Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More StarCraft II

Happy Starcraft II Day, here's your cake. There's a StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Walkthrough on FileFront. Also, The Orange County Register has photos of the game's launch at the Fountain Valley Fry's Electronics store. Thanks Ant.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 17:42 Yifes

Grounded wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 10:37:
I am not paying for a game I have to buy 3 installments of.

End of story

Besides...been here done that....bring on Diablo 3

See previous discussions (Post #49) on why Starcraft 2 having expansions is not a bad thing, considering all of Blizzard's games have expansions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 16:29 Tumbler

That was my exact thought based on some of the lobby shots I've seen recently. While I feel it's a very welcome addition (I REALLY like it), I do find it slightly humorous that Origin was doing this back in 1990.

Gametrailers posted several examples of this stuff if anyone is not familiar with this between mission content. I have to admit this is the most interesting part of the game for me, the movies look gorgeous and it's similiar to how you'd walk around the Normandy in ME/ME2 and talk to each person, a simplified version but equally intersting.

Anyone have a Guest pass to share? (Assuming you can play the SP campaign using that)

Otherwise I'll wait for sales.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 16:12 Dev

AngryMax wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 06:10:
SP i am sure is awesome, but its a multi-player game at its heart.
That depends on who you ask. I probably did only a few hours of MP on SC1, it got boring to be starting building up and having my base destroyed by a pile of units. However SC1 had a great and involved story, well fleshed out, and showed the polish and time that blizzard spent on developing it. In fact, the SP story was so great, they even sold a DVD with the SC1 and broodwar cinematics in higher resolution. I could easily make a case that the SP is where its at with the starcraft games. Especially with this 2nd one where it seems they spent a ton of time on SP campaign and making it great and better and differant, and the MP game seems to some people posting here, more of the same.

Now if gamestop would fracking get off thier lazy butts and drop my package off at UPS. For the THIRD DAY, its sitting at "billing info received" which means that they printed up the shipping label, but haven't dropped it off at UPS (or more likely it didn't go out with the daily UPS pickup, so its sitting in some random place). I'd much rather have the $100 game I purchased while playing the SP, since achivements in the cracked version aren't reflected into a blizzard account.

Dades wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 10:35:
Campaign on Normal is way too easy, bumped it to Hard and its much more enjoyable. I don't get the whole deal behind Joey Rays, the music and setting seem really out of place in the SC universe but other than that I am having a great time with the game so far.
Fortunately, you can set the difficulty on every mission, so if one is too hard, its possible to just lower the difficulty.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2010, 16:17.

36. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 15:14 nin

The SP campaign's story and gameplay reminds me a lot of Wing Commander... and which is not a bad thing.

That was my exact thought based on some of the lobby shots I've seen recently. While I feel it's a very welcome addition (I REALLY like it), I do find it slightly humorous that Origin was doing this back in 1990.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

35. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 14:54 Glowingwind

MattyC wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 04:24:
Did you play the single player at all? I mean it is very different... in a good way.

The SP campaign's story and gameplay reminds me a lot of Wing Commander... and which is not a bad thing.

I'm enjoying it, as well.

34. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 14:16 Trippalhealicks

As I read in an article earlier today, the game was left alone (gameplay-wise) because it features a proven formula that works. A formula from a game that is still largely played around the world, ~12 years after it's release.

Don't fix what isn't broken.
Being a Starcraft / Broodwar player since 1998, I can tell you there are a good number of changes and additions to this game, from the first, but most of the basic foundation and core have been left alone. A welcome approach to a stalwart piece of PC gaming.

33. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 11:07 Dades

The Starcraft 2 campaign is easily 15-25 hours long so people can stop obsessing about the other races being split into expansions. It's obvious the game would have needed another 2 years in development if they wanted to bundle them all together.  

32. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 10:48 Linksil

grudgebearer wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 22:13:
While I loved the first one and the expansions...and I'm sure this is a good game in it's own right...I'm not paying full price for this one when it is being released in thirds. This is a wait until on sale or bundled purchase for me.

This Game isn't released in 3rds. If it was, we wouldn't be able to play protoss and zerg in MP, or SP missions. (Well I've only played human and protoss so far)

The SP in this game is Well past the entire SC1 length and scale. I didn't even finish it after a good 10 hours session and going by achivments I've got a good chunk left. Also the SP is really rewarding for playing it over again, vs the first one that I played and just shelfed. I see myself playing through it again at least once if not three more times.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

31. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 10:45 nin

End of story

And what happens when Diablo 3 has an expansion, like Diablo 2 and all recent blizzard products?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 10:37 Grounded

End of story

29. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 10:35 Dades

Campaign on Normal is way too easy, bumped it to Hard and its much more enjoyable. I don't get the whole deal behind Joey Rays, the music and setting seem really out of place in the SC universe but other than that I am having a great time with the game so far.  

28. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 09:04 SpectralMeat

I did not have time to play much of this yesterday, just started the single player, finished the first 2 missions. I like the gameplay so far. Nothing revolutionary but it is enjoyable. I've never played the first game, I am sure the story have a lot more meaning to those that played the first game.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 08:26 Dmitri_M

Or at the very most all you did was skirmish vs the AI.

Yeah that was my initial impression after doing a few skirmishes. I'll try the SP campaign tonight and see if my impression changes.

26. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 06:10 AngryMax

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 03:35:
I was a casual player of Starcraft back in the day. The sequel feels identical to the first. After an hours play I nearly forgot I was playing a new game. Can someone more familiar with the series tell me what exactly is new in this sequel beyond the graphics upgrades?

I'm all for sequels sticking true to the originals especially today where old franchises are butchered, but this seems so close to be a near remake of the first.

Did you play the single player at all? I mean it is very different... in a good way. Also a lot of sub sections were added like the challenges. If you mean multiplayer only then it is mostly just slight tweaks. However there are several new units and some classic ones perform differently. Obviously the new matchmaking is drastically different. Is it radically different (aside from the campaign)? No, but "I nearly forgot I was playing a new game" just sounds like you haven't played SC2 at all. Or at the very most all you did was skirmish vs the AI.

That is exactly how i felt playing beta. Same old game i played to death when i was younger. Not gonna stop the hype though.

SP i am sure is awesome, but its a multi-player game at its heart.

25. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 05:46 Dev

Numinar wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 02:58:
I can think or a good half dozen people that will just wait for the crack based on this issue who are normally prone to throwing their green at a dozen or more A+ game releases a year.
Waiting for a crack doesn't normally help much on multiplayer games. Most cracks I've seen work for the single player stuff. So that won't exactly help your issue of differant regions.

24. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 04:24 MattyC

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 03:35:
I was a casual player of Starcraft back in the day. The sequel feels identical to the first. After an hours play I nearly forgot I was playing a new game. Can someone more familiar with the series tell me what exactly is new in this sequel beyond the graphics upgrades?

I'm all for sequels sticking true to the originals especially today where old franchises are butchered, but this seems so close to be a near remake of the first.

Did you play the single player at all? I mean it is very different... in a good way. Also a lot of sub sections were added like the challenges. If you mean multiplayer only then it is mostly just slight tweaks. However there are several new units and some classic ones perform differently. Obviously the new matchmaking is drastically different. Is it radically different (aside from the campaign)? No, but "I nearly forgot I was playing a new game" just sounds like you haven't played SC2 at all. Or at the very most all you did was skirmish vs the AI.

23. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 03:35 Dmitri_M

22. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 02:58 Numinar

I can usually handle a bit of DRM, (My playstation and xbox are basically self inflicted DRM machines and I love 'em!) but it is my understanding that they do not just enforce separate player populations in battlenet for competitive matchmaking, which makes sense, but have disabled custom and non competitive matchmaking between different regions as well. Am I wrong on this? In Australia we have been thrown a bone and are allowed to play in SE Asia or North America eventually, but I will buy no copies of this if I am forced to buy more than one to play with my mates in Europe, Oz and Nippon.

I know most people on the planet never leave their mom's basement and hate foreigners, so this isn't a huge problem for blizzard but I can think or a good half dozen people that will just wait for the crack based on this issue who are normally prone to throwing their green at a dozen or more A+ game releases a year.

21. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 02:35 Jerykk

I don't disagree with the principle, I just don't think the two can be separated in this case... or maybe even for the genre in general.

I think SP and MP could definitely be separated for RTS. The guys who play multiplayer generally don't even touch single-player and the guys who play single-player generally don't touch multiplayer. Single-player sells to casual players, multiplayer sells to hardcore players.

It's not coincidence that my favorite games were either completely single-player or completely multiplayer.

20. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 28, 2010, 02:25 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 21:39:
See, if they sold the game for $20 or $30 for the SP campaign, I'd spring for it as I have no interest in the multiplayer. This is why I keep thinking developers really need to start seperating games into SP and MP.

I wonder when nin will come up for air.

With RTS games you can get a whole lot of time out of them playing single player games that have nothing to do with the campaign. I virtually never play online, but the multiplayer component that makes solo skirmishes possible will keep me busy with a game long after the campaign is done and gone... if I ever even bother with the campaign in the first place.

I don't disagree with the principle, I just don't think the two can be separated in this case... or maybe even for the genre in general.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo