Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Capcom Profits Plummet

Capcom's Quarterly Earnings Report (Adobe Acrobat-format) are now online, showing a startling 90% drop in profits from the same period last year. They attribute this to foreign exchange losses and lower Consumer Online Games Business sales and earnings, this in spite of the number of new titles increased from the same term in the previous year, "when most sales were made of repeat titles, resulting in higher game development costs." Thanks joao via VGChartz.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 21:16 The Half Elf

D_K_night wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 12:17:
...so SF4 wasn't enough pull them out of the red? Hey Capcom...I think it's time for you to come with some...you know...new games, not just rehashed titles over and over.

But it works for Nintendo...

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 14:45 Warskull

D_K_night wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 12:17:
...so SF4 wasn't enough pull them out of the red? Hey Capcom...I think it's time for you to come with some...you know...new games, not just rehashed titles over and over.

This is first quarter so jan-mar, it doesn't include SSFIV (which obviously made a lot of money.) They didn't release anything good in that quarter so profits were low. I can guarantee you profits for 2nd quarter will be way up.

10. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 14:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 12:50:
Deservedly so, I don't know how you screw up rocket pack flying, you would need to work hard to make it unfun. All of the cover shit in that game was so out of place too. I saw this one hilarious developer commentary where he was saying "oh no we aren't doing those silly QTEs" then right behind him in the video there is a 20 second QTE going on.

That was a really good idea they took a shit on, unfortunately. I played the entire first half or so and the whole time I was wishing the game would snap out of its rut and get as good as it could have been.

Oh well.

9. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 13:23 BobBob

I heard if you make a fun game people will buy it.  

8. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 12:50 Verno

Deservedly so, I don't know how you screw up rocket pack flying, you would need to work hard to make it unfun. All of the cover shit in that game was so out of place too. I saw this one hilarious developer commentary where he was saying "oh no we aren't doing those silly QTEs" then right behind him in the video there is a 20 second QTE going on.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

7. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 12:43 Elf Shot The Food

Dark Void hit the bargain bins pretty quick; new copies are already selling for $10.  

6. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 12:32 ASeven

Maybe if they had released SSFIV for the PC the profits would have risen a little bit, no?

On another note, one more bell tolling for the crash of this industry. The industry is cannibalizing itself slowly to the point I fear a second videogame crash will happen, though it will mainly affect the publishers since they will be hit the hardest.

That gamasutra article posted here a couple days ago was very... enlightening. The gaming industry stopped being about passion and love for the game and became profits first. They lost sight of their aim and it won't end in a pretty way.

5. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 12:28 Kxmode

For great justice!  

4. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 12:17 D_K_night

3. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 12:13 Hyatus

InBlack wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 10:55:
I love this sentence though:
"when most sales were made of repeat titles, resulting in when most sales were made of repeat titles, resulting in higher game development costs."

You know Blue added that as a joke, right?

2. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 11:14 Tom

Yeah really, I mean wow. Native English speakers never make mistakes like this!  

1. Re: Capcom Profits Plummet Jul 29, 2010, 10:55 InBlack

Oh surprise surprise....erm profits were smaller because they had new games which *gasp* required money to be made!

I love this sentence though:
"when most sales were made of repeat titles, resulting in when most sales were made of repeat titles, resulting in higher game development costs."

Gotta love the japanese, they are one of the most enterprising nations on earth maybe the last great enterprising nation. But their language skills just suck

I have a nifty blue line!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo