Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight 2 Announced

The Torchlight 2 Website is live, announcing Runic Games is at work on a sequel to their well-received action/RPG for release in spring 2011. They also show the way to a PC Gamer exclusive first look at Torchlight 2 Artwork and a Torchlight 2 interview with Runic Games on PC Gamer discussing the game with Max Schaefer and Travis Baldree. Word on the game is: "Torchlight II is richly textured with our unique art style, drawing from traditional animation influences and expanding on the whimsical and quirky world captured in the original Torchlight. We aim for that broad appeal that’s appropriate for older kids, but is really intended for the kid in every adult." The announcement reveals the sequel adds cooperative multiplayer support to the mix:

The most exciting new feature of Torchlight II is the multiplayer element. Play with your friends, and use the free peer-to-peer matchmaking service to meet new players of a similar level and interest. Together players will discover expansive randomized outdoor areas and deep ominous caverns; random instanced and persistent dungeons, a huge variety of all new monsters and villains, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. Players journey through the perilous Overworld, enjoying all new weather features, time of day events, and a rich and cunning story to drive gameplay.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 8, 2010, 15:40 Yifes

PHJF wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 16:31:
Eh Torchlight just didn't do it for me. I love Diablo, sure... but only when I'm playing with people. Single player dungeon crawls need the spice afforded by party combat and management.

Agreed. Or at least some kind of story to keep you interested.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 7, 2010, 03:04 BobBob

Verno,

After waiting for a few patches, I'm now playing the entire Torchlight campaign and enjoying it. My opinion has gone from thumbs down to thumbs up.

44. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 7, 2010, 03:03 BobBob

They should have promised 'change' like good politicians.  

43. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 18:15 Eldaron Imotholin

BobBob wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 17:31:
It's time to call the 'promise police'.

We can get throw another few childish remarks out there -- I once again praise BobBob for his mastership in that demeanor, by the way -- but as Krowen pointed out, things were 'promised' yet so far they didn't happen while they're already talking about Torchlight 2. I don't mind because it was a cheap game and I loved playing it for a while, but there it is. And that is all.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

42. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 17:31 BobBob

It's time to call the 'promise police'.  

41. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 17:13 Krovven

For those that want to argue it was never said, or promised or whatever...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4173/working_by_torchlight.php

Max Schaefer: "For $20, they get the single-player game, the editor, and then a free MMO upgrade when it comes out in 18 months."

It's also been known for a long time that the MMO would be Free-To-Play. This could mean the client would always be free to all, regardless of whether you purchased Torchlight...or it could mean the client would have a cost for those that didn't buy Torchlight. Details were never outlined, so getting panties in a knot over what was said is silly.

Torchlight was well worth the $17 I paid pre-ordering it, whether a free MMO client ever comes or not.

40. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 16:32 Cthulhu

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 15:05:
Hmmz, I bought the first game because they promised it would merge into an MMO the next year and people who bought the game were not charged for it. I'm either missing something here, or we've been lied to.
I have been playing Torchlight since it first came out and am a member of the Runic Games forums and have yet to see such a statement made by them as the one attributed to them by the quote above....

Is there a link to a post by someone in charge at Runic that says we'd either get a free copy of T2 OR a free subscription to their MMORPG (which is going to be F2P anyway)? I know that would be pretty cool if true but everything I have read (and remember reading) about Torchlight says otherwise...

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 47°9'S, 126°43'W Cthulhu

39. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 16:31 PHJF

Eh Torchlight just didn't do it for me. I love Diablo, sure... but only when I'm playing with people. Single player dungeon crawls need the spice afforded by party combat and management.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 13:12 Cram

Numinar wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 12:54:
The money I spent on Torchlight, was for Torchlight, and nothing else.

Me too.

And it was money well spent.

QFT

A co-op sequel to Torchlight will also probably be worth the money.

Definitely.

I also do not recall being promised anything in regards to the MMO, which I also read as free-to-play a way back. If there were some promises made that have, or will be broken, then that is weak. I haven't seen any evidence of anything of the sort yet.

37. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 12:54 Numinar

I don't remember being promised anything. I remember being told that there would be a free to play MMO, which I automatically assumed would be crap, and ignored it.

The money I spent on Torchlight, was for Torchlight, and nothing else. And it was money well spent.

A co-op sequel to Torchlight will also probably be worth the money.

Is it my imagination or are some of you people in the business of WANTING to be pissed off so much you look for things to be pissed off about? What is the matter cupcakes? GFC cost you your pointless job or something?

36. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 08:02 Eldaron Imotholin

I completely agree. Neither was I expecting nor hoping for an actual MMO of WoWish proportions. When I heard Torchlight MMO, I too hoped for simple multiplayer and coop. They have their bar raised higher than necessary, it seems.  

35. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 07:24 peteham

So apparently, I need to learn how to read.. The interview states outright that the MMO is still in the works and that TL2 a stepping stone. Not sure how well that that aligns with their original promise; they're not breaking it but certainly stretching things a bit.. Then again, like Prez, I'm not really a fan of MMOs and would much rather have regular multiplayer/coop anyways, but then, I've always imagined that TL: MMO would be closer to GuildWars than WoW.  

34. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 07:09 Eldaron Imotholin

Mcboinkens wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 22:04:
Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 21:41:
Halo wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 20:05:
Or you could make educated decisions and realize that buying a promise probably isn't the best idea.

Look man, I'm not saying Torchlight sucks because the Multiplayer never came.. and that it was a waste of money, do I? I was looking at Torchlight for a while already, before it came out, wondering whether to buy it or not. That promise gave me that last little push for me to buy it. Was that, then, an "uneducated" decision? Why on earth would you use that choice of words in the firstplace. It's not even worth replying to, come to think of it.

Oh what the hell..

Obviously it ticked you off enough to post. You're probably just trollin' anyway.

By all means, elaborate. People are so over-using the term "trolling" lately. All I did was point out an awkward fact. There's a rockhard difference between me and a troll. Look up the definition for an internet troll, is what I suggest.

33. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 04:39 Prez

BobBob wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 04:00:
Too many thin-skinned posters lately. Take your meds.

My problem is that I'm on too many already.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

32. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 04:04 BobBob

Back on topic:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3788yye

http://shotgunpodcast.com/podpress_trac/web/348/0/Shotgun081.mp3

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2010, 04:16.

31. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 04:00 BobBob

Too many thin-skinned posters lately. Take your meds.  

30. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 5, 2010, 23:41 Prez

I remember vaguely them promising an mmo follow-up, but seeing as how I despise MMO's, I'm much happier to see a sequel with a proper co-op feature. The first one screamed for co-op; I couldn't believe they didn't put it in. I see myself spending a lot more time with the follow-up.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 5, 2010, 22:54 ColoradoHoudini

..and there was much rejoicing!  

28. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 5, 2010, 22:04 Mcboinkens

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 21:41:
Or you could make educated decisions and realize that buying a promise probably isn't the best idea.

Look man, I'm not saying Torchlight sucks because the Multiplayer never came.. and that it was a waste of money, do I? I was looking at Torchlight for a while already, before it came out, wondering whether to buy it or not. That promise gave me that last little push for me to buy it. Was that, then, an "uneducated" decision? Why on earth would you use that choice of words in the firstplace. It's not even worth replying to, come to think of it.

Oh what the hell..

Obviously it ticked you off enough to post. You're probably just trollin' anyway.

27. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 5, 2010, 21:41 Eldaron Imotholin

Oh what the hell..

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo