Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever?

Attributing the rumor to sources "claiming to have knowledge of the situation" and "sources who wished to remain anonymous," Kotaku reports that Gearbox Software has picked up development of Duke Nukem Forever, the on-hold first-person shooter that was in development at 3D Realms for so long that Wired awarded it a lifetime vaporware award in January 2004. They were unable to confirm this with publisher 2K Games, but they also report one source telling them to expect a playable demo before the end of this year, and that Gearbox president Randy Pitchford indicates he may be able to shed more light on all this next month at PAX 2010. Gearbox was previously identified as the developer on Duke Begins, the presumably cancelled game in the Duke series that was at the center of a legal tussle between Apogee/3D Realms and 2K Games.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 12, 2010, 09:55 Verno

dsmart wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 09:11:
I hate to interrupt the regularly scheduled developer bashing, but let me see if I get this straight...

In an industry where all the hardcore games and developers are going out of business, being bought out by larger firms and then put to use developing shovelware (read: social games), or switching from "real" games to social or consolified crap, you all are bitching at/about Gearbox - a decent and credible developer - for taking on a PC game that, with any mention makes our collective fanboy man-nipples tingle? A game that, despite all the funnies, we're all going to flock to like Lemmings on launch day? Seriously?

Gearbox, the "decent and credible" developer who flat out lied to sell Borderlands to PC gamers? So much for that unique PC interface. So much for that simultaneous PC development. So much for the multiplayer being tested and functional at launch. Straight out of Randy Pitchfords mouth in several interviews. Yeah I'll be skeptical of anything they do regardless of the state of the industry. And no, patching it all up later on doesn't make that all better.

A game that, despite all the funnies, we're all going to flock to like Lemmings on launch day? Seriously?

Who are you kidding? DNF will be pirated to hell and back at this point. Very few people are going to take a chance on it anymore and most of the mainstream "buy it based on boxart at retail" people have moved onto Wii games and have kids. Hell, I've already even paid for DNF, preordered it back in something ridiculous like 2002 and the receipt has since not only worn right out but been shredded during a move.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 12, 2010, 09:38 Mr. Tact

*sigh*

I'm torn between wanting to ignore DNF "news" and being fascinated by it. Overall, I think I just wish it would end. I wish either the game was released or that I never heard another word about it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

50. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 12, 2010, 09:11  dsmart 

I hate to interrupt the regularly scheduled developer bashing, but let me see if I get this straight...

In an industry where all the hardcore games and developers are going out of business, being bought out by larger firms and then put to use developing shovelware (read: social games), or switching from "real" games to social or consolified crap, you all are bitching at/about Gearbox - a decent and credible developer - for taking on a PC game that, with any mention makes our collective fanboy man-nipples tingle? A game that, despite all the funnies, we're all going to flock to like Lemmings on launch day? Seriously?

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

49. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 12, 2010, 01:49 StingingVelvet

ASJD wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 23:51:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 16:34:
It will prolly be converted to a console shooter now. LOL!

You actually think it was ever not going to be a console shooter?

Way back during the first say 5 years of development it likely wasn't. It was a PC exclusive at that point, as far as I know. It was certainly multi-platform for the past 5+ years though.

48. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 23:51 ASJD

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 16:34:

You actually think it was ever not going to be a console shooter?

47. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 21:48 Sepharo

If they do this right it will feature a voice menu to spout catchphrases that enemies and npcs will react too.  

46. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 18:25 Elf Shot The Food

I have to wonder how much credit George will try to take, if it ever is...

He'll probably get some sort of "Advisor" or "Executive Producer" credit, even if he doesn't contribute anything.

45. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 18:03 siapnar

Borderlands was cool at first, until I got past the coolness of the art style.
The gameplay itself got old in about an hour.

Oh and the vehicle physics were the worst.
Wacky Wheels (there's some nostalgia for ya) had better handling.

I still have faith that a good Duke Nukem game is on it's way. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but my great grandson will sure enjoy it... for a few hours.

I have projectile dysfunction.

44. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 17:23 Rhett

Couldn't care less as long as it's an acceptable Duke Nukem game. Well, shit, my PC is still out of order so... I guess I can wait!

43. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 17:16 frag.machine

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 13:58:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEASE STOP REPORTING DUKE NUKEM FOREVER NEWS UNTIL IT IS ACTUALLY RELEASED. It's like a freaking zombie. It just won't die!

I have to wonder how much credit George will try to take, if it ever is...

The irony here is that after 14+ years this game will be rushed out of door, probably in a very unpolished form, just to get the end of year sales.

42. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:34 Muscular Beaver

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

41. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:24 SectorEffector

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 16:18:
Anyway, on topic, as I have said on my other sites today it's fun to kick the game but if it actually comes out and is a half-polished old-school FPS experience with Duke then YAY.

The best attitude, When and If it's out, the judgments can AND WILL be made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

40. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:22 SectorEffector

I assure you they don't care about you either. With Gearbox at the wheel this better be fun or you regrettably will be right  

39. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:18 Surf

Well, game sales back up my assertion too.  

38. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:18 StingingVelvet

I'm the opposite of most here I guess because I loved the Brothers in Arms series, especially the last one, and thought Borderlands was MEH. I never even finished Borderlands, at around 20 hours it became so boring I couldn't take it anymore.

I think that game mainly appeals to the whole "OMG LOOT" thing some people have, which I don't.

Anyway, on topic, as I have said on my other sites today it's fun to kick the game but if it actually comes out and is a half-polished old-school FPS experience with Duke then YAY.

37. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:17 SectorEffector

Play Duke 3D. Compare and contrast features and destructibility compared to games now that are almost 11 years newer.

*Destructible walls.

*destroy almost all props, and toilets that spew water once destroyed
that has a GAME-PLAY mechanic to heal 1hp per sip ( way funnier than sitting with a red screen and then waiting for health to go back to A+ )

*Light switches, shoo-table lights that still will switch on but flicker

*Some of the best levels in any game ( esp with the urban city levels in LA)

*flying vehicles, and workable subway trains in levels players could ride.

*featured earthquakes and other natural events that would destroy the level, not random screenshake

*the weapons... ??? ( I've fired many shotguns IRL, and Duke Nukem 3D's pistol grip pump action shotgun still feels amazing )

*Destroyable buildings if the mapmaker wanted thru sectoreffectors

*strippers that are interactive ( lol )

It would seem that I'm an obvious DNF fanboi, but I assure you, I'm not.

I'm a Duke Nukem 3D fanboi.

One who has a cognitive ability to see if a game comes out in 1997 and can make you feel like your blowing some serious shit up and it feels better than Last super successfull selling Call of Duty MW2...

I just have faith. I don't sit waiting for it, but It makes me happy to know that Gearbox has the IP, esp because BOA HH showed me they know guns.

I swear shooting a real garand is just ever so slightly worse than playing BOH hells Highway, and using its garand on Germans.

I ramble but I mean it when I say it.

First person shooters have to feel visceral.. its nice todays games have huge soundtracks with hanz zimmer and have keifer sutherland to do the voice (codMW) but I shoot a lamp and it just makes sparks, and the story is too linear to explore really...

I just feel compared to most games now, Duke 3D is pretty fucking solid.

I'm a D3D fanboi who ignores gaming news telling me to get mad because they fucked up in development.
I refuse to be a gamer who just plays and mods other makers games and just insult a company for NOT releasing a game. I will only be mad when 3Drealms puts out something shitty, that very clearly has no heart put in it, instead of just getting fired up over them not getting their shit together in the new age of gaming etc.

36. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 16:14 Mcboinkens

Surf wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 11:36:
" Borderlands was, and still is, an incredible game."

Wow dude, are you easy to please. That's like saying a ham and cheese sandwhich is incredible without ever tasting a steak, lobster or a chocolate sunday.

There is NOTHING incredible about borderlands, but it was a good/decent game for a few hours if played coop. It was stable, looked good, easy to learn but extremely repetitive.

To each their own I guess.

My opinion is better than yours so I will present it as a fact!

/sarcasm

35. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 15:57 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2010, 15:53:
A lot of of people - myself included - are way past caring. In fact, I wish this IP would go away permanently.

I don't "care" if the game ever comes out at this point but it's certainly amusing as hell to read about.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

34. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 15:56 SectorEffector

I loved the BIA games.

To this day nothing simulates a good WW 2 firefight, and I pop a german in the head and it gibs half of his head open.

I loved Borderlands because it was a great mix of randomized weapons like diablo but a great FPS element. Again the gore and the dismemberment was awesome and had replay value beyond th games story.

Duke Nukem Forever is about killing things mainly, or blowing them up and looking good.

With the gore in both of their biggest shooters and the viceral feeling that BIH Hells Highway has with the thompson, I bet DNF will be fun at the VERY least ( really, believe it you troll haters x100)

Don't get me started on the awesomenewss of how Hells Highway grenades throw enemies into their air with limbs missing, or heads blown in half.

As stupid as this sounds but as a gun nut, I've found most games have the most weak sounding guns, or weak feeling guns that leave sticker looking decals. and there are a minority of games that just capture the feeling of a solid gun spewing lead perfectly. I think Gearbox has shot many a guns, they've got the whole "gun" thing down perfectly with FPS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but who wants to play a FPS where the guns's just feel lackluster.

I feel CODMW's guns all have the most pussy sounds I've ever heard.

It's like how I feel Quake III's railgun gives more umph and satisfaction than any of COD's cheesy toygun sounding Sniper rifles.

anyways...

If your any longtime PC gamer with who at all cares about DNF, this could be the best news you could hear.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2010, 16:02.

33. Re: Gearbox on Duke Nukem Forever? Aug 11, 2010, 15:53 Cutter

A lot of of people - myself included - are way past caring. In fact, I wish this IP would go away permanently.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo