Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing

AMD now offers new ATI Catalyst 10.7a Beta Drivers, which adds the anti-aliasing support for StarCraft II that was missing until this release. In addition to ATI Catalyst Control Center-based Starcraft II anti-aliasing under Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, the beta drivers also feature performance improvements for Quad ATI CrossFireX for Eyefinity.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 19:40 personman_145

Ant wrote on Jul 31, 2010, 17:03:
Bosanac wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 18:04:
Whats the big deal? I play on 1920x1200 on Ultra and haven't once noticed a need for anti-aliasing. Looks beautiful, runs beautiful, who the shit needs AA?
Same here. I do use a little FSAA like 2X. I do use it more for older games that have plenty of juice to sarcifice. Overall, I don't care for it. I do care for anisotropic. Also, I play on a 19" LCD monitor at native 1280x1024 resolution.

Yeah I'm not that crazy about 24-bit color either... and what's with these texture-mapped polygons?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 17:04 Ant

Prez wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 21:47:
Blame all the people that refuse to leave Windows XP.

That'd be me! Nahnah

I need a better reason than Just Cause 2 to upgrade from an OS I'm perfectly happy with.
Me too. My XP Pro. SP3 works fine for what I do.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 17:03 Ant

Whats the big deal? I play on 1920x1200 on Ultra and haven't once noticed a need for anti-aliasing. Looks beautiful, runs beautiful, who the shit needs AA?
Same here. I do use a little FSAA like 2X. I do use it more for older games that have plenty of juice to sarcifice. Overall, I don't care for it. I do care for anisotropic. Also, I play on a 19" LCD monitor at native 1280x1024 resolution.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 10:32 personman_145

mag wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 22:02:
Overon wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 20:38:
Don't blame Blizzard for this - they're using a modern engine.
Blame all the people that refuse to leave Windows XP. In order to support XP Blizzard must leave out AA, as it doesn't work with modern engine techniques in DX9.
Where are you getting this info from? How do you figure?

His poop hole.

Remember GTA4 and all the bitching about anti-aliasing? GTA4 uses a deferred renderer and DX9...

18. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 03:14 Dev

ForgedReality:
Now both ATI and Nvidia support AA for SC2 in drivers.

17. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 01:13 Xirix

I'm a AA whore myself, I just can't stand games without AA anymore altho SC2 is an exception. It's not that bad on 1680x1050.  

16. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 31, 2010, 00:07 Jerykk

Blame all the people that refuse to leave Windows XP. In order to support XP Blizzard must leave out AA, as it doesn't work with modern engine techniques in DX9.

Is there any particular reason why they couldn't have just added DX10 support with AA, in addition to DX9 support without AA? It's not like Blizzard didn't have the time or resources to do so.

15. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 23:35 Watter

To me AA is not about the jaggies when still, it's about the dot crawl and other awkwardness when things move around or my view changes. That's why be it 800x600 or 1920x1200, I still want AA. I've had a 1920x1200 monitor since 2005 and to my eye, I haven't played a single game using a 3d engine that wasn't improved dramatically when AA was turned on.

Recently Divine Divinity II ate my system up in terms of performance and I had to make a choice of either running it at my monitor's native resolution with AA off or turn on AA and run at a non native rez. I picked the native resolution and was annoyed at every turn by the dot crawl of the vegetation and other environmental items. Finally I picked up a GTX 470 and oh what a difference!! To me AA just makes a game more immersive, and frankly enjoyable. It looks and feels more like a film than a game. I'd rather drop the poly count than give up AA.

As I said above, I know my preference is completely subjective. I have a buddy who can readily see the difference between AA on and off, but doesn't care a whit about it. I cringe when I see him play games, but hey, he's enjoying himself just as much as I am, so who am I to judge?

14. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 22:02 mag

Overon wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 20:38:

His poop hole.

13. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 21:47 Prez

Blame all the people that refuse to leave Windows XP.

That'd be me! Nahnah

I need a better reason than Just Cause 2 to upgrade from an OS I'm perfectly happy with.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 21:24 ForgedReality

The problem is, you guys are playing on low resolutions such as 1920x1080 when you should be playing at at least 2048x1280. XD  

11. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 21:19 jomisab

Well that didn't take too long, did it?

10. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 20:55 Beamer

It's a deferred renderer.

Deferred renderers have significant advantages over other solutions.
They also have some disadvantages. Among them are the inability to do AA in DX9. They can do it in DX10.1 and DX11, but not DX9. It must be done at the driver level with DX9.

I'd imagine Diablo 3 is built on the same, or a similar, engine.

With about a third of the gaming population refusing to leave XP, be it because they are running outdated hardware or think Microsoft is a bunch of evil suits that created DX10/11 and Windows 7 in a marketing think-tank solely to take their money, deferred renderers remain AA free.

Now, could Blizzard have supported DX10.1 and enabled AA for those users. Probably. Not sure why they didn't.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 20:38 Overon

8. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 19:35 Beamer

It better be an option for Diablo 3.

Almost definitely not.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. No subject Jul 30, 2010, 19:19 HellSlayer

OMG OMG OMG o0  
o0

6. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 18:40 Kosumo

What next, Blizzard complaining because all the money that they are making dose not have anti-aliasing on it!  

5. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 18:37 Wallshadows

I play on 1680 x 1050 on Ultra and I don't see the point of needing AA. The only place which could use it is on the Hyperion or in the cute-scenes but that's a small and otherwise trivial situation for a snag on overall performance.

Especially if you plan on playing multiplayer and get stomped when you're computer runs at 10 frames per second. That's not lag, that's your system taking a dump because you thought AA is important.

My system started to get a little slow on the final mission from Zeratul so I couldn't imagine how or why AA would make that more enjoyable.

Could it have been implemented? Sure. Would everyone want to hear about users constantly complain about the marginal quality/shitty performance because of AA? likely not.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

4. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 18:31 Tumbler

I don't really get the aa issue either, at 1920.1200 everything looks awesome, do people play at 800.600 or something? What res do you play at if you miss aa?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: ATI Beta Drivers Add StarCraft II Anti-Aliasing Jul 30, 2010, 18:29 Cram

I believe I can somewhat sum up what's been discussed about this on Bluesnews. I think the majority of people calling for AA do not think it's absolutely necessary for them, but believe it's a feature that has absolutely no reason not to be available for them should they want it being 2010 and all. Do I think I personally need AA? Nope. Do I think the option should be available? Abso-f**kin-lutely. If the option were available, I'd turn it on max just because I could.

It better be an option for Diablo 3.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo