Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty sold more than a million copies in 24 hours and 1.5 million copies over the first 48 hours of availability, announces Blizzard. They say this makes the real-time strategy sequel the biggest PC game launch of the year, and that this sets a record "for fastest-selling strategy game of all time."

View
100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

100. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 9, 2010, 14:22 Krovven

deciding on an engine.... did they buy an engine, did they build upon WC3, did they start from scratch, etc.

They didnt use an existing engine. The engine has been built from the ground up.

I imagine they were spending a lot of resources in the early days on WoW.

Most of the SC2 team worked on WoW around 2005 for about a year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

99. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 9, 2010, 13:45 Eldaron Imotholin

Sorry Seph I missed your question. Yeah, I think it's great fun every once in a while! Like I said: A good change of pace.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

98. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 9, 2010, 13:37 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:02:
Yifes wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 18:54:

Actually they started working on SC2 in 2003, and did not begin full development until 2005. Taking 5-6 years to make a game is not inconsistent with the RTS team's previous effort, Warcraft 3.

That's 7 years if they started in 2003, not 5-6. You're welcome to your opinion but when I play Starcraft 2 I do not see a game that should have taken even half that time.

Well, if what Yifes says is true then it depends what you call "full development." If from 2003-2005 they were just spit-balling storyline ideas, deciding on an engine, and playing around with new netcode, then it wouldn't be far fetched to say that 2003-2005 "count" as only 0.5-1.0 years of development.

Especially if you're saying "this game looks like they spent only X years on it. I imagine they were spending a lot of resources in the early days on WoW.

At first glance, it looks very similar to the old. But you have to realize the old one was a 2D game with sprites while the new game is 3D with polygons... as far as programming goes that's a big change.

So while it may look and play like an expansion, it really is a new animal under the hood. Unfortunately I didn't follow the game that closely so I don't know the story: did they buy an engine, did they build upon WC3, did they start from scratch, etc.

Now, if you want to say you don't think it looks good enough to warrant that amount of dev time... that's a personal preference that I will not argue against.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

97. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 6, 2010, 02:05 BobBob

You are all arguing like a bunch of spoiled, whiney, school girls.  

96. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 6, 2010, 00:45 Sepharo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 21:55:
Prez wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 20:02:
That's 7 years if they started in 2003, not 5-6. You're welcome to your opinion but when I play Starcraft 2 I do not see a game that should have taken even half that time.

Agreed, but you are not allowed to have that opinion because Yifes "Master of All Allowed Opinions" says you can't. Because HE says that 12 years is reasonable, then by GOD it is. Rolleyes2

A quick look in every Starcraft thread currently running shows Yifes arguing with someone. That alone should throw up red flags, but apparently squashing dissenting opinions if they go against your precious Blizzard keeps you him busy to notice.

What an UTTER waste of time.

Wouldn't be Bluesnews otherwise, and we keep coming back ain't we? I love this dirty place. A nice change of pace a few times per day.

Are you suggesting that arguing on the internet is fun?

95. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 21:55 Eldaron Imotholin

Agreed, but you are not allowed to have that opinion because Yifes "Master of All Allowed Opinions" says you can't. Because HE says that 12 years is reasonable, then by GOD it is. Rolleyes2

A quick look in every Starcraft thread currently running shows Yifes arguing with someone. That alone should throw up red flags, but apparently squashing dissenting opinions if they go against your precious Blizzard keeps you him busy to notice.

Wouldn't be Bluesnews otherwise, and we keep coming back ain't we? I love this dirty place. A nice change of pace a few times per day.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

94. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 20:16 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:26:
Of course not, this was all part of a study for a college class too and all that I'm sure.

Wait, is he that guy?

93. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 20:12 Yifes

I'm not belittling his opinion, merely pointing out that both of our opinions are irrelevant. My argument always has been that Blizzard also made Warcraft 3, and didn't spend 12 years on SC2. And I never said 12 years was reasonable, but you bitching about it for the last 2 years sure isn't.

I posted in StarCraft II Sells 1.5M and StarCraft II Figures That's 2 out of the 5 SC2 threads on the Popular Threads list, including this one. If you have a pathologic need to make shit up and launch personal attacks, then you can go fuck yourself. Your last sentence didn't even make sense.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 20:37.

92. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 20:02 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

91. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 19:35 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:26:
What you think of development is irrelevant Bobby

I know. That's why I'm telling you the facts, not giving you my opinion.

Of course not, this was all part of a study for a college class too and all that I'm sure.

Nope. There's no logical link between your assumption and my statement. Remember, the '?' indicates a question - not an assertion.

90. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 19:26 Verno

Yifes wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:12:
Having a handful of guys working on overall game design and concept art, while the majority of the team - the artists, the programmers, the producers, working on WOW does not constitute full development. And how much development time you think Starcraft 2 should've taken is irrelevant.

What you think of development is irrelevant Bobby

I wasn't being serious. I'll write things in all capitals next time to make it easier.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

89. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 19:12 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 19:02:

Having a handful of guys working on overall game design and concept art, while the majority of the team - the artists, the programmers, the producers, working on WOW does not constitute full development. And how much development time you think Starcraft 2 should've taken is irrelevant.

I doubt Prez and I even dwell in the same country but you've reached the obvious point of no return in this thread I see.

I wasn't being serious. I'll write things in all capitals next time to make it easier.

88. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 19:02 Verno

Yifes wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 18:54:

Actually they started working on SC2 in 2003, and did not begin full development until 2005. Taking 5-6 years to make a game is not inconsistent with the RTS team's previous effort, Warcraft 3.

Are you and Verno the same person and lose track of who I'm replying to or something?

I doubt Prez and I even dwell in the same country but you've reached the obvious point of no return in this thread I see.

87. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 18:54 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 18:39:
There's a pretty big difference in long development times and games that take a decade but you knew that already. Starcraft 2 is many wonderful things but it's not a game worthy of a six year development cycle, let alone twelve. Blizzard may be notorious for their painstaking process but that doesn't mean people need to be happy with it. I'm sure theres some amusing project management failures tied into the whole story anyways. Yes, I am taking into account that development does not take place in a vacuum where no other products are worked on. Prez and anyone who agrees with him on those points isn't being unreasonable in pointing it out either.

86. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 18:46 Yifes

Prez wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 18:15:
For the record, I'm not accusing you of Fanboyism. I'm a fanboy of a lot of stuff. I'm accusing you of rampant attack dog apologist attacks over small comments about a company you act like you're blood-sworn to defend. I will not be brow beat into changing my opinion because you want to argue that making another game in the interim somehow excuses a company with virtually infinite resources from taking 12 years to provide a sequel to a fan-favorite game. That's patently ridiculous, like your whole crusade to defend all things Blizzard.

As far as flipping out, I tend to flip out when someone pulls a moronic stunt like pulling an off-handed quote in parentheses not related to the post or thread in question just to start a fight and prove how right you are. That was completely stupid and childish on your part, so the whole discussion is your fault.

I never said you accused me of fanboyism. Are you and Verno the same person and lose track of who I'm replying to or something? You accusing me of doing imaginary things seem like a theme around here.

And you're saying that because Blizzard's MMO division made a lot of money, the logical next step is for them to expand their RTS division? You're the ridiculous one here.

And now saying shit in parenthesis makes it off limits to comment on? Oh yeah, I'm going to say a lot of things in my post, but remember, you can only respond to the things I want to discuss. Are you fucking kidding me?

Trying to start a fight? What the fuck are you talking about? Did I say something personal? Did I make fun of you or your music or your family or something? I pointed out that they also made Warcraft 3. You viewed this as an attempt to start a fight, and flipped the fuck out. Right, I'm the childish one here.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 20:04.

85. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 18:39 Verno

Yifes wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 17:52:
You coming in here and ranting about posts from another thread is also irrelevant

I have no personal investment in CoH, you can slander it all you like but that won't stop me from pointing out when you're incorrect. You're just trying to deflect and frankly it's boring, so I'm not responding to that any longer, moving on.

And how is my "rant" about development times not related, considering we are talking about long development times here? And hypocrisy's the word with your passionate and overzealous defense of COH.

There's a pretty big difference in long development times and games that take a decade but you knew that already. Starcraft 2 is many wonderful things but it's not a game worthy of a six year development cycle, let alone twelve. Blizzard may be notorious for their painstaking process but that doesn't mean people need to be happy with it. I'm sure theres some amusing project management failures tied into the whole story anyways. Yes, I am taking into account that development does not take place in a vacuum where no other products are worked on. Prez and anyone who agrees with him on those points isn't being unreasonable in pointing it out either.

84. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 18:15 Prez

For the record, I'm not accusing you of Fanboyism. I'm a fanboy of a lot of stuff. I'm accusing you of rampant attack dog apologist attacks over small comments about a company you act like you're blood-sworn to defend. I will not be brow beat into changing my opinion because you want to argue that making another game in the interim somehow excuses a company with virtually infinite resources from taking 12 years to provide a sequel to a fan-favorite game. That's patently ridiculous, like your whole crusade to defend all things Blizzard.

As far as flipping out, I tend to flip out when someone pulls a moronic stunt like pulling an off-handed quote in parentheses not related to the post or thread in question just to start a fight and prove how right you are. That was completely stupid and childish on your part, so the whole discussion is your fault.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

83. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 17:52 Yifes

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 17:17:
Stupid posts offend me, not posts about a particular game. You made a very stupid post about CoH and I called you out on it, deal. Yes, you obviously suffer from brand loyalty given your agitation in every SC2 thread that I've seen. You have every right to think people are entitled little babies but that doesn't mean their complaints are wrong. Your rant about development times was barely even tangentially related to what Prez is talking about. He wasn't trolling or even being unreasonable. Blizzard has a huge PR division already and a great name amongst gamers. They can suffer the few justified complaints.

Yes stupid posts offend me too, and Prez didn't need to flip out when I mentioned Warcraft 3. Saying "FFS, they also made Warcraft 3" - what a outrageous fanboy attack on your sensibilities! Quick! Let's run to Prez's rescue!

And how is my "rant" about development times not related, considering we are talking about long development times here? You coming in here and ranting about posts from another thread is what's actually irrelevant; What do discussions about Starcraft 2's gameplay or COH have anything to do with Prez and I talking about the 12 years it took for Blizzard to put out a sequel? You're just dragging things from other threads into this one and stirring shit up. There's another thread out there for you to mount your ardent and hypocritical defense of COH while accusing others of fanboyism.
This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 18:06.

82. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 17:17 Verno

Stupid posts offend me, not posts about a particular game. You made a very stupid post about CoH and I called you out on it, deal. Yes, you obviously suffer from brand loyalty given your agitation in every SC2 thread that I've seen. You have every right to think people are entitled little babies but that doesn't mean their complaints are wrong. Your rant about development times was barely even tangentially related to what Prez is talking about. He wasn't trolling or even being unreasonable. Blizzard has a huge PR division already and a great name amongst gamers. They can suffer the few justified complaints.  

81. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 5, 2010, 15:19 Yifes

Is that the "judge me not by what I say but what I say is allowed to be picked" argument? You're in every SC2 discussion going fanboy when people say anything remotely negative. I did not think it was even possible for someones judgment to be so clouded by misguided brand loyalty that they would excuse a twelve year gap between titles.

I've criticized Blizzard's storytelling numerous times before, which apparently you missed when you oh so accurately summed up my starcraft 2 posting history. And spare me that "you disagree with me so therefore you're a fanboy" bullshit. I've had better discussions with people on youtube. I thought you Verno, of all people on this board, would be above such silliness. If you have any specific issues on why my judgement is "clouded", then bring it up.

And what's this "misguided brand loyalty" bullshit? I've already explained myself, which you apparently didn't care to read:

If you're wondering why I'm commenting, then here's why: How many old PC franchises actually get proper sequels these days? 90% of my favorite games of all time will never again see the light of day. So yeah, it's annoying when great sequel gets released and people bitch about the development time. If Warren Spector announces a PC exclusive, true spirited sequel to Deus Ex tomorrow, I swear some of you around here will still bitch about how long that took. And yeah, I'll respond to you the same way when Valve releases Half Life 3 and you start bitching about how long that took.

And I'm not the only one around here that feels the bitching stems from a sense of entitlement. I've clearly stated that it's exceedingly rare when ANY PC game gets a good sequel nowadays, and if you still think this attitude is somehow exclusively tied to Blizzard, then you can kindly fuck off.

Edit: I see now why you're so adamant at labeling me a fanboy. Apparently someone feels quite strongly about COH, and had their own defensive reaction. See the discussion in the other thread.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2010, 16:50.

100 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo