Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns

Steam News announces the reopening of the beta for Counter-Strike: Source, their teamplay shooter remake. They offer a beta release, and this explanation of what this is all about: "Starting today the Counter-Strike: Source Beta will be available to all PC Counter-Strike: Source players. As we continue to update CSS and address issues, we want to make sure to not destabilize the core game. By releasing updates to CSS Beta first, we will be able to solicit community feedback before those changes are applied to CSS."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 8, 2010, 18:04 Mcboinkens

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 22:11:
Well Seph you had me a few times! I had you too, though xD

I don't wanna be an asshole here but if that whole "hit where you aim" thing was indeed correct -- what I think you wanted to proof -- you sure as hell missed allot. Same for me, of course, but that was kinda the point I was trying to make.

First shots and short bursts indeed hit where you aim, short bursts while moving.. however.. gets that dice rolling already. It's basically what I was saying. Hate to break it.

Sure as hell was a nice couple of minutes and feel free to contact me anytime to kick some ass.

Seems to me like you just don't like how CSS went with a realistic approach to recoil. Just because in other games you've played bullets go EXACTLY where you aimed doesn't make CSS aiming bad, just different. I hate games where the cursor is the exact bullet location, it feels too unreal. Hence, why Unreal had no-recoil guns. Oh, and maybe we watched different videos but I didn't notice any aiming issues in that one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 8, 2010, 03:26 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 22:11:
I don't wanna be an asshole here but if that whole "hit where you aim" thing was indeed correct -- what I think you wanted to proof -- you sure as hell missed allot. Same for me, of course, but that was kinda the point I was trying to make.

First shots and short bursts indeed hit where you aim, short bursts while moving.. however.. gets that dice rolling already. It's basically what I was saying. Hate to break it.

Still you're just describing missing shots and recoil. There's nothing broken, or "I don't hit where I aim" about it.

28. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 22:11 Eldaron Imotholin

Well Seph you had me a few times! I had you too, though xD

Sure as hell was a nice couple of minutes and feel free to contact me anytime to kick some ass.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

27. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 20:56 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 20:41:
... saw, to my pleasure, that they indeed aim anywhere but at the head to make headshots while in a firefight.

It's a mechanic, and I get it. But like I said, I experience it more like exploiting a flawed one.. and I simply don't like it.
Care to play right now? I'll click on your head for you. I'm not going to aim at your foot or some other nonsense to shoot your head. I'm going to click right on it and you're going to die.

Steam username is Sepharo.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 21:17.

26. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 20:41 Eldaron Imotholin

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 20:24:
Like I and many others have said, you must just not being doing it right because that is not the case.

Many others? I'm counting 3, counting the third for your sake.

This or that: It is the case. If you can come up with another explanation why I'm on top 9/10 of the times in ET and can't seem to hit heads when my life depended on it in CSS.. that's the stuff I'd love to hear and I'd be open to it.

And for the record, not to sound like a complete noob, I played some more CSS tonight and started to figure out the mechanics more. I also spectated some pro's (hard to find, cause most were camping with snipers) and saw, to my pleasure, that they indeed aim anywhere but at the head to make headshots while in a firefight.

It's a mechanic, and I get it. But like I said, I experience it more like exploiting a flawed one.. and I simply don't like it.

25. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 20:24 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 20:15:
Also, I have the idea you haven't played Enemy Territory.
I play all most FPS. ET:Pro happens to be one of my favorites.

That game, too, has recoil, you see, just not to a point where you have to aim entirely elsewhere than at the place you want to hit. That sounds more like exploiting a flawed mechanic, and I dislike it.
Still going on about this? Like I and many others have said, you must just not being doing it right because that is not the case.

24. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 20:21 CreamyBlood

I have to admit Enemy Territory had one of the best hit-scans ever. They even tightened it up in a bit in the ETPro mod. Unfortunately I've never played CS or any of the valve MP games for that matter so I can't compare. I could load it from my steam list I suppose but I just started playing ET again and prefer the object based class type games.

23. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 20:15 Eldaron Imotholin

There's recoil.. and there's recoil. I have not the faintest idea which recoil is more realistic - the ET one or the CSS one - but there's a big freakin' difference.

Also, I have the idea you haven't played Enemy Territory. That game, too, has recoil, you see, just not to a point where you have to aim entirely elsewhere than at the place you want to hit. That sounds more like exploiting a flawed mechanic, and I dislike it.

22. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 20:04 Sepharo

So you just dislike recoil?

That would have been easier to say from the start instead of suggesting that people who can aim with recoil are liars.

21. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 19:26 Eldaron Imotholin

You hit where you aim only when you stand still and do extremely short bursts. Apart from that, the "I hit where I aim" assertion is untrue. That very video posted to knock me off-balance is humorously the very proof. The aiming is not like Enemy Territory. That is a game where you hit where you aim, whether you move or stand still to a part of 100% precision when you crouch. That is the reason why I dislike CSS and like ET, RTCW, Unreal and Quake.  

20. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 17:09 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 17:05:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 17:03:
Your 5 minute experiment only confirmed that playing an FPS takes practice.

If you want auto aim go play on the consoles.

I had no such issues with Enemy Territory, RTCW, Unreal and Quake.

Your turn. If we set our backs into it, we can go on like this for at least 5 days.

I've been playing CS since Dec 1999. I know the idiosyncrasies of the aiming and I know how they've changed over the years. But writing:
In CSS I always die. Even though my crosshair is on the other player's head and I pull the trigger, I seem to miss. It's insulting.
and claiming that people are lying when they point out that your assessment is flawed is asinine. You're an idiot for continuing this as long as you have.

19. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 17:05 Eldaron Imotholin

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 17:03:

I had no such issues with Enemy Territory, RTCW, Unreal and Quake.

Your turn. If we set our backs into it, we can go on like this for at least 5 days.

18. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 17:03 Sepharo

17. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 16:42 Eldaron Imotholin

Because of this discussion I reinstalled CS this evening and did a dust2 match. I wish I had Fraps, and I wish I had it playing.

At some point I was running around a corner, saw 3 opponents, opened fire at the first opponent's chest.. and killed all 3 with headshots. I laughed, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry aswell. No shit CS boyz have such an annoying, arrogant and I-R-Da-Best demeanor.

After that, however, I tried to play more disciplined. I aimed for the head and shot in short bursts, coincidently exactly what Anonymous said, and... well... missed, for no apparant reason. My crosshair was indeed on the opponent's head.

Last but not least I tried one of those big green sniper rifles. My crosshair was on the chest of a guy, I pulled the trigger, and he killed me. I think it was because I was strafing.

Evidently indeed this game has the following mechanics if you want to hit somebody:

1. Stand still and shoot in short bursts. If the enemy shoots back, just shoot sporatically because your accuracy is done for anyway.

2. Move and spray somewhere near your target. Precise aiming is of no use.

3. Just charge, aim at chests, and mow down the entire enemy team in the process.

I'll pass

16. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 16:28 Lit_Reflex001

The aiming is designed in CS to force you to play differently. The way it works has changed, however.

In old-school CS, I had to fire in controlled bursts (2 rounds at a time) to get any accuracy. I typically would pop off 2 rounds, followed by single shots. This worked pretty well (and no, 3 round bursts did not work).

I would aim for the chest for my headshots. I found that it wasn't worth the risk for me to aim at the head. I instead would aim for the chest to ensure a hit so that stopping power slowdown would give me a split second for a more precise shot.

CSS has changed the mechanics to where aiming low aims higher and you just keep the aim right there. In the past this would result in sporadic shots, but not anymore.

Apparently Valve is more interested in Quake-like gameplay where you can actually run around without fear of catching a bullet.

They took out most stopping power for both versions (CS original still has more authentic gameplay). You can literally run into a hail of gunfire and aim at someone's head and shoot them now.

Suppressive fire used to exist in this game.

DAMN THESE NEW VERSIONS!! AND YES, BOTH OF THEM!

15. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 16:22 Eldaron Imotholin

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 15:54:
Eldaron give it up man, you're making an argument that simply isn't true.

I don't aim anywhere else but the head. I tap my trigger and get headshots. If you spray all over the place and complain that the aiming is bad that is only your own fault.

5 clicks 5 headshots 5 kills

If this is the case then I guess I never got into CSS enough because of it. I like firefights to last longer that 1 second. Enemy Territory was like that. You shot where you aimed even while moving and while holding down the trigger, and the opponent didn't drop at the first bullet that hit the head.

CS is obviously not my type of game. Shooting while running was either rolling dice or having played the game long enough to know where the bullets went, and I often didn't even see the guy get around the corner only after I was dead. *Ugh* Just to remember that game sucks. Not as bad as the new Transformers though.

14. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 15:54 Sepharo

Eldaron give it up man, you're making an argument that simply isn't true.

I don't aim anywhere else but the head. I tap my trigger and get headshots. If you spray all over the place and complain that the aiming is bad that is only your own fault.

5 clicks 5 headshots 5 kills

13. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 15:10 Eldaron Imotholin

Thanks for aiding me by posting that link, bro. And I'm not being sarcastic. Case in point, indeed. Look again.

Evidently that game has awkward machenics when it comes to aiming. Like I said: 80% accuracy score in Enemy Territory, right about all being headshots since those shots took 3 bullets to kill istead of around 12. In CS, however, I can empty a clip without hitting a man. As you can see in your clip, he often charged holding down the trigger and aiming low to make headshots.

For the record, in the times I played CS I never used a sniper.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 15:15.

12. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 15:07 Mcboinkens

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 14:01:
Kobalt wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 13:36:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 08:06:

The only logic I see is that in the one game I hit where I aim, and in the other I don't.

I hit where I aim in cs. Maybe you should practice a little so you can get better.

You're the first person in my entire life that plays CS and has the guts to blatantly lie that in CS you hit where you aim. When I spectate people, I see them shooting at the FEET of opponents to make headshots with an AK47 while spraying bullets. When I mimic their tactics, I do headshots. I laugh, in a completely-fucked-up-and-not-at-all-entertained way. ^^

Quit before you look even more stupid. Aiming is fine in CSS. Case in point, one of the hundreds of kill mixtapes on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5yw9LpPVGU&hd=1

11. Re: Counter-Strike: Source Beta Returns Aug 7, 2010, 14:21 Yosemite Sam

Spray and prey? lol, peeps might get a kill here and there spraying bullets but 9 times out of 10 they'll be spectating. Face it you just suck... well truth is the skill level of players in CS is probably the highest of any game out there. You have to put serious time into CS to get good, and you have to keep playing to keep it. I got good enough to be recruited, death incarnate with an AK, but after not playing for a long time I would get pwned like a noob if I joined a server today.

"If gamers can't trouble themselves to learn how to play counter strike proper they don't have my sympathy when they get gibbed and owned." Yosemite Sam

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo