Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well today is the launch day for StarCraft II. This is obviously a big deal for real-time strategy buffs, which I do not count myself as, but also to PC gamers in general (which I do), so it will be interesting to see how big this all turns out to be. Meanwhile, I will be giving the game a try myself, though I imagine it will probably just kick my non-strategic ass pretty badly.

Real-Time Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: AirBeat.
Ka-Bloom.
CanPop.
Links: 6 Ways Your Office Is Literally Killing You.
Retr0Bright. Clean cases, consoles, and LEGO bricks. Thanks Boing Boing.
Ancient Ninja: Separating the Men from the Myth.
Stories: Boat made from plastic bottles completes Pacific voyage.
99 Cents Only Stores sued over price increase. Thanks Neatorama.
Verbed! Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Education 'helps brain compensate for dementia changes'.
Press Start! - a set on Flickr. Thanks Boing Boing.
Skateboard with Many Wheels.
Media: Video Games Are Dangerous.
Blockheads Burritos Brawl: Fight Breaks Out At Restaurant.
Meanwhile At Walmart ....
Auction: My Little Pony Team Fortress 2 Spy. Thanks Morris via Plaza.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2010, 13:22 mag

Zipzoomfly's always been my second go-to after Newegg, but yeah, frequently out of stock of things. I gather that tigerdirect is kinda popular, but I don't think I've ever ordered from them.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 23:55 Kxmode

Thanks for the tip mag! Checking out their sites now.

Edit: Horrible sites. Their search engine sucks, and they're out of stock on practically everything. Any other site suggestions?

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2010, 00:01.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 23:00 mag

If you have to pay tax to buy from Newegg, you might want to price out the same system at zipzoomfly or ncixus or something to see if you can save a little cash.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 22:37 Kxmode

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 17:47:
Do *NNNOOTTT* get a GTX 465. They were a failed attempt at reducing the price of the Fermi, an attempt remedied by the 460. Either get a 460 or a 470. Or an ATI.

And again, that system is just simply overpriced. The peripherals are junk and there isn't even a monitor. You're pairing a decent $200 motherboard and a very expensive $550 processor (which is unnecessarily high-end, an i7-930 costs half as much) with a bunch of crap.

Thanks PHJF. Once again I cower before your brilliance!

That first build list was from cyberpowerpc.com. My biggest concern with cyberpowerpc is the lack of brand names in their configurator. I went to newegg and put together what I think is a comparable system. green is new.

• $289.99 Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
• $324.99 EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 012-P3-1470-AR Video Card
• $144.99 G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
• $94.99 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
• $23.99 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
• $129.99 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
• $139.95 Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
• $36.85 Linksys WMP54G 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless-G Adapter
• $239.99 ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
• $139.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Sub Total: $1,525.72
Tax: $125.87
Shipping: $5.81
Grand Total: $1,657.58

I think this is much better because all components are 4-5 star rated and brand names. What do you think?

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2010, 22:48.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 17:47 PHJF

Do *NNNOOTTT* get a GTX 465. They were a failed attempt at reducing the price of the Fermi, an attempt remedied by the 460. Either get a 460 or a 470. Or an ATI.

And again, that system is just simply overpriced. The peripherals are junk and there isn't even a monitor. You're pairing a decent $200 motherboard and a very expensive $550 processor (which is unnecessarily high-end, an i7-930 costs half as much) with a bunch of crap.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 15:56 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 11:04:
Format looks familiar, ibuypower? Have you purchased from them before?

No it's not ibuypower. No I haven't.

The formatting was done by me to make the list easier to see.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 11:04 Mr. Tact

Format looks familiar, ibuypower? Have you purchased from them before?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 09:16 kanniballl

mag wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 21:45:
Hah. The last Blizzard RTS I really truly enjoyed playing was WC2, but I was 13 and easily impressed.

I *really* enjoyed WarCraft 2, it's one of my favorite classic games. The gameplay, the humor (of the units), it was a blast.

I later tried WarCraft 3, I was not impressed.

StarCraft was one of my favorites as well. I enjoyed the overall single-player experience (story, cut scenes, etc) and I'm a bigger fan of SciFi with cool looking tech than fantasy with siege weapons. Though when playing as the Zerg you might as well be playing an old-school fantasy game.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Video Card Upgrade? Jul 28, 2010, 03:34 Draugr

kxmode wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 02:23:
PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 01:51:
It's been proven time and time again that a single, powerful card will outperform two lesser cards. SLI is exclusively useful to people who have a top-end card and want more juice.

The GTX460 for $200 is actually the first great bang-for-buck card nvidia have put out in a long time (probably since the 7600GT). Unless you are really into high-end performance, a single should be fine. Just be sure you get the 1GB version (not because it has more memory but because it has more pixel pipelines). From what I've read they overclock extremely well, even with stock cooling.

That system seems extremely expensive given the brand of parts being used. I've never heard of Xtreme Gear before, and when they list a part as "major brand" you should be extremely wary. Also, water cooling systems are best ignored unless you are a power user. Most boxed setups will provide little to no advantage to a great air setup but are much noisier, more expensive and harder to maintain. That particular unit is, again, from an obscure company, to boot.

All in all I'd say give that system a wide berth.

Thank you PHJF! I played around the configurator, and dropped the price by $283. Stuff in green changed...

[specs]

Price: $1,646.00

I'd say go with the 460 1GB for now if you're looking to cut into the price, then grab another later. They SLI extremely well, and when banded together they beat out the 480 performance wise.

14. Re: Video Card Upgrade? Jul 28, 2010, 02:23 Kxmode

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 01:51:
It's been proven time and time again that a single, powerful card will outperform two lesser cards. SLI is exclusively useful to people who have a top-end card and want more juice.

The GTX460 for $200 is actually the first great bang-for-buck card nvidia have put out in a long time (probably since the 7600GT). Unless you are really into high-end performance, a single should be fine. Just be sure you get the 1GB version (not because it has more memory but because it has more pixel pipelines). From what I've read they overclock extremely well, even with stock cooling.

That system seems extremely expensive given the brand of parts being used. I've never heard of Xtreme Gear before, and when they list a part as "major brand" you should be extremely wary. Also, water cooling systems are best ignored unless you are a power user. Most boxed setups will provide little to no advantage to a great air setup but are much noisier, more expensive and harder to maintain. That particular unit is, again, from an obscure company, to boot.

Thank you PHJF! I played around the configurator, and dropped the price by $283. Stuff in green changed...

• CPU: Intelฎ Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
• FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
• MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA-III RAID w/ 7.1Audio,GbLAN,IEEE1394a,USB3.0,SATA-III RAID,3 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
• MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
• VIDEO1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
• HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
• POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
• CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
• CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case
• MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
• NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
• OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
• WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
• OS: Microsoftฎ Windowsฎ 7 Professional (64-bit Edition)
• SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
• USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
• KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
• MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
• SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
• RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Price: $1,646.00

13. Re: Video Card Upgrade? Jul 28, 2010, 01:51 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Video Card Upgrade? Jul 27, 2010, 23:41 Ant

jimnms wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 22:52:
NewEgg is having a sale on select Nvidia cards. I'm currently running a GTX 260 896MB (192 Cores), that will be 2 years old next month. It's not struggling to play any games right now since the rest of my system is practically new (built back in November), but I haven't played any "new" games on it either. For $270 the GTX 470 seems like a pretty damn good deal, plus it comes with a free download code for Metro 2033 (hopefully through Steam) and a $20 MiR. I looked at the specs of the GTX 480, but it doesn't have much more to it to justify nearly 2x the price. I'm talking to myself to decide if I want > need.
I'd say wait for newer cards at those prices if your current one is fine. I am going to upgrade my system at the end of this year, but not planning to upgrade my ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of RAM) since it works fine, even for newer games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Video Card Upgrade? Jul 27, 2010, 22:52 jimnms

NewEgg is having a sale on select Nvidia cards. I'm currently running a GTX 260 896MB (192 Cores), that will be 2 years old next month. It's not struggling to play any games right now since the rest of my system is practically new (built back in November), but I haven't played any "new" games on it either. For $270 the GTX 470 seems like a pretty damn good deal, plus it comes with a free download code for Metro 2033 (hopefully through Steam) and a $20 MiR. I looked at the specs of the GTX 480, but it doesn't have much more to it to justify nearly 2x the price. I'm talking to myself to decide if I want > need.  

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2010, 21:45 mag

I guess thats the major draw towards Blizzard's RTSes , especially in competitive environments. I used to play AOE/AOM/Empire Earth series once in a while but the first game that really hooked me to the RTS genre was Warcraft 3 (and to a lesser extent, the original SC).

Hah. The last Blizzard RTS I really truly enjoyed playing was WC2, but I was 13 and easily impressed. I went to a midnight sale for WC3, but I was ultimately unimpressed by it. It was still fun to play with equally 'unskilled' friends at a LAN, but it was the least strategy-oriented of any of their RTSs (none of which are really about strategy). It was... an adventure game with a base-building minigame.

I've always been bored to tears by competitive WC3/SC games. Oh, look, it's the same build order everyone on the planet uses for that race/map. Oh, look, a vulture is zergling-sniping.

That's not really fair to Blizzard's games, though, because all competitive video games are more boring to watch than golf.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2010, 21:22 Kxmode

In my search for a full system I came across the following. Can someone tell me if the spec is good, and price is right?

• CPU: Intelฎ Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
• FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
• MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA-III RAID w/ 7.1Audio,GbLAN,IEEE1394a,USB3.0,SATA-III RAID,3 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
• MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
• VIDEO1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
• VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
• HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
• POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
• CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
• CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case
• MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
• NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
• OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
• WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
• SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
• USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
• KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
• MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
• SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
• RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Price: $1,929.00

8. Not a Blizzard RTS games fan. Jul 27, 2010, 19:00 Ant

I am more of Westwood's RTS fans like C&C, Dune, etc. I also like World in Conflict. Am I the only one who doesn't care for StarCraft (and Warcraft -- I did like WoW though) series?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2010, 18:40 LittleMe

Another really good RTS for replays is Men of War.. http://www.youtube.com/user/TychoCelchuuu#g/u

Click 'date added' to get the newest vids first. There's so much detail and stuff to know. Armor penetration, weapons, tactics, etc.. Tychocelchuuu is good at explaining a lot of it. He talks a bit too fast maybe but still, a good commentator who hints at the depth of the gameplay.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2010, 15:47 CrashTestDummy

mag wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 12:13:
I'm not even terrible at RTS games, but I suck at Blizzard's RTS games. They're more strongly about micromanagement than any other RTS series I've tried. It's more like they're action games where you control twenty guys than a strategy game.

I guess thats the major draw towards Blizzard's RTSes , especially in competitive environments. I used to play AOE/AOM/Empire Earth series once in a while but the first game that really hooked me to the RTS genre was Warcraft 3 (and to a lesser extent, the original SC).

Its also the reason why games like Total War series never make it to the competitive gaming scene and all Blizzard RTSes are competitive gaming mainstay - They allow skilled players to really show off their abilities in micromanaging masses of units during a battle, while at the same time building units in base, managing economies and expanding simultaneously. A good WC3/SC game with skilled players is a treat to watch , while watching a Age Of Empires game from a viewer perspective is the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2010, 15:29 Zyr

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 13:00:
I'd still like to see the game however so I hope they do a demo at some point.

Might be sooner than you think, all new copies of SC2 come with two key codes for a 7 hour demo. I don't think it's for the campaign though.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2010, 13:00 Cutter

Yeah, I've never cared for the RTS genre in any way, shape, or form either. I find all the micromanaging more annoying than fun. I'd still like to see the game however so I hope they do a demo at some point. That or pick it up when it hits the bargain bin...in about 5 years time. Meanwhile, now Blizzard can focus on the really important stuff like getting Diablo 3 out the door ASAP!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo