Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We laid my dad to rest yesterday, it was a quiet funeral, and he is how buried with a lot of our ancestors in Green-Wood Cemetery, right in the heart of his beloved Brooklyn. The gathering of family also gave my brother and me the chance to reconnect with an uncle, aunt, and, cousins who we haven't seen in years, and we've resolved to better stay in touch, which is an uplifting side-effect of the somber occasion.

This all resulted in a lack of updates after the morning, and this is likely what will happen today as well, but I expect to be fully back on track as of tomorrow.

On-Track Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Ozee.
Avalon Siege.
Stories: Teen known as 'Deer Magnet' after hitting 5. Thanks Neatorama.
Should Videotaping the Police Really Be a Crime? Thanks nin.
Science: Corn byproduct fructose literally fuels cancer cell growth, study finds. Thanks devicer.
Media: Cool Transformers Webcam Hand Trick Video.
If your textbook could talk. NSFW.
Chinese CGI Version Of Lindsay Lohan's Prison Adventure.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Non Sequitur. Thanks dakslf.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2010, 14:56 Jojo BoZley

Really sorry to hear about your loss.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 19:12 medusa[nyc]

i lost my dad when i was he was fairly young and i was in my 20s it is never easy. my condolences to you and your family in this hard time  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 13:36 xXBatmanXx

Hyatus wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 11:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 11:03:
Now, should videotaping be illegal? I guess I really don't care. I am on video everytime I step out of my car. Doesn't bother me one bit. I conduct myself the same way, on tape or not. I will leave it up to the individual states to decide.

Isn't the law supposed to be that it's illegal to record if the person being taped doesn't believe they are being taped?

If every officer is under the impression that they are already being taped, then the law wouldn't apply, right? I'm sure it depends on the state, of course, but I believe they're all mostly the same.

It is by state.
But it is 2 pronged.
One issue is being video taped without consent.
Another is that it is an officer.

In that STATE, it is 2 different laws.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 12:04 raVen

Losing my dad was pretty tough, I can only imagine how you're dealing with it.

Try to stay positive, but don't get frustrated if you can't stay positive all the time. Go with the flow if you know what I mean.

Best of luck to you and your family. I hope you can find peace.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 11:55 Hyatus

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 11:03:
Now, should videotaping be illegal? I guess I really don't care. I am on video everytime I step out of my car. Doesn't bother me one bit. I conduct myself the same way, on tape or not. I will leave it up to the individual states to decide.

Isn't the law supposed to be that it's illegal to record if the person being taped doesn't believe they are being taped?

If every officer is under the impression that they are already being taped, then the law wouldn't apply, right? I'm sure it depends on the state, of course, but I believe they're all mostly the same.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 11:03 xXBatmanXx

Should Videotaping the Police Really Be a Crime? Thanks nin.

That depends.
But in this case, lets look at the video....

At the end of the video, you see 2 squad cars, not 1.
The rider is constantly looking back, and most likely already sees the lights from 2 squad cars.
People do stupid shit on motorcycles and pulling your gun isn't a big deal as a cop. We do it all the time. He didn't point it at him, and he had a fully marked squad right behind him.
He was in an undercover car, the motorcycle video even points it out when he is sitting in the median.

It sounds to me like this guy was riding like an asshole for many miles, thus 2 squads right on him at the end. We get asshole rider calls all the time - and we chase them down, impound their bikes, arrest them, they lose their license for a year, and life goes on. Lots of these guys run, and his speed would indicate he would be willing to run. I don't see anything wrong with the video. The guy on the motorcycle is a moron for posting it. Just showed evidence of reckless driving (wheelie), multiple illegal lane changes, and excessive speeds.

Have a nice day in court.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

23. Chinese CGI Version Of Lindsay Lohan's Prison Adventure. Aug 6, 2010, 09:57 Steelcamp

Heh...  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 02:58 Kxmode

I am resolved to spend as much time with my parents as I can. I visit with them almost daily. And I'm going camping with them in Yosemite. Thank you Stephen for helping me see how important parents truly are. I dedicate my camping trip in your father's honor.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 01:49 Tom Dean

So sorry for you, Blue. I've been a daily reader for the past 10 years and I lost my own father 16 months ago. I wish I could say it gets easier, but I still find myself missing him most every day. Hang in there - you know our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tom

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 23:02 eXFeLoN

I don't know you and you don't know me. But that doesn't mean I don't care. Hope something happy does come out of your tragedy. Sincere condolences to you and your family.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 21:22 Kxmode

If nobody's around does your magic missile make a sound?  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 18:55 zirik

glad that something uplifting came out of the funeral. i hope it brings your family closer together and remains that way for years to come.

it will take some time to heal the pain of losing your dad. i still miss my mom. it is amazing how i never thought much about learning her recipes for home cooked meals. i used to just observe but never took notes in the kitchen. then when my mother passed away from cancer everything seemed so vivid in my mind. i actually recreated most of her recipes with the help of my dad. its my way of celebrating and remembering my mother. i know you will live your life in memory of your dad. and i bet you will have kids of your own within two years time.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 18:43 ^Drag0n^

Give a ring if you need anything, Steve. You have my deepest condolences.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 18:19 Cutter

i'm 28 and fighting depression since i am 9 years old. I cant drink more than 2 beers. I am lonely and i have been single for more than a decade, i would say 13 years. I got laid twice in my life with the same girl i was around 13 or 14. Remember blue, where your dad went, some people would like to go there as well. Death to me often screams peace.

Well, while we hear now that depression is biochemical - I like to believe that more an invetion of the drug companies whose snake oil is often worse than the disease. We all have our ups and downs, Syd and the downs are just as important as the ups. Question is how can you exert your will to manifest a positive change for yourself? Sometimes you just have to push through the pain to come out smiling. Find something to get you out an about, run cross country, or bike, join a sailing club, learn tai chi or yoga. There's all kinds of stuff you can do to make you better. It's just a matter of will. Are you a slave to your desires or can you master them? There's nothing wrong with being alone, and it's better than being with someone for the sake of being with someone and fear of being alone. Change your perspective and revel in being the lone wolf, wild and free, and sooner or later your mate will find you. But you have to be happy, or at least content with yourself first. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, bro.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 18:15 Hoop

Transformers web cam video was very clever.

Blue my family bonded more than at any other time around my dads death.
I can't think of a better positive to come from the death of someone close.
Take some time out & enjoy them.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 17:48 Hyatus

Wow. I have been skimming the ol' OOTB for awhile and totally missed this. Apparently skimming meant "didn't really read at all".

Sorry, dude.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 17:18 siapnar

My condolences and all the best, Blue.
Healing takes time, hopefully not too long.

I have projectile dysfunction.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 16:26 xXBatmanXx

Best to you and yours Blue.
Didn't post when he passed, words cannot convey how one feels for a friend when a family member passes.....now that he is laid to rest, healing can begin. Been thinking about your household and family since you posted.

Bats.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 15:44 Syd

i'm 28 and fighting depression since i am 9 years old. I cant drink more than 2 beers. I am lonely and i have been single for more than a decade, i would say 13 years. I got laid twice in my life with the same girl i was around 13 or 14. Remember blue, where your dad went, some people would like to go there as well. Death to me often screams peace.
Look what you created... this website is epic and your dad is responsible for all this greatness. May he rest in peace

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2010, 14:45 AngryMax

Feeling for you.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo