Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EverQuest II Free Adventures

A producer's letter from Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson on the EverQuest II Website outlines a new free service from EverQuest II, SOE's MMORPG sequel that will run on their new EQ2 Extended Servers. There's a Q&A with Dave on Ten Ton Hammer discussing this move, and here's a bit on what's involved:

But the free-to-play concept is a strong way to expose the world of Norrath to hordes of new players. Think of it as a huge new way to run a “free trial” like we’ve always done, but without the “14-day” limit, and with a lot more content available to try before you decide whether you want to commit to the game or not. We’ve had over eight years to grow this game, its content and its features, and there’s simply nothing else like it out there.

So, we’re about to launch a bold new service named “EverQuest II Extended” (EQ2X). This is a completely separate service from the standard EQII Live subscription service (EQII). For all intents and purposes, it’s a completely separate gameplay mechanic with the aim to attract new players to the world of “EverQuest II”.

“EverQuest II Extended” shares all the content and features of Live EQII. It plays the same. It looks the same. It *is* the same, with two obvious exceptions: a) it’s free-to-play, and b) it has a more robust marketplace.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 29, 2010, 09:19 Ant

Is EQ2 worth checking out? I never tried it before. I think I tried EQ1, but it was SO old and ugly.

I played WoW (got addicted for a bit), DDO beta was OK, CoV beta was OK, ST:O beta was OK, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 29, 2010, 07:52 Animals for Crackers

Look up Project 1999 if you want a free "as Classic as possible" (Kunark and Velious wlll be beta'd and released eventually) experience for free. Since honestly, the game went to shit and beyond with the release of Luclin. I've been playing recently and am having a blast so far. The highest server population I've seen yet was 1000ish people and the community so far has been very mature, friendly, and helpful towards newbs... besides the occasional rare troglodyte you'd expect to inhabit such a niche community.

I've gotten sick of WoW's extreme tendency to cater to the individual player's maximum convenience, to the detriment of the greater social experience and (what should be)near utter reliance on interactions/doings with other people to make your way in an otherwise unforgiving and dangerous world; essentially what makes classic EQ such an engrossing experience, despite its other well known flaws.

9. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 19:05 Cheese

make EQ 1 F2P then I might be interested otherwise EQ2 gets a pass.  

8. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 18:09 AnarKane

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 13:59:
I can't imagine this working because the model they have in place sucks compared to Turbine.
How true, Cutter, how true...

"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

7. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 15:52 Kxmode

Why are "they" speaking in "a" *Kirk* ... voice?  

6. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 14:53 Bludd

I'll try it.  

5. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 14:37 Tanto Edge

Lame.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

4. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 14:07 Dades

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 13:59:
How strange. Why not just make EQII F2P?

Sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too. They know item stores will anger the regular player base so they will separate the player bases.

3. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 13:59 Cutter

I can't imagine this working because the model they have in place sucks compared to Turbine.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 13:59 Bill Borre

How strange. Why not just make EQII F2P? Well, anyway I guess I can finally throw away my EQII disks. I thought it was a decent enough game to play if it ever went F2P as I would never pay a subscription fee to play a game. The landlord gets my rent, not my entertainment.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2010, 14:07.

1. Re: EverQuest II Free Adventures Jul 28, 2010, 13:21 Coolone

No thanks

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo