Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Patched

Battle.net has details on a new patch that's now automatically available for StarCraft II, bringing the RTS sequel to version 1.0.2. The patch notes outline two fixes, one for an issue where campaign mission victories would not always trigger properly, and another where some players were unable to access single player features.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 7, 2010, 16:45 Eldaron Imotholin

Cholma wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 16:39:
What's the Zoom level on SC II? Is it Supreme Commander-like or Red Alert 3-like?

I've come to passionately hate restricted zoom. I only play Single Player RTS, and I can't stand the AI seeing the whole battlefield at once while I'm restricted to not even being able to see my entire base.

The distance is pretty restricted. I'm no RTS fan so I don't know about other RTS games, but the zoom is as close as Warcraft III.. which I thought was darn close. It's basically a Diablo(clone) kinda distance.

You can zoom in far enough to see allot of detail in the models. It's no SpellForce, though.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 7, 2010, 16:39 Cholma

What's the Zoom level on SC II? Is it Supreme Commander-like or Red Alert 3-like?

I've come to passionately hate restricted zoom. I only play Single Player RTS, and I can't stand the AI seeing the whole battlefield at once while I'm restricted to not even being able to see my entire base.

6. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 7, 2010, 05:03 LittleMe

So, basically if maphack.exe gets released, they reserve the right to check and report if you have that loaded in ram while playing the game, what this doesn't mean is it indexes every piece of software installed on your system and then tells them immediately.

I'd also like to point out that this has been pretty standard of their games since wc3 and I think they even did this kind of thing with diablo II later down the line. It's a hacking countermeasure, and doesn't have much/anything to do with data mining.

Ahh thanks for that answer. I really wasn't sure, but I heard claims that the EULA allowed for data mining peoples' pc's. I'm glad you cleared it up. No I don't work for fox news and just because I have a legitimate concern doesn't discredit that concern or speaking out about it. These days stuff like spying on people's PC's (spyware) or commercial spying on people's computer activity isn't unheard of or completely out of the blue(snews).

Thanks tho. Glad to read it here.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

5. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 6, 2010, 21:31 Draugr

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 18:18:
I think a little bit more Big Brother in society is good for progress. Obviously Blizzard agrees.

I don't know the answer to your question, though. Sorry.

I have no problem with Anti-Cheat protection if they intend to keep the game competitive in the current form that it exists. PC games have been doing this for ages with things like PunkBuster and its like, let's stop pretending this is new.

4. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 6, 2010, 19:05 Luke

LittleMe wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 15:50:
Is this the patch that removes the part of the EULA that allows Blizzard to monitor all software installed on our PC's and report that information to whomever they like? They should pay us to install the game, not the other way around.

(correct me if I'm mistaken, please)

with faceshet in tha house it ain't gonna be better ,

3. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 6, 2010, 18:18 Eldaron Imotholin

I think a little bit more Big Brother in society is good for progress. Obviously Blizzard agrees.

I don't know the answer to your question, though. Sorry.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

2. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 6, 2010, 18:12 Draugr

LittleMe wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 15:50:
Is this the patch that removes the part of the EULA that allows Blizzard to monitor all software installed on our PC's and report that information to whomever they like? They should pay us to install the game, not the other way around.

So you don't even know if you're right? Then why are you talking.
I mean, you may be right, but you can't even bother to check to make sure you are?

What you're Doing is miscontruing a part of the EULA, which reads:

WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER’S RANDOM
ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN “UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM” AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.

So, basically if maphack.exe gets released, they reserve the right to check and report if you have that loaded in ram while playing the game, what this doesn't mean is it indexes every piece of software installed on your system and then tells them immediately.

I'd also like to point out that this has been pretty standard of their games since wc3 and I think they even did this kind of thing with diablo II later down the line. It's a hacking countermeasure, and doesn't have much/anything to do with data mining.

Let's just call it like it is instead of assuming the sky is falling,

Do you work at Fox News?

1. Re: StarCraft II Patched Aug 6, 2010, 15:50 LittleMe

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo