Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameZone - Five Issues With PC Gaming.
Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer.

Koku Gamer - Sony and Their Perpetual Hole. Thanks Joker961.
Sony has been digging this perpetual hole for itself since it released the PS3. They are probably the company with least amount of concern for the gamer and their relentless self-promoting and attempted cash-cows have cost them a lot this generation, especially considering the PS2 was a juggernaut last generation for doing almost the opposite of what Sony is doing now. One can only wonder what the executives at Sony are thinking when they make these business decisions and I can only say, thank God that platform has managed to get some really great games on it brought to them by third-parties or this could have very well been the end of the PlayStation.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2010, 12:56 Wowbagger_TIP

I never said co-op requires split-screen, I said it defeats the looking-at-the-other-screen problem some feel exists.
Doesn't really defeat the problem, it just sidesteps it by taking away the competitive element entirely. It's a completely different sort of experience.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 12:58 Jerykk

Nice that you completely ignored how much of a huge pain in the ass it is to take a computer down, put it in a car or whathaveyou and move it to a friend's place.

I didn't ignore it, I just consider it irrelevant to the actual game-playing experience. Also, if you have a dedicated LAN machine, it really isn't all that hard to take apart and set up because LAN machines are generally small and you only use them at LAN parties.

Not to mention those days we brought over a second TV and second XBOX and had 12 people sitting around doing 4x4 Halo (we obviously had to switch off.) There goes any fear of screen watching - each TV had one entire team!

Yes, with each person staring at a tiny portion of each TV screen. Sounds awesome!

Can't really do that with PCs. All we needed were two couches, two tables and four outlets. For 8 people.

Again, if you have to divide a screen four-ways, the gameplay experience is pretty much ruined. I'll gladly put in the effort needed to participate in a LAN party rather than settle for the easier but compromised experience of playing split-screen.

21. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 12:33 Verno

I agree with your first point kxmode but some people really like split screen and the consoles are almost too underpowered to do it properly. If you do a lot of internet gaming then its not a huge deal but if you do hot-seat style co-op then split screen is a great feature.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 11:16 Kxmode

Competing Platforms

What a stupid reason! Competing platforms is awesome! It is probably the only reason we're getting awesome deals. Think what it would be like if Steam was the only player on the block. Do you really think we would see all these sales?! No. Valve would have no reason to do them.

Lack Of Split-screen

FFS, split screen is a console thing goddammit! If you want split-screen go play Need For Speed on a ruddy console. Brood

19. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 10:38 Beamer

I never said co-op requires split-screen, I said it defeats the looking-at-the-other-screen problem some feel exists.

Nice that you completely ignored how much of a huge pain in the ass it is to take a computer down, put it in a car or whathaveyou and move it to a friend's place. Even if your buddies are in the same apartment complex moving a computer is at least two trips, if not more. AKA something you end up doing rarely, whereas co-op on a console is something someone just stops by on the way home from work and you end up doing.

Not to mention those days we brought over a second TV and second XBOX and had 12 people sitting around doing 4x4 Halo (we obviously had to switch off.) There goes any fear of screen watching - each TV had one entire team!

Can't really do that with PCs. All we needed were two couches, two tables and four outlets. For 8 people.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 02:30 Jerykk

Anyone that thinks it's remotely comparable doesn't understand it.

It's not that hard to understand. In terms of the actual experience of playing the game, LAN party > split-screen. All of your criticisms have nothing to do with the actual gameplay experience and everything to do with convenience.

1) That's why co-op has become so popular again.

Since when does co-op require split-screen? Welcome to the internet. Split-screen is certainly not the reason why co-op has become so popular again. Appealing to a broader, more casual audience is the reason why co-op has become popular again. Co-op is simply the least intimidating way to play games for casual players. It requires very little effort to be enjoyable because it isn't the game itself that brings the joy but the act of playing the game with a friend.

2) Most people aren't capable of focusing on all that at once. It surprises me how many people play a good amount and never learn to monitor other screens.

It doesn't take much focus at all. An occasional glance is all you need and it's all that much easier when most split-screen games only support 2 players.

3) For those that can, it's part of the game. Goldeneye's biggest flaw was no bots, meaning 3 or fewer people would get into standoffs easily. But throwing equally matched people into a game was always fun. Monitoring other screens becomes strategy. You know they'll see what you're doing so you need to find ways to either trick them or simply beat them despite their eyes.

In other words, trying to compensate for the inherent stupidity of sharing a screen in a competitive deathmatch experience. As you said yourself, standoffs were common because you could always see what your opponents were doing. Trying to pass this off as some kind of benefit is like arguing that using a gamepad for shooters makes the experience more intense and realistic because it's harder to aim.

As you mentioned in an earlier post, anything is more fun with friends. This includes playing crappy games with crappy control schemes and crappy display modes. Saying that something is fun in co-op is utterly meaningless because almost anything is fun in co-op.

17. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 01:20 Beamer

Split-screen is horrible. I never liked it when I played consoles and I still don't like it now. If you're a PC gamer and you want to play with other people in your home, set up a LAN party. Split-screen is just utter crap. Not only do you get lower framerate but you lose at least half of your viewing area and your opponents can see everything that you see. I remember playing 4-player Goldeneye and it was just terrible.

Oh good, a LAN setup. You need to find the space for two computers. People need to lug their computers over. People need to take their computers apart for this, disconnecting the speakers, the cables, etc. You lose the social aspect of being right next to them and focusing on the exact same thing.

Anyone that thinks it's remotely comparable doesn't understand it.

As for people being able to see everything you're doing:
1) That's why co-op has become so popular again.
2) Most people aren't capable of focusing on all that at once. It surprises me how many people play a good amount and never learn to monitor other screens.
3) For those that can, it's part of the game. Goldeneye's biggest flaw was no bots, meaning 3 or fewer people would get into standoffs easily. But throwing equally matched people into a game was always fun. Monitoring other screens becomes strategy. You know they'll see what you're doing so you need to find ways to either trick them or simply beat them despite their eyes.

-------------

16. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 28, 2010, 00:28 Jerykk

Crappy enough to play games like Mass Effect 2, Mirror's Edge on High settings and Crysis on Medium.

But at what framerates? I find it very hard to believe that K&L2 is particularly, especially that I got a constant 60+ FPS on the first one. I can give the demo a shot but I highly doubt I'll get poor performance.

15. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2010, 00:26 Jerykk

Split-screen is horrible. I never liked it when I played consoles and I still don't like it now. If you're a PC gamer and you want to play with other people in your home, set up a LAN party. Split-screen is just utter crap. Not only do you get lower framerate but you lose at least half of your viewing area and your opponents can see everything that you see. I remember playing 4-player Goldeneye and it was just terrible.  

14. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2010, 22:15 Beamer

have people seriously convinced themselves splitscreen gaming is an asset? jesus.

Yes. Some of us have friends that spend time in our homes.

-------------

13. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2010, 21:54 Nucas

have people seriously convinced themselves splitscreen gaming is an asset? jesus.  

12. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 21:20 Beamer

I used to do plenty of split screen on the PC. Mostly NFS3 or Slicks'N'Slide.

Know what? Being crammed around a PC with someone else isn't fun. With three others and it sucks.

That's the main reason I moved more to consoles. At this point the vast, vast majority of my gaming is split screen. Everything is infinitely more fun with other people.

-------------

11. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 18:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Conviction is another example. Mouse lag so terrible, performance with no optimization,
Conviction ran fine for me on Win7 x64. No lag at all.

Just wanted to concur with the comments stating that the author is apparently some sort of retarded console kiddie who has no idea what he's talking about. I'm not even going to click the link, as they don't deserve it for such drivel.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2010, 17:56 Ant

Make split screen an option. Or if one has dual monitor setup, have one screen and the other for the other player? I never liked split screens on one display.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 16:45 space captain

Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 15:38:
Its asshole comments like this why we get stupid console ports that are total shit.

yeh thats exactly why.. you figured it out sherlock

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 15:51 Caveman

How crappy is your laptop?
Crappy enough to play games like Mass Effect 2, Mirror's Edge on High settings and Crysis on Medium.

Its asshole comments like this why we get stupid console ports that are total shit.

No it's people like the user below you why there's stupid console ports that are total shit.

7. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 15:38 Darks

Fuck split Screen, you want that shit on a pc, then go buy a console or the consol version of the game. Fucking console wanna be bitches!

why would anyone in their right mind want to play a pc game split screen? This is not what the pc was design for.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

6. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 15:22 Jerykk

Then there is games like Singularity, which shows zero signs of PC testing with it's texture bug, and I believe there is no patch yet.

Incorrect. Activision recently released a patch.

Another thing, tried to play Kane and Lynch 2 on my laptop, after about a minute of TERRIBLE performance, I get a bluescreen. Not fun to experience at all.

How crappy is your laptop?

Conviction is another example. Mouse lag so terrible, performance with no optimization, and the need to always be online.

Aren't all these things all true of the X360 version? At least on PC, you can ramp up the AA and it likely still runs better than the 360 version.

Back on topic, the article writer complains that PC doesn't have any "killer-apps." Would Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and maybe even WoW be considered "killer-apps," given their current (or inevitable) popularity?

5. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 13:45 Caveman

My biggest issues are terrible ports with absolutely no QA whatsoever. I recently played Dark Athena on my PC. First off, the mouse lag made the game next to unplayable, and the Ambient Occlusion made the performance even worse.

Another thing, tried to play Kane and Lynch 2 on my laptop, after about a minute of TERRIBLE performance, I get a bluescreen. Not fun to experience at all.

Then there is games like Singularity, which shows zero signs of PC testing with it's texture bug, and I believe there is no patch yet.

Conviction is another example. Mouse lag so terrible, performance with no optimization, and the need to always be online. Also, the matchmaking on PC was broken.

That's the main reason I've basically migrated to consoles. And DRM.

4. Re: Personally, my biggest pet peeve with the PC is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. Jul 27, 2010, 13:15 Narf2029

Hardware - You have it backwards. Hardware is the REASON PC gaming is superior, not the reason it isn't. On top of this console gamers have this crazy idea that if you don't spend $1500 on hardware upgrades every six months you won't be able to play any games that come out anymore. This is wrong. If you spend the money on a high end system it will be powerful and capable of running every game for several years. If you don't want to upgrade, take it to a reputable place and have them upgrade it. Simple as that.

I just did an upgrade for around $200 and I still haven't found a game that I can't run in full detail. As long as you don't want a computer that can sequence your genome overnight and you keep your eyes open for sales and deals it's easy to afford a powerful rig.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo