Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Sales Estimates

VGChartz follows their preorder figures for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty with an estimate of the first-day sales of the real-time strategy sequel. They think the game sold as many as 1.8 million units, a pretty impressive figure, and all the more so considering it does not account for Asian territories. They say: "Breaking down the 1.8 million sales in the Americas and Europe, VGChartz estimates that around 31% or 570,000 units were sold digitally via Battle.net (obtained via a study of order numbers during the first day of sale) with the remainder coming from physical retail sales and 57% of total sales coming from the Americas with the remainder from Europe." Thanks joao. In other SC2 news, Big Download has word that chat rooms will be included in an upcoming patch, and Joystiq has word on the RTS sequel's inclusion of a Lost Viking arcade mini-game.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 08:17 necrosis

Not paying $60 for a game with no LAN support locked into some priority service.

I dropped this game like I did BC2 and MW2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 08:02 Dev

InBlack wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 07:35:
Looks like retail seems to be heading the way of the Dodo....
Initially I think steam didn't reveal digital sales because they were low, now I think they dont' want to reveal them because they are pretty high. They don't want to scare the retail industry lol.

33. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 07:35 InBlack

Looks like retail seems to be heading the way of the Dodo....  

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 07:22 Dev

Kosumo wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 06:59:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 06:34:

technically there's 29 missions, but you can only play 26 of them in a single playthrough...there's 3 points where you have to make a choice as to which way a mission goes down

Thats 28 not 29 then, if there are 3 options on one of the 26 missions.
I think he was saying 3 parts during which you choose 1 of 2 choices, thus 3 additional missions you cannot do in 1 playthrough (rather than 1 mission where you choose 3 ways). 26+3=29.

Not that it matters all that much. Keeping in mind that the original SC was about 10 missions per race, and if they are approx the same length, then the SP here for ONE race is equal to the SP of all three races in SC1.

31. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 06:59 Kosumo

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 06:34:

technically there's 29 missions, but you can only play 26 of them in a single playthrough...there's 3 points where you have to make a choice as to which way a mission goes down

Thats 28 not 29 then, if there are 3 options on one of the 26 missions.

30. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 06:55 JayDeath

Yeah, the game is fun. Very well polished as expected.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

29. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 06:34 HoSpanky

eunichron wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 05:26:
As far as single player, all of the pre-release arguments of "3 separate games" and "ZOMG $60" were totally shattered. It is well worth the $60... it's massive, amazingly well done. 26 missions in total, and each one took me on average 20-30 minutes to complete, and I'm a veteran SC player, and I've been playing the SC2 beta since it began, so that's around 13 hours of gameplay for someone that already knew what they were doing. The story is interesting enough that it keeps you wanting to play the next mission, but it can be a little tongue in cheek at times.

technically there's 29 missions, but you can only play 26 of them in a single playthrough...there's 3 points where you have to make a choice as to which way a mission goes down (and they are quite different missions). The decisions have minor repercussions in this game....I'm wondering if they'll affect what missions you get in the addons (even though they'll be seen from another race's perspective).

seeing the amazing amount of detail put into the non-gameplay portions of the game, it's quite understandable why they had to separate the 3 races into their own product - we'd have been waiting another 2-3 years if they'd combined it all into one. By then it'd have looked dated. Right now, the game actually looks shockingly good, which is unusual for Blizzard...they're usually pretty far behind, tech-wise.

28. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 05:26 eunichron

As far as single player, all of the pre-release arguments of "3 separate games" and "ZOMG $60" were totally shattered. It is well worth the $60... it's massive, amazingly well done. 26 missions in total, and each one took me on average 20-30 minutes to complete, and I'm a veteran SC player, and I've been playing the SC2 beta since it began, so that's around 13 hours of gameplay for someone that already knew what they were doing. The story is interesting enough that it keeps you wanting to play the next mission, but it can be a little tongue in cheek at times.

The structure of single player is different from multi; instead of just being given units and all of their available upgrades as in multiplayer, you accumulate credits and research points on each mission that you then use to purchase the upgrades and researches. I found myself making some tough decisions, because throughout the campaign you don't acquire enough credits buy all of the tech upgrades, and for each tier of research you have to choose between a defensive or offensive research. It was a pretty great system, I almost wish they had fit it in with multiplayer somehow (like a Commander customization or something).

I was definitely going to buy this first chapter, and I said the quality of it would decide for me if I would buy the Protoss and Zerg campaigns as well... I've decided now that if the Protoss and Zerg campaigns are as good as the Terran's, they'll be well worth the additional cost.

27. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 01:03 Dev

Tumbler wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 23:48:
Misc Info about Trial accounts. The 7 hour limit is total time in game. Was worried that once you started playing you'd have a total of 7 hours from that time. When you jump into the game there is a red timer bar on the front screen that tells you exactly what time the trial runs out, was 1:51 am when I started and since I shut the game down the time left listed on the battle.net account has stayed at 6 hours 36 min so it appears that it's 7 hours to use whenever.

Thanks. Also I've heard that if 14 days runs out before you use the 7 hours, you lose the trial. In other words, it lasts 7 hours of playtime or 14 days, whatever happens first.

26. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 00:44 Creston

Wow. That's some very impressive first day sales. Damn.

Creston

25. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 00:13 LittleMe

Good to hear. So, anyone got a spare code? I'm surprised they don't just allow this for everyone in the first place.

They probably will but not launch week. Just keeping up with demand for paying customers is probably enough for right now.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

24. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 00:01 Cutter

Misc Info about Trial accounts. The 7 hour limit is total time in game. Was worried that once you started playing you'd have a total of 7 hours from that time. When you jump into the game there is a red timer bar on the front screen that tells you exactly what time the trial runs out, was 1:51 am when I started and since I shut the game down the time left listed on the battle.net account has stayed at 6 hours 36 min so it appears that it's 7 hours to use whenever.

Good to hear. So, anyone got a spare code? I'm surprised they don't just allow this for everyone in the first place.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 23:52 Fausticle

I am really enjoying the single player .It defiantly is long and it switches gears in to 'super awesome' about halfway in.

I have a feeling I'll be playing over the campaign just to get all the challenges and stuff.

The CGI movie in the middle is freaking AMAZING.

22. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 23:48 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 23:26 PropheT

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 22:42:
I've been sitting on the fence with this one too. Is it worth it for the single-player campaign? I wasn't a huge fan of the multi-player. I like RTS along the lines of CoH where cover is used.

The single player campaign is excellent. I have no interest (or the skill, really) in competing online with Starcraft 2, but it's been more than worth the purchase so far. It's really a great game.

I wasn't even a big fan of the first and I'm really enjoying this one.

20. But....but.... Jul 28, 2010, 23:25 Dreagon

...PC gaming is DEAD!!!

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

19. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 23:23 ASJD

Estimates based on absolutely nothing at all! Yay!  

18. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 23:16 Zyrxil

LittleMe wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 22:43:
To put it in perspective, the pre-orders alone mean Starcraft 2 has outsold every PC or console exclusive title of the last 5 years, with the exception of Wii Sports/Sports Resort/Wii Play/Wii Fit and Nintendogs.

Good point. MW2 wasn't an exclusive title. So SC2 pre-orders outsold Halo3? I have a feeling Sc2 is a 'long haul sales' type game that will sell well for much longer than the typical AAA game.
Ah, forgot about Halo 3, that's another exception, it had about 3 million in its first 2 weeks, so we'll see have to see what the Korean numbers say.

17. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 23:08 Dades

I'm happy that they are having success with the game but that site has very suspicious methodology. I'll believe it when Blizzard announces it, something tells me that what Blizzard says about their sales will be totally different than this.  

16. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 28, 2010, 22:48 elefunk

"VGChartz follows their bullshit preorder numbers they had no evidence to back up with bullshit sales numbers they pulled out of their ass"  

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo