Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's a very sad day for me today, as my dad died yesterday afternoon. This came very shortly after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, though it's quite apparent that he must have been sick for quite some time, as by the time it was identified, it was already an extremely advanced case. This is in part because he was very averse to doctors and hospitals, and clearly avoided seeking any sort of diagnosis or treatment until things got to this point, but considering what a horrible disease this is, he did not end up suffering as badly as many do, and for that we are thankful (the fact is that even when it's caught early, the long-term prognosis for lung cancer patients is pretty grim anyway). With apologies in advance, I'm going risk sounding preachy to take this as an opportunity to suggest that those of you who smoke cigarettes look at my dad's example and consider quitting. He quit himself about 10 years ago, but that was after smoking for decades, and while lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide, according to the Wikipedia almost 90% of lung cancer deaths across the developed world are caused by smoking, so this is widely avoidable. Take that as you will, but if even one person could take a lesson from my dad's situation to avoid a similar fate, it would mean that some good could come from all of this.

Anyway this was the family emergency I mentioned early last week, and it may cause a further disruptions, as it sounds likely that the funeral will be during the week. I am expecting things to settle down to "normal" by next weekend.

Mournful Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Atomic Reactor.
Spectrum TD.
One Step Back.
Links: Being Keith Apicary -- Meet the Borat of the Gaming World.
The Video Games of Today Reimagined in 8 Bits.
Space Invaders Chair. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: I Wonder Woman take you Batman. Thanks Matthew.
Elmhurst eye-rolling incident raises questions. Thanks Neatorama.
Broadway sings blues over synthesizer invasion. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Some trees 'farm' bacteria to help supply nutrients.
Calcium pills 'increase' risk of heart attack.
Inception the LEGO version.
Media: If Cartoons Were Real.
Conan works for Best Buy.
Happy Birthday Sam Raimi from James Franco.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: A Consumer's Guide to the Latest Credit-Card Traps.
Mars Rover Spirit May Never Wake from Deep Sleep. Thanks Digg.

View
122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

122. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2010, 17:11 Phil R.

My belated (but heartfelt) condolences to you and your family.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

121. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2010, 07:51 Ligur

My condolences.  

120. Re: Out of the Blue - Condolences Aug 3, 2010, 22:13 Tumbler

I'm sorry for you loss Blue. That is terrible news.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

119. Re: Out of the Blue - Condolences Aug 3, 2010, 18:39 ICGhost

My truest, absolute and deepest condolences on the loss of your father.

I've almost lost my father twice, and have been blessed with an opportunity to spend time with him in the realization that loss is imminent.

I also sympathize with your position on smoking - 3 years ago two spots were found in my chest, and I became a non-smoker that instant. The outcome was thankfully not cancer, but I've never forgotten the fear and idiocy I felt for choosing to do something that could rob myself and my children.

Wake up and live!

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2010, 22:58.

118. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2010, 03:07 stingray

I would also like to express my sincere condolences to you and your family.  

117. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2010, 02:14 Keebler

Blue, my deepest condolences on your loss.

I have been a reader of yours for over 10 years and appreciate everything you do for the community.

Rich

116. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 20:52 Dan =0)

Very sorry to hear, Blue. My thoughts are with you and the family.

Dan

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

115. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 19:35 jam777

I am very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and yours.  

114. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 19:19 spindoctor

Very sorry for your loss Blue, and my condolences.

I quit smoking a few years ago myself. I have to say that, in retrospect, it was one of the better things I've done in this short life. The habit lasted a few years but to be perfectly honest, I never understood why I used to smoke. It was this realization which finally got me to quit after a huge number of non-serious, half-joking attempts at quitting.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

113. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 16:10 UnderLord

My sincerest condolences to yourself and your family.  

112. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 14:35 Starang

I am sorry for your loss.  

111. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 13:44 Kxmode

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your loss Stephen.  

110. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 13:26 Tango

Terribly sorry for your loss Blue. You'll be in our thoughts. All the best.  

109. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 11:42 KilgoreTrout

I should have made myself clearer, sorry for that. No need to be upset. I wasn't referring to whether or not obesity is bad.

I was referring to your anecdotal evidence regarding your smoking relative who lived until old age, and the other relative who led a healthy life and still died young. Your conclusion seemed to be that lifestyle does not matter greatly in regard to longevity, and randomness dictates who dies and who doesn't.

Which can seem true on an individual basis, but is most definitely untrue when you look at the statistics over the population as a whole. Not smoking raises your average life expectancy and overall health expectancy significantly. Not being obese too. Which you actually are saying too, funnily enough.

Or, short version: Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

108. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 11:38 Dev

My condolances.

Blue, if you need some time to take care of stuff, don't hesitate.

107. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 10:32 Enahs

My condolences Blue. You have posted many times about your family very openly, and it tends to make people who visit here everyday (even if we no longer have the time to post everyday) feel close to you in a weird way. I really am sorry for your loss.

Remember the good times.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

106. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 10:31 Enahs

Get a few buddies, lock yourself in a garage for a few hours and smoke up a storm and see what happens. Than try it without smoking and a car that's running and see what happens.

You will die from asphyxiation with the car; You will not be able to breathe. Cigarettes cause cancer because they contain chemicals that are radioactive. Very small amount, and they are just alpha emitters. With alpha emitters, the radiation can be blocked by a thin piece of paper, but when you put it directly into your lungs you are possibly getting a very high amount of radiation in your lungs. When I say high, we are still talking trace amounts here. That is why it takes years to do damage, if it does.

I have not read everything, nor do I care, nor am I making any foray into yours and his argument. I just thought I might point that little bit of science for everybody.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

105. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 10:27 Zuckuss

Sorry for your loss, Blue.  

104. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 10:03 Bludd

You have my condolences, Blue. Remember the good times.  

103. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2010, 10:01 LittleMe

Blue, my sincerest condolences. I'm glad to hear he didn't suffer for very long. I hope you can find peace in his death and be happy with your memories of him. Celebrate life!  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

122 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo