance at all. It's just to add some variety to the visuals.

Huh? All the new weapons have different stats/abilities and are useful for different things. If you think they're just skin jobs you're not using them right.
Probably because I don't use them.

23. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 14:39 Tumbler

That's stretching it a bit. You pay $1 for used copies of games. I don't think publishers or developers see a penny of that. For all intents and purposes, you might as well be pirating because the end result for the creators is the same.

Unless the game was stolen from the publisher then those guys have gotten their money for that copy of the game. They sold it to a retailer, the retailer sold it to a consumer, that guy sold it to me. Prices were different at each point. If they want money from me they might start by trying to sell to me, all they want to sell to is a retailer.

If retailers want my money they need to compete with the consumers who own the game.

There is plenty of money going around and I'd rather pay a guy who owns a copy of the game rather than a store who owns a copy of the game.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

22. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 12:40 Jerykk

I'd prefer to keep my gaming on legitimate copies of the software that is sold by the publishers who paid the people to create it. I'm paying into the system just like the people who buy it new.

That's stretching it a bit. You pay $1 for used copies of games. I don't think publishers or developers see a penny of that. For all intents and purposes, you might as well be pirating because the end result for the creators is the same.

21. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 12:13 Tumbler

If saving money is your primary goal, wouldn't piracy be cheaper?

I'd prefer to keep my gaming on legitimate copies of the software that is sold by the publishers who paid the people to create it. I'm paying into the system just like the people who buy it new. I'm only going to play games that are licensed copies.

If drm continues the current course I imagine my gaming will drop to maybe 2 or 3 games a year. I already do considerably less gaming and I think most consumers will go this way as well because there is simply no way people can be content spending $60 for every game they want to play. Most aren't worth it and the ones that are seem to be getting further and further apart.

I think what this DRM is setting up is a virtual monopoly where the biggest publishers basically hoard all the money as people don't want to spend their $60 on a game that might not be worth it. They'll (consumers) pick one or two big titles to jump into and just skip the rest finding other hobbies to fill their needs. Mobile gaming for $1-$10 will likely provide fierce competition in as little as 2 years with how fast the phones are coming along. The barrier to entry for creating software on those platforms is extremely low and a simple gameplay mechanic that people like will sell shit loads for $5 or something and people will basically start passing on more and more of these large titles like CoD and Halo. Well those will continue to sell, it's the 2nd place guys that will have more trouble, like MAG, and Socom, and other niche products.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2010, 12:18.

20. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 10:59 Dev

briktal wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 10:19:
Dev wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 23:47:
LOL, remember way back when, before valve started all this item stuff, the leak of the data files that showed item trading? Everyone was comparing it to wow and all the tf2 people were saying that would surely never happen?
Well it has.

BTW, I enjoy TF2.

They actually said they were going to add item trading. Back in May 2009 (shortly after they released the new item system). "Some of the next things we have planned are:
- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates."
Yes but I'm talking about before they released the item system, there was a tf2 update and some of the code was "leaked" and analysed.

I find it all highly amusing.

Edit:
Here's some links. Neither is exactly what I was thinking of, although the 2nd one offhandedly refers to it without linking to it.
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/100513/tf2-soldier-update-info-leaked
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/98021/tf2-mmo-code

19. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 10:24 Silicon Avatar

18. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 10:19 briktal

Dev wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 23:47:
LOL, remember way back when, before valve started all this item stuff, the leak of the data files that showed item trading? Everyone was comparing it to wow and all the tf2 people were saying that would surely never happen?
Well it has.

BTW, I enjoy TF2.

They actually said they were going to add item trading. Back in May 2009 (shortly after they released the new item system). "Some of the next things we have planned are:
- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates."

17. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 06:04 Dev

Paketep wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 05:51:
Then I remembered this and cried even more: 'Left 4 Dead' Details: Flamethrower Included

According to the report, the DLC content in Left 4 Dead will be "rolling much more quickly" than in the FPS hit Team Fortress 2.

Faliszek explained that DLC plans for Left 4 Dead include more campaign missions, levels, enemies and to the delight of the zombie pyros, a flamethrower will be added "not long after launch".

Wow. How could I miss that?
I've pointed that out in quite a few l4d2 threads

No less a person than Gabe N has promised similar things for L4d1. Its obvious valve decided they should just make a new game of all the planned DLC and call it L4D2, I mean come on, they couldn't have released it in exactly 1 year otherwise.
I wouldn't have a problem with that.... IF they hadn't promised to release it all as DLC for L4d1. And they promised more and faster and better support than TF2. Instead we had ONE dlc for l4d1 and ONE dlc for l4d2. In the meantime how many big content updates have there been for TF2? A number.

Edit:
Ok fine, they had 2 dlc for l4d1. It doesn't change my point. And those 2 dlc added a single game mode and a single campaign, and not much else. They keep promising a new dlc for l4d1, and said all through the build up to l4d2 that they weren't abandoning l4d1, but thats exactly what we are seeing.

16. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 05:51 Paketep

Sepharo wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 22:49:
I'm just glad they are finally giving some much needed attention to TF2 instead of wasting all those resources on L4D and DoD:S

I LOL'd. Then I cried

Then I remembered this and cried even more: 'Left 4 Dead' Details: Flamethrower Included

According to the report, the DLC content in Left 4 Dead will be "rolling much more quickly" than in the FPS hit Team Fortress 2.

Faliszek explained that DLC plans for Left 4 Dead include more campaign missions, levels, enemies and to the delight of the zombie pyros, a flamethrower will be added "not long after launch".

Wow. How could I miss that?

15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update "Next Month" Aug 12, 2010, 04:03 CannibalBob

Looks great; item trading should definitely be interesting and (hopefully) makes items "worth" a bit more.

I just hope they don't make trading direct-only and without some sort of database. I'd hate to see people jump into a game, spam the chat with "WTT X FOR Y" and leave when nobody responds. Trading should take place outside the game imo.

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 01:47 ForgedReality

PHJF wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 23:21:
frackin skin jobs!
*grimmace*

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 00:33 Jerykk

As long as they put it on the 360 I'm good, or I suppose if they'd sell it for $30 on the PC I might buy it....who am I kidding, $30 dollars, pssh no way. $1 and a month or two wait will do just fine. Seems to be no shortage of people willing to pay full retail price then trade it to folks like me. Gaming has never been so good!

If saving money is your primary goal, wouldn't piracy be cheaper?

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 12, 2010, 00:18 Tumbler

Meh, haven't booted up TF2 in ages, I don't even think I have it loaded. It's a little odd that they would keep updating it at this point. I would hope they'd move to providing support for newer games like L4D2. The mutations have been interesting to hear about but that last for about an hour then I forget about that game again.

Portal 2 will be interesting. I want to know if they will be offering that with any other titles in a box package as before. I doubt it, I'm guessing it will be $59.99 for Portal 2.

As long as they put it on the 360 I'm good, or I suppose if they'd sell it for $30 on the PC I might buy it....who am I kidding, $30 dollars, pssh no way. $1 and a month or two wait will do just fine. Seems to be no shortage of people willing to pay full retail price then trade it to folks like me. Gaming has never been so good!

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 11, 2010, 23:47 Dev

Well it has.

BTW, I enjoy TF2.

Sepharo wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 22:49:
I'm just glad they are finally giving some much needed attention to TF2 instead of wasting all those resources on L4D and DoD:S
Presumably thats sarcasm?

They barely pay attention to l4d2 as it is. And I'm including the simple mutations. Like this last one, they didn't even bother to test it before it went live, because you can't do finale of dark carnival with it.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2010, 23:55.

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 11, 2010, 23:21 PHJF

frackin skin jobs!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update "Next Month" Aug 11, 2010, 23:17 ForgedReality

Maybe they mean 20 new weapons AND 20 new hats.. O.O

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 11, 2010, 22:59 Riker

PHJF wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 22:08:
Had you bothered to read two additional words you might have picked up on "...and hats."

Oh please, I can't be expected to read two additional words... don't be ridiculous. I guess I read it as "20 weapons and some hats."

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Update Aug 11, 2010, 22:49 Sepharo

ViRGE wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 22:30:
Riker wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 21:24:
20 new weapons is overkill... looks like they're going with the "kitchen sink" approach now that they've completed the class updates. Very disappointing.
No kidding. Enough with the weapons. Every time they add something it makes the game a little less balanced.

That's just because they weren't adding enough before.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo