Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Valve's DotA Game

Voiceover artist Jon St. John, the voice of Duke Nukem tweets of his work for Valve, revealing plans for a Defense of the Ancients game: "Had a great time in Seattle last week recording for DotA. The guys at ValveSoftware are awesome! Going to PAX? Might see you there - Sept3-5." Thanks Joystiq. IceFrog, developer of the original DotA modification for Warcraft III, joined Valve in October 2009, and offered indications earlier this year that a DoTA game announcement was coming soon.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 8, 2010, 08:50 wonkawonka

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 18:04:
make an open world Diablo clone (that uses robots)

Holy hell great idea.

Crazy cyberpunk robots just rushing the shit out of you as you fight them off with lasers and bombs.

I'm down.

Basically an upgrade to good old Smash TV? (for the younger generation: [url=]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_TV[/url])

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 8, 2010, 04:41 Kobalt

Sepharo wrote on Aug 8, 2010, 01:54:

But now that I think about it DotA, HoN, LoL and all that must be ghost towns right now with SC2 being out. Anyone verify?

False. Even more so with the original dota since most dota players are in china.

12. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 8, 2010, 01:54 Sepharo

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 8, 2010, 01:26:
Thatís the only thing you do all day long, you sit on that Ventrilo and play DotA...
I have a friend who does this... with a laptop. Hangin out watching TV or something and he's jabberin into a microphone with his laptop.

But now that I think about it DotA, HoN, LoL and all that must be ghost towns right now with SC2 being out. Anyone verify?

11. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 8, 2010, 01:34 Wallshadows

Also, about the whole Diablo thing. It's been depressing to see the individuals who created the Diablo series parted ways with Blizzard many years ago.

While we have had the highs of Torchlight, we have also seen the lows of HGL. Even though the series which revolves around Diablo is prety simplistic: click, click, click. I think we need an actual Diablo title to cure the simplistic yet addictive game play and title.

While we can have games like Titan Quest and Torchlight, it will never be Diablo. In this case, it's 99% title and 1% gameplay. Even so, I know that when I pick up Diablo III, it will make me forget about Titan Quest and Torchlight.

That's both a good and bad thing. I can't deny the fun I have had, but I know that when Diablo III comes out that that's all that I will care about.

For a long, long, long time....

10. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 8, 2010, 01:26 Wallshadows

Thatís the only thing you do all day long, you sit on that Ventrilo and play DotA...  

9. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 19:22 peteham

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 19:05:
There already was a sort of cyberpunk Diablo clone. It was called Restricted Area, and it sucked hard. I think it was more fighting mutants than robots, though.
Oh, and then there was HGL

8. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 19:09 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 19:05:
There already was a sort of cyberpunk Diablo clone. It was called Restricted Area, and it sucked hard. I think it was more fighting mutants than robots, though.

Oh yeah I now remember actually playing that for a bit. It was pretty primitive though from what I remember but then again it was 2005 huh. But like you said it was more mutant, or post/near apocalyptic than just tons of robots.

7. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 19:05 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 18:43 Bucky

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 18:04:

Holy hell great idea.

Crazy cyberpunk robots just rushing the shit out of you as you fight them off with lasers and bombs.

I'm down.

It sounds like a crazy idea until you start to think about it. Using robots removes all sorts of stupid self-imposed limitations. Everything from character design, weapons, armor, and violence (no more blood and gore to worry about) along with the fact that since your robots are already doing large amounts of violence you can justify anything else you want to put into the world.

WWII was used by every game designer imaginable, then zombies became popular. I'm gonna make the claim right now: robots will be next.

5. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 18:04 Sepharo

Holy hell great idea.

I'm down.

4. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 17:58 Bucky

I don't remember the deal, but I've obviously sold my soul to Valve since they keep making games I love.

If they ever make an open world Diablo clone (that uses robots) I'll know I've promised them my first-born child too. Hey, leave me alone, I can dream all I want.

3. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 17:36 Verno

Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 16:49:
"We're doing every game imagineable, except Episode 3/Half Life 3!"

Creston

Did you really want the maker of DotA working on Half-Life 3 though?

Valve is continuing its tradition of picking up indies and giving them the cash and guidance to make awesome games.

Meanwhile the other publishers probably kick themselves every time they think about:

TFC, TF2
CS, CS:S
DoD, DoD:S
Portal, Portal 2
L4D, L4D2
Alien Swarm

It would be nice if they would give DoD even half of the attention the other games on that list have received.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

2. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 16:57 Sepharo

Valve is continuing its tradition of picking up indies and giving them the cash and guidance to make awesome games.

Meanwhile the other publishers probably kick themselves every time they think about:

TFC, TF2
CS, CS:S
DoD, DoD:S
Portal, Portal 2
L4D, L4D2
Alien Swarm

1. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 16:49 Creston

"We're doing every game imagineable, except Episode 3/Half Life 3!"

Creston

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.