Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit

Richard Garriott, the game designer widely known as Lord British, has successfully sued his former employer NCsoft in Austin District Court, winning a $28 million USD award that's just over half of the $48 million he had requested, reports GamePron. Though NCsoft calls Garriott's 2008 departure "voluntary," he contends he was fired, and was forced to liquidate his stock options on more than 400,000 NCsoft shares amid the global financial meltdown, in spite of an agreement that he would have up to a decade to sell the stock in the event he was fired. The court sided with Garriott, and the payout represents the lost value on that stock sale. NCsoft "will be considering all options for next steps in the legal process," according to a spokesperson. As for Lord British, "I am extremely pleased with the jury’s decision, he says. "The facts were clear that my departure from NCsoft was not voluntary. I am very pleased with the final award."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 21:26 Tumbler

Anyone know what the 48 million requested was all about? They said that 28 million was the loss from that forced sale? I'm not sure how they could have calculated that as he had 10 years to sell them so he could still own them at this point.

Did they give him stock? That seems like the fairest thing, give him back his stock options and let him decide when to sell. Maybe they gave him the dollar value of the stock today? (so he could invest that money into the stock and hold it or he could do what he wants with it.

Either Way, high five sir. You crushed a bastard. Julian would be proud.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 19:34 Kxmode

Good for you Mr. Garriott! I may disagree with your gaming decisions but I agree when money is owed the company needs to pay.  

19. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 18:57 Talisorn

I gave of a little WOOT when I read this!!!

I have a hell of a lot more respect for Richard Garriot than NCSoft. In fact as far as I'm concerned NCSoft are the scum of all MMO companies, dropping a game when it begins to get a sniff of not bringing them a profit. Even the much hated SOE keep games on life-support and even actively support them while they have low populations. NCSoft will kill them dead ... even if those games are offered to be taken up by the community or other companies.

The only thing NCSoft seems capable of doing is bringing Korean grind games to the West ... and ALL have been goddamn woeful in my opinion. Most other Western based games they have closed down (CoX withstanding). Even GW I consider crap ... it may be cheap to play, but it's a McDonalds Happy Meal when you have a virtual smorgasbord decent restaurants to eat from.

18. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 17:11 space captain

it makes sense - he probably only signed on to the TR project in the first place because of the lucrative stock options in the contract.. then after the project tanked and ncsoft scrapped it, they thought they could just go back on their word and fuck him over because it wasnt a massive success

wrong.. good job lord british

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 15:38 Wolfen

Warskull wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 15:00:
They've had some spectacular failures, but they've also have some great successes.

Totally. agree with that. Some hits, and some bombs, but big ones both ways.

16. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 15:00 Warskull

He deserved the money. Yes, he lost NCsoft a lot of money and his games lately have been horrible. That doesn't give NCsoft a right to screw him with his contract though.

TorchMaster wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 11:50:
I wonder if this has the potential to force NCsoft into bankruptcy. That’s a sizable judgment and NCsoft hasn’t exactly had many hits lately, see: Aion and Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa. I was interested in what Guild Wars 2 would bring us…

=Torch=

$28 million is a small sum for a company the size of NCsoft. It will put a dent in the quarter's revenues, but in the big picture its just a drop in the bucket. Their MMOs have sucked lately, but they still make a good deal of money of Lineage and City of Heroes. Guild Wars also made them a ton of money back in its day. They've had some spectacular failures, but they've also have some great successes.

15. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 14:13 Pigeon

So basically NCsoft fired him, but labeled it as a resignation, to avoid a contractual agreement, so they could recoup his stock options(at what was probably the lowest value they will ever be at).

What ever someone may think of Garriott, or his games, that was a shit move on NCsofts part and I'm glad they got called on it.

14. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 14:11 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 13:49:
This why you tie any and all financial reward to how the product itself does.

Well, that's what they actually DID. They gave him NCsoft stock options. Presumably, if the game had been a killer, the stock would have gone up, and RG would have had a financial windfall because of that.

The dumb-ass thing for NCSoft to do was to violate the agreement that he could hang on to his stock options for ten years after he was fired. They reneged on that agreement, and that's what he sued them for.

Creston

13. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 13:49 Cutter

Whatever your feelings about Garriot, the fact remains it was was NC Soft who fucked up here. Giving him that sort of deal on an unproven IP was pure stupidity in the first place. This why you tie any and all financial reward to how the product itself does. So in this case he would have got nothing.

Taste the rainbow, motherfucker!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 13:00 Silicon Avatar

I met Garriot at E3 a couple of times. He really is NOT arrogant.

I do think that he's lost his way though.

11. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 12:36 Cthulhu

Glad to see he's finally gotten what he deserves.... I have been following this since it first broke, about 2 years before Dungeon runners ended and I'm happy to see the Courts bitch slap them accordingly....

It always seemed (from the way he recounted his dismissal) like there was some 'coercion' involved on the part of his former masters and the Courts have now validated that..

Good for him... I wonder if we will ever eventually see Ultima VIIII ?

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 47°9'S, 126°43'W Cthulhu

10. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 11:57 Wolfen

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 11:28:
Danazer wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 10:55:
He's an idiot. In my opinion he probably deserved to be fired whether he was or not. He's an arrogant prick. Always has been.

He's never been arrogant. That's just bullshit. His vision for games has just deteriorated to the point where he thinks that if he makes ANYTHING having to do with "social networks", it'll be the greatest thing in the world.

The man did design some of the best RPGs ever (admittedly with help). He's never been arrogant about it.

Creston

I actually agree with you on that. Ive met him twice and he never seemed cocky or arrogant to me. He actually always seemed quite approachable nice.

9. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 11:52 Surf

Guy made more in a few years at NCSoft than everyone here posting on this thread and others for the past 10 years combined!

Christ! Mr. Midas Touch!

8. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 11:50 TorchMaster

I wonder if this has the potential to force NCsoft into bankruptcy. That’s a sizable judgment and NCsoft hasn’t exactly had many hits lately, see: Aion and Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa. I was interested in what Guild Wars 2 would bring us…

=Torch=

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

7. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 11:28 Creston

He's an idiot. In my opinion he probably deserved to be fired whether he was or not. He's an arrogant prick. Always has been.

He's never been arrogant. That's just bullshit. His vision for games has just deteriorated to the point where he thinks that if he makes ANYTHING having to do with "social networks", it'll be the greatest thing in the world.

The man did design some of the best RPGs ever (admittedly with help). He's never been arrogant about it.

Creston

6. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 11:23 ColoradoHoudini

Maybe losing this large chunk of money will force NC Soft into making a quality MMO next time..in response to recouping some of their losses.

hahaha who am i kidding, same old boring and shallow game!

5. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 11:00 Wolfen

A little extreme there, but there is a reason I said I believe he was fired heh. His MMO wasnt really a hit and it took for ever (did it even release?) not to mention rebooted once during its development into a entirely new kind of game mechanic.

That probably didnt sit well with NC Im betting. But I dont obviously know any of the actual "facts" of his firing. I just suspect that those are reasons why he was probably let go.

4. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 10:55 Thenetcase

3. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 10:26 Wolfen

I believe he was fired.  

2. Re: Lord British Wins NCsoft Lawsuit Jul 30, 2010, 10:24 Creston

Good for him. If NCSoft owed him money, I'm glad he got it from them.

Creston

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo