Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions

QUAKE LIVE is back online after some scheduled maintenance for the formerly free online shooter. We say formerly free because they have launched two different premium subscription plans for the service, though "standard" QUAKE LIVE play remains free. There is a Premium Subscription Plan for $1.99 a month with some perks including exclusive maps, and a Pro Subscription Plan for $3.99 per month offering further features, including the ability to start your own server and invite players with Standard memberships to play on Premium maps. The full rundown follows.

The Premium Subscription, which can be purchased for $1.99 per month, billed annually, includes:

• Access to 20 QUAKE LIVE Premium only maps at launch with more to come. Premium maps are a combination of brand new maps and frequently requested community favorites from previous QUAKE games such as Aerowalk, Theater of Pain, Japanese Castles, and Realm of Steel Rats;
  • An all new ‘Freeze Tag’ game mode;
  • Exclusive premium level awards;
  • Create your own clan and join up to five separate clans;
  • Custom QUAKE LIVE profile wallpaper; and
  • Match statistics stored for six months.

The Pro Subscription, which can be purchased for $3.99 per month, billed annually, includes all of the premium subscription features as well as:

• The ability to start your own game server, specify a server location, determine the game mode and invite who you want to join you;
  • With the Pro Subscription, you can invite three friends with Standard level memberships to play with you in any Premium level map;
  • Exclusive pro awards;
  • Create your own clan and join up to ten separate clans; and
  • Match statistics stored for 12 months.

The QUAKE LIVE ‘Standard’ version is still free to play and includes friend lists, access to one clan, matchmaking, and stats tracking delivered through a web browser with over 40 arenas and five game modes.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 13, 2010, 03:14 Mercyful

Quake live is total Fail, it's garbage! No mod support, the last few games they release such as quake 4 they just fail on support and follow-up. Bascially taking your $50-60 dollors and then telling to kiss thier behinds... Then they give us this crap. Screw up the gameplay and weapons, don't provide some of the most popular mods like Rocket Areana.. Force feed us crappy weapons, hit box, and knock back that account for garbage gameplay, then want you to pay for pro and premi acounts for new maps that they might feel like porting over and allowing you the privilage to play on thier crappy system. And then if you do buy it, ohh you get to play maybe 2-4 new maps.. wow gee goly!! The original Quake 3 Arena is much better and more fun to play... And Unreal 3 Engine blows away this and ID's latest garbage releases now a days.. pft.. save your money.. ID = Disapointment!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 15:37 Yifes

Don't most Quake 3 players play CPMA Quake anyways? No idea who would actually pay to play vanilla Q3.  

35. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 09:02 Beaner

I loved Quake but who is going to pay for this?  

34. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 07:04 Kxmode

Kali called. They said they want their service back. You know the service that used to be free.  

33. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 03:10 zirik

peteham wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 11:57:
you can still download the dedicated server client for linux and windows from id software.
Yeah... That's not exactly "at the push of a button" is it? Moreover, the monthly fee essentially includes dedicated server hosting. Do you have any idea how expensive that normally is, for a quality host? Compare this to your link, which basically entails you running the server on your home computer/line.

These are value-added features to FREE game. Nobody's forcing it on you. Newsflash: The game industry isn't a charity organisation aimed at people with an entitlement complex.

tell me they removed all the advertisements for the premium users and i will buy your argument about the monthly fee.

32. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 8, 2010, 03:05 zirik

DG wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 16:19:
The QUAKE LIVE ‘Standard’ version is still free to play and includes friend lists, access to one clan, matchmaking, and stats tracking delivered through a web browser with over 40 arenas and five game modes.

that argument gets really tired by now dont you think? anyone who is remotely familiar with quake 3 would have played it when it came out ten years ago. there was only a handful of online shooters back then. why would giving it away for free in quake live make it appealing? i tried it when it was in beta and i could not get over the dated graphics. quake 3 graphics was great back in the day but there is just no excuse to see low polygon count on 3D models today. i would be interested in the actual statistics of this game just to see how many younger generation find it worth playing. did id software release the numbers yet? how many readers from this website play quake live on a regular basis?

31. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 16:40 Kobalt

Hey I heard this is still free to play, can anyone confirm?  

30. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 16:39 fujiJuice

Make it Quake 1, and I'll be interested. I never really liked Quake 3, give me original Quake, doesn't get any better than capture the flag on E1M3.  

29. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 16:19 DG

28. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 15:48 Ray Marden

As usual, I have no basis for this ...but I would almost assert that this is a sly attempt at an experiement by id.

Admittedly, I haven't kept up with this release so maybe they really are singling out this one specific title and heavily supporting it.

On the other hand, if this outdated title can justify a $4.00 per-month fee, what won't the industry charge for? For that matter, how much higher will the "new" charges be?

At the end of the day, I want to play a wide range of games with a wide range of perspectives, elements, gameplay styles, new experiences, etc. I don't want to spend $100.00 a month for the single game I can afford to rent to play.
I love how the industry thinks purchasing a game entitles you to nothing.
Just a subscriber and nothing else, apparently,
Ray

Edit: Oh noez, I put an emoticon next to text. ph33r my new fangled text skillz.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

27. Re: removed Aug 7, 2010, 15:39 Frijoles

The QL community has been asking for this for a while now, mainly to start our own server.  

26. removed Aug 7, 2010, 13:38 Kobalt

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 7, 2010, 14:51.

25. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:57 peteham

you can still download the dedicated server client for linux and windows from id software.
Yeah... That's not exactly "at the push of a button" is it? Moreover, the monthly fee essentially includes dedicated server hosting. Do you have any idea how expensive that normally is, for a quality host? Compare this to your link, which basically entails you running the server on your home computer/line.

These are value-added features to FREE game. Nobody's forcing it on you. Newsflash: The game industry isn't a charity organisation aimed at people with an entitlement complex.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 12:16.

24. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:35 zirik

Theo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 08:30:
1. Q3 doesnt let you host your own servers at the push of a button at a industry standard data centre.

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake3-arena/index.php?game_section=updates

23. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:31 zirik

Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 11:03:
It's also hard to compare this to anything other companies want to do since they gave the client for free and all they're charging for are a few more costly features.

thats right. they have to give the client for free otherwise nobody would pay for a few more costly features for an old game.

22. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:29 Yakumo

I wouldn't say not a single person here is  

21. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:03 Beamer

It isn't like this wasn't announced over a year ago.

And talk about overreacting. Nothing they're charging for was free before. And Quake Live differs quite a bit from Quake 3. If you want to play Quake 3 no one is stopping you, but you're missing the improvements that have come to Quake Live. Bur you can do it if you'd like.

It's also hard to compare this to anything other companies want to do since they gave the client for free and all they're charging for are a few more costly features.

All this is really aimed solely at the extremely hardcore Quake player. Which not a single person here is. Would any of you guys consider going to QuakeCon and spending 48 straight hours playing Quake without sleeping? No? Then no one really expects you to pay for this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 10:25 Mead

Kobalt wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 08:00:
Theo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 06:49:

tbh the quake live service is a great on if you are in to quake; and its totally cheap.

Hey you know whats cheap? God damn quake 3. Let's see one time fee, Or you could pay forever(few months of premium and you could have just bought the damn game). And get laughed at whenever you mention you pay a monthly fee for a borderline ancient non mmo fps.

ID COMING OUT WITH THESE CRAZY SALES1!

I'll laugh when rage fails like every id related game since quake 3 and they cement their status as just a shitty development team inside the company that made oblivion.

Okay, once again, for the slow:
The QUAKE LIVE ‘Standard’ version is still free to play

19. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 08:30 Theo

Kobalt wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 08:00:

tbh the quake live service is a great on if you are in to quake; and its totally cheap.

Hey you know whats cheap? God damn quake 3. Let's see one time fee, Or you could pay forever(few months of premium and you could have just bought the damn game). And get laughed at whenever you mention you pay a monthly fee for a borderline ancient non mmo fps.

I'll laugh when rage fails like every id related game since quake 3 and they cement their status as just a shitty development team inside the company that made oblivion.

1. Q3 doesnt let you host your own servers at the push of a button at a industry standard data centre.

2. Q3 dosnt have tourney level balance changes.

3. have you tried to connect to a quake server these day from the retail box? clearly not. what with the differing mods, map packs, point releases its a fucking night mare, at least this gives people the chance to play (by your own admission) a great Id title for FREE (yes read it) FREE; if you want whats in the q3 box; you already get all that for free + 1 additional well balanced game type. not to mention the standard account has more maps than q3 out of the box.

4. i aint 12 man, i stoped caring years ago about what people think of me, if i like a service ill pay for it. you dont like it? dont pay for it? what is infuriating to me (personally) is generic hate with baseless arguements; isnt it just enough to say "not for me" and walk away?

5. the premium sub works out at 15 quid a year for me, thats the same as a xbox live arcade game - if i play the new map remakes for it more than 5 hours (already did), i am happy. a pro subscription works out at 40 quid a year; not sure i play enough to warrent getting that personally; but its certainly not massive cash.

like someone said earlyer, its the cost of a pint beer or 2 a month. a beer takes what, 5 mins to drink; so if i enjoy a game of quake live for a hour a month, why is it such a bad thing? thats not event to mention achivements, community , stat tracking that quake live has - to say its the same as quake 3 isnt acurate, its quake 3 with bells and whistles, its certianly the best q3 mod/portal i have ever played and i have been playing since test.

/theo

PS: If your argument is based on your general hate of ID, then you have no arguement; just hate, go you - get a cookie.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 10:45.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

18. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 08:00 Kobalt

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo