Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I recently discovered that I only really need to follow one rule to avoid the acid reflux I've been diagnosed with, which is to avoid eating too late in the evening (which I think means I don't really have true reflux, but maybe that's a quibble). I proved this last night by failing to follow this rule, and giving myself a terrible case of heartburn. Okay, lesson learned (again).

R.I.P.: Oscar-winning actress Patricia Neal dies at age 84.

Hot Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Humaliens Battle.
Links: 20 Counterproductive Video Game Covers.
Does It Matter If They Get Comic Book Movies Right?
'Weird Science' vs. 'Real Genius'- 25th Anniversary Geek-Off. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Official: ‘Entourage’ series will end next summer.
Science: Looting, Cannibalism and Death Blows: The ‘Shock and Awe’ of Ant Warfare.
Infographic- Shark attacks. Thanks Digg.
New flexible aerogel can be used as magnetic sponge.
Celebrities morphed into game characters.
If Obi-Wan was female. Thanks Digg.
Media: Projections.
Complete History Of The Soviet Union To Tetris.
This is how the History Channel died.
The Funnies: xkcd- Pore Strips.
Follow-up: This Bedbug’s Life. Thanks MYRMECOS.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 10, 2010, 12:15 Kxmode

AnarKane wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 18:27:
Rolaids is your friend, Blue.

TUMS > Rolaids

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 10, 2010, 10:03 briktal

Jim wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 20:30:
mch wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 11:31:
Funny, I decided yesterday that the History channel had died when I checked On Demand and the only programming they had available was reality TV shows like fucking Ice Truckers.

Agreed. 95% of what is played on History Channel is NOT history. They ought to go back to being the World War II channel. I think the last good show I've seen on History was Wild West Tech. Now its all UFO's, Nostradamus, and Monster Quest. WTF does that have to do with history?

Actually, I kinda wish there was a channel that showed the UFO/Doomsday shows history/discovery had in the 90s. I'd rather have stuff like that than 12 hours of Ice Road Truckers and Pawn Stars.

36. Re: Date Aug 10, 2010, 06:25 peteham

Hoop wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 20:54:
Could I please take this opportunity to disclose my birthday this year .... 10/10/10!!!!!!!!....doo doo doo doo......doo doo doo doo.

Please tell me in binary 101010 means great one or great big one.
Afraid not. But interestingly enough, it's actually '42' in decimal, which we all know to be the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything (ref. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 22:52 Elvis

Blue, did you see this recent link at HP re dealing with acid reflux & gerd? Had some things I hadn't seen before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/3-simple-steps-to-elimina_b_649609.html

34. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 21:28 WarPig

AnarKane wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 18:27:

I can't speak for Blue, but for me (who's never been diagnosed with acid reflux only because I haven't been to a doctor in a couple decades) Rolaids and Tums are about as effective as wishing the acid away. Alka-Seltzer and Pepcid AC Complete at least work for awhile. In fact I usually eat very little for lunch just so I'll be hungry enough to eat before 6:00 pm - and then I always take a couple Alka-Seltzer before going to bed.

GO SEAHAWKS!

33. Re: Date Aug 9, 2010, 21:17 Hoop

Sepharo wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 21:15:

Even better... It's the meaning of life.

Of course!
Enlightenment day!
So long suckers!

Um .. Behind you...

32. Re: Date Aug 9, 2010, 21:15 Sepharo

Even better... It's the meaning of life.

31. Re: Date Aug 9, 2010, 20:54 Hoop

Jim wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 20:26:
This site is usually my source of what would normally be unnoticed coincidences with the numbers representing the current date.

That being said, Blue didn't mention that today is 8/9/10, but I guess I'm a bit late since it would have been more appropriate to have posted this at 11:12.

Could I please take this opportunity to disclose my birthday this year .... 10/10/10!!!!!!!!....doo doo doo doo......doo doo doo doo.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2010, 21:05.

Um .. Behind you...

30. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 20:30 Jim

Funny, I decided yesterday that the History channel had died when I checked On Demand and the only programming they had available was reality TV shows like fucking Ice Truckers.

Agreed. 95% of what is played on History Channel is NOT history. They ought to go back to being the World War II channel. I think the last good show I've seen on History was Wild West Tech. Now its all UFO's, Nostradamus, and Monster Quest. WTF does that have to do with history?

Jim

29. Date Aug 9, 2010, 20:26 Jim

This site is usually my source of what would normally be unnoticed coincidences with the numbers representing the current date.

That being said, Blue didn't mention that today is 8/9/10, but I guess I'm a bit late since it would have been more appropriate to have posted this at 11:12.

Jim

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 20:15 Hoop

Start up a metal band & call it Acid Reflux.
As the lead singer only do gigs when you have acid reflux.
........Profit. Drummer Guitarist Furious2

Um .. Behind you...

27. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 19:44 Overon

You need more than 1 data point to be sure that eating late at night leads to your acid reflux. But then again experimenting on yourself might put you through a lot of pain.

Personally I would eat different things at night and see what happens.

26. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 18:27 AnarKane

"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

25. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 17:49 Sepharo

I preferred the History Channel when it was 24/7 WWII (or simply Hitler).

Now if I happen to catch it at my parent's or friend's house it's always Aliens, Bigfoot, Ghosts, or bad reality show.

24. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 17:12 kanniballl

I'll admit, Ice Road Truckers was one of the very few reality shows I watched... I think it was for 1-2 seasons that it kept my attention.

Not so much because of competition, but seeing the stuff they have to deal with in terms of ice, weather, road conditions, etc. Also how they had to treat the trucks so they could handle the harsh temperatures.

In all honesty, it wasn't until my late teens that I heard that *this* was how they had to ship stuff up there. Until then I assumed it was ice breaking ships, so when they had a show about it I decided to give it a whirl.

I used to watch more documentary stuff in the past: Discovery, Military, History channels. However lately I haven't caught much.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 16:16 PropheT

I used to watch it pretty often, but these days it's either things like Ice Road Truckers or some logging show....or worse, the crap that's been on the last two times I've turned it on that has been exactly like what they had in that spoof video.

One was about people being scared of the dark because if you went out in medieval times you were guaranteed to be killed by bandits, and the other is about the influences of aliens on past cultures and how they built the pyramids. It was like 13 year old boys theorizing on history and then turning into a documentary, only it was serious.

22. Does It Matter If They Get Comic Book Movies Right? Aug 9, 2010, 15:39 kanniballl

The "Does It Matter If They Get Comic Book Movies Right?" editorial was alright.

I don't mind if they don't get my favorite comic book characters 100% accurate, so long as they keep to the basic premise and don't make a horrible movie.

I'm fine if Green Lantern's costume looks different or if they tweak his origins here-or-there. I'll be more upset if a comicbook -> movie sucks in general than if they mess with the origins a little.

Besides, like the guys states, even the comics can't keep things straight. They retcon the comics constantly, they can't help themselves. So the question is, which version do we stick with? We're going to offend SOMEONE about the details so how much do we keep? etc

Actually, The Green Lantern is a good example of retconning: for a while the GL used his willpower + imagination to make constructs. Now-a-days in the comic Green is the visible representation of the emotion "Willpower", that's its place in the emotional spectrum. Yellow is fear, Red is anger, Orange is greed, Violet is love, etc.

But someone who hasn't read the comics in 3+ years might not know that, so if they saw that in the film they'd flip out that it wasn't just "the glow" that the Oans mastered millennium ago, or it's not from a chunk of the green element, or a meteorite crafted into a lantern and now used by Alan Scott, etc.

That being said, they need to stay in the ballpark. If you make Superman, keep him as a Kryptonian with the basic range of powers and the super-wholesome attitude, a pillar of hope. Don't turn him into the "Dark Knight" just to make him edgier and to try to rake in the cash from people that like Dark Knight. I mention that because there was a rumor the next Superman flick would follow that route, and because the TV show Smallville has Clark Kent calling himself the Blur and acting like Batman

If going with Hal Jordan, then try to stay in his ballpark.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2010, 15:51.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 15:21 space captain

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 11:48:
Agreed, I prefer the UK approach to TV. They tend to go very high budget, location shoots and so on. It's expensive so you get less episodes per year but it's of a much higher quality. Wire in The Blood was excellent and right now I'm watching Luther and The Deep, both great shows.

the new "Sherlock" is pretty good too

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 15:17 nin

I actually sat through Brewster's a couple of months ago, after not seeing the film in many a year. I still enjoyed it. And Real Genius never gets old, I watch it maybe every 1-2 years for some reason or another.

But some other 80s/70s movies I can't sit through any more, either through personal preference/growth/etc or the movie simply hasn't aged well.

Yeah, a lot of stuff from then hasn't aged well at all. I think that's why, even though it was a goofy movie, I enjoyed Hot Tub Time Machine. It wore it's 80s pride on its sleeve, for all to see...

Having said that, Planes Trains and Automobiles is still a classic!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2010, 15:12 kanniballl

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 15:01:
Try Brewster's Millions.

I think that's on netflix streaming, but I've not seen it since it came out, decades ago...

I'll tell you what I want: 1941 on bluray...

I actually sat through Brewster's a couple of months ago, after not seeing the film in many a year. I still enjoyed it. And Real Genius never gets old, I watch it maybe every 1-2 years for some reason or another. Top Secret, eh not so much.

But some other 80s/70s movies I can't sit through any more, either through personal preference/growth/etc or the movie simply hasn't aged well.

As for TV, there are some shows I cannot sit through anymore from way back. Transformers (the original), GI Joe, and Murphy Brown. Meanwhile I'm still fine with a bunch of (more contemporary) cartoons, MASH, and the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Poor analogies, but whatever.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2010, 15:21.

-Fry, Futurama

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo