Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Batman: Arkham City Announced

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Batman: Arkham City, a sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum that's expected in fall 2011 for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The preliminary Batman: Arkham City Website is online at one of the 15 recently registered domains related to this franchise, offering a contest promoting the game and a teaser trailer revealing the sequel will feature the same antagonists as the original. The trailer also concludes with a link to Arkhamhasmoved.com which has the same content, and a non-working link to preorder the game. Here's word on the game: "Developed by Rocksteady Studios, Batman: Arkham City builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring into Arkham City, the new maximum security “home” for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, this highly anticipated sequel introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 8, 2010, 00:42 Jerykk

Batman with his tank'ish sort of playstyle wouldn't necessarily not work in an open-world game.

Oh, I agree completely. There's no reason why a Batman game wouldn't work in an open-world setting. After all, you already have the setting ready to go. It certainly would be fun to swing and glide around Gotham, taking out muggers, carjackers, bank robbers, etc, in between bouts with the big villains.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 7, 2010, 07:21 Eldaron Imotholin

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 23:14:
Why Assassin's Creed and not, say, Prototype? Because Altaïr registered every little cobble, every gap in the road, every pylon, pillar, stepping-stone in the water, every brick and gap to grab to advance in his climbs etc. Every detail in the world mattered in the Assassin's Creed gameplay (although somewhat simplefied) unlike in Prototype.

If by "registered," you mean "played itself while you held down two buttons and stared blankly at your screen," I agree completely. However, that is not something any game should aspire to. Games are defined by interaction and when games play themselves, they're kind of missing the point. Assassin's Creed was certainly pretty to watch and the animations were great. However, that's all style, not substance.

I agree. The game was horribly simplefied with the mechanics it had. Still I think I made clear what I meant. Batman with his tank'ish sort of playstyle wouldn't necessarily not work in an open-world game.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

37. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 23:14 Jerykk

Why Assassin's Creed and not, say, Prototype? Because Altaïr registered every little cobble, every gap in the road, every pylon, pillar, stepping-stone in the water, every brick and gap to grab to advance in his climbs etc. Every detail in the world mattered in the Assassin's Creed gameplay (although somewhat simplefied) unlike in Prototype.

If by "registered," you mean "played itself while you held down two buttons and stared blankly at your screen," I agree completely. However, that is not something any game should aspire to. Games are defined by interaction and when games play themselves, they're kind of missing the point. Assassin's Creed was certainly pretty to watch and the animations were great. However, that's all style, not substance.

36. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 20:45 Eldaron Imotholin

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 11:06:
I really doubt they can make this open-world and feel the same.

Batman moved kind of like a tank. That just doesn't work well in open-world environments (even if the RDR dude turned and sidestepped like a tank.) The whole way you controlled Batman and fought was designed around tight, narrow environments. Even the wider-open areas had tight, narrow enemy groupings.

I'd expect this to be more of the same. Which I don't mind. I loved exploring Arkham and beating dudes up, even if how I did it didn't change much for the duration of the game. I think you can argue that no single piece of this game was perfect, but the sum of all the parts was much closer than most games get.

I partially agree with you and I completely understand and agree with your "Batman moved kind of like a tank" comment. However, does this then mean it doesn't work in an open-world environment? No offense, but views like that stand in the way of progress.

In a former comment I mentioned that if Arkham City was to be an open-world, with the AA type of gameplay (like Batman moving like a tank) it would become an immensely sweet combination of Assassin's Creed and AA.

I think Arkham City could be like that. A big open-Gotham-world where every detail matters and therefore Batman The Tank would fit in nicely -- not to forget his awesome gadgets.

Again, saying that AA's type of gameplay "doesn't work" in an open-world environment is not having an open mind.

35. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 20:21 Prez

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 11:06:

Batman moved kind of like a tank. That just doesn't work well in open-world environments (even if the RDR dude turned and sidestepped like a tank.) The whole way you controlled Batman and fought was designed around tight, narrow environments. Even the wider-open areas had tight, narrow enemy groupings.

I'd expect this to be more of the same. Which I don't mind. I loved exploring Arkham and beating dudes up, even if how I did it didn't change much for the duration of the game. I think you can argue that no single piece of this game was perfect, but the sum of all the parts was much closer than most games get.

You and I have bumped heads before Beamer, but I gotta say I completely agree with this.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 12:54 Eldaron Imotholin

Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 08:54:
kanniballl wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 03:12:
So I'm down for a large setting, but I don't want sandbox.

Agreed, we have enough open world games already.

If that comment made sense, we'd have enough of every type of game already.

33. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 12:31 Jerykk

Good point. A criminal rebellion sounds more realistic than a prison district, but I'm sure they'll pull it off regardless. I'm just happy it's going to be in a city setting.

My guess is that after Arkham got pretty screwed up, they had to temporarily move the prisoners somewhere so they just dumped them in the ghetto areas of Gotham.

32. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 12:28 PHJF

I don't want a sandbox game, I just want a bigger world. I said this before but I'd like them to crank up the Metroidvania. The groundwork was in place for Asylum but it never really took off.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 11:26 Elessar

Grumpy Sod wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 03:34:
While it might sound a bit dumb housing criminals in a district of Gotham, it's fairly obvious how they ended up there. Everyone on here (and presumably elsewhere) has said 'please set it in Gotham', and the only way to do that while still including a healthy supply of goons to beat up is to do something like this. I guess it would still have made more sense to just have them take over a few city districts, but then there wouldn't be a logically defined border to hold the player in.
Good point. A criminal rebellion sounds more realistic than a prison district, but I'm sure they'll pull it off regardless. I'm just happy it's going to be in a city setting.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

30. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 11:06 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 10:07 BobBob

Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 08:54:
Agreed, we have enough open world games already. There's something to be said for a focused experience that still allows for some exploration without going full bore on the sandbox meter.

Very true.

28. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 08:54 Verno

kanniballl wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 03:12:

Agreed, we have enough open world games already. There's something to be said for a focused experience that still allows for some exploration without going full bore on the sandbox meter.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

27. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 04:47 Jerykk

Given the two year dev cycle, I highly doubt this will be an open-world game.  

26. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 04:37 Prez

There's definitely a balance to be maintained between open-ended and scripted. It's hard to do both perfectly. A open world Gotham you can explore while still having a linear story progression sounds awesome, but it's easier said than done if the last generation of games is any indication. But I have immensely high hopes after the original.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 03:34 Grumpy Sod

While it might sound a bit dumb housing criminals in a district of Gotham, it's fairly obvious how they ended up there. Everyone on here (and presumably elsewhere) has said 'please set it in Gotham', and the only way to do that while still including a healthy supply of goons to beat up is to do something like this. I guess it would still have made more sense to just have them take over a few city districts, but then there wouldn't be a logically defined border to hold the player in.  

24. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 03:12 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:11:
I hope Arkham City is actually, like, a city. I loved Island but I'd like them to flesh out the hub to more than just three little interconnected outdoor areas. Let me explore, dammit!

Eh, I don't want it TOO open-ended.

I tend to grow tired of very large sandbox games like GTA 3/4, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc. I get really into it at the beginning, but after a while after branching out a little too much I get bored and never get far enough.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 02:04 Akuinnen

I hope Arkham City is actually, like, a city. I loved Island but I'd like them to flesh out the hub to more than just three little interconnected outdoor areas. Let me explore, dammit!

That's what I was hoping for. Stalking criminals on the rooftops of Gotham would be keen! Still the first game was fun, even if I quit at the last boss fight with the joker.

22. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 6, 2010, 01:33 Prez

Whenever I hear someone talk about how console 'ports' can't be good, Batman: AA is the game is use as evidence to the contrary (Of course, the meaning of port has been adopted to mean concurrent development for PC and console as well). What a great game! Okay, so the point about simplistic fighting can be made, but to me the fighting was awesome. It made me feel like the ninja-trained fighting badass I was supposed to be, not some ham-fisted old guy who lacks the coordination to do anything but get has ass handed to him in most fighting games. Some of the boss battles were a tad lacking, but short of those tiny quibbles, I loved the game. Rarely have I been so excited about a sequel. Now 2011 needs to hurry up and get here!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 5, 2010, 21:59 Eldaron Imotholin

nin wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 11:31:
Speaking of games I'm looking forward to, first Torchlight and now this. Add in Portal (and dare I dream, Diablo 3?), and 2011 is looking like a great year for gaming.

Diablo 3, nin? Sorry buddy, gotta wait 'til 2015. Maybe 2014 but then I'm just being silly optimistic.

If they can put that solid, polished feel AA had into a (semi-)sandbox kinda game it'd be awesome and groundbreaking. Think Assassin's Creed meets Arkham Asylum, gameplay wise.

20. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 5, 2010, 19:11 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo