Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Midnight Launch

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty goes on sale at midnight, a rolling worldwide launch for Blizzard's real-time strategy sequel that's already underway in some territories. The redesigned StarCraft II Website offers some global launch photos, There's a first-impressions video on New Zealand-based Gameplanet, there are a bunch of screenshots on UGDB, and Gamer's Underground has photos of the launch party in Brisbane Australia.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 20:43 sorted

Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 11:07:
Thanks Dades.

Creston

ditto

"You've heard about the pyramids? This is like the pyramids times ten."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 19:32 Yifes

Dades wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 08:36:
As an older gamer I am a bit disappointed that they have kept the measure of skill based almost solely on APM still, I thought we were moving past that in the RTS genre

There's far more to Starcraft than just APM. APM is like physical fitness when you're playing a sport: it lets you carry out your strategy. Any RTS game benefits from higher APM, but higher APM by itself means nothing.

49. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 18:20 KilrathiAce

Shame starcraft 2 is not on steam. Nuff said.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

48. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 12:07 nin

I was so hoping that'd be Lost Vikings

I kinda like a shooter!

And the fact that there's already a cabinet there would (I would guess) make it an easy point for mod makers to include their own mini games there...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 11:54 Krovven

Ecthelion wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 09:07:
Does the Collector's Edition come with a printed manual?

Yes, but it's very small, with basic information mostly on troubleshooting install problems. The rest of the manual is backstory, but you get all the backstory during the install process.

As for instruction on what the units do, everything is in-game. Select a unit and you can view the "help" on it and it tells you what they do, strengths and weaknesses.

46. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 11:54 Reactor

I was so hoping that'd be Lost Vikings  

44. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 11:38 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 11:12:
If you hear something about a UPS trucks getting hijacked, relax, it's ok, I'm just trying to find my copy.

So that was you in the beat up old Camaro, with the shotgun?

Creston

43. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 11:12 nin

If you hear something about a UPS trucks getting hijacked, relax, it's ok, I'm just trying to find my copy.

42. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 11:07 Creston

Thanks Dades.

Creston

41. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 11:03 Reactor

$100AU from EBGames Australia. 44.99 is only $77.17AU. As usual, us Australians pay a hefty tax for our software.

EB is always too expensive. Go for JB Hi-fi. Thursday's one day sale will see it down to $56.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/fandf/

40. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 10:27 Bludd

Oh, you people don't know how good it feels to not care about this game.

Carry on.

39. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 09:43 Techie714

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 08:53:
Jow wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 08:41:
Dear Blizzard,

The gamer in me cries out in yearning, wishing you had actually made a game I was interested in playing. My wallet, however, thanks you profusely. See ya next time.

Pretty much how I feel. I am glad they are boosting up PC gaming like this and glad RTS fans get a great new game, but I am not personally interested, same with WoW. The only Blizzard games I have ever liked are Diablo and Diablo 2, and I look forward to Diablo 3 quite a bit.

I like strategy games, for the record, just not real-time ones.

Ditto!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

38. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 09:07 Ecthelion

Does the Collector's Edition come with a printed manual? Unless I'm missing something, it wasn't shown in the unboxing pictures. I already pre-ordered mine from Gamestop but I'm not sure when I'm going to get it since I picked the cheap-ass shipping.

I loved the manual from Starcraft (including backstory that was actually entertaining to read) and I'm hoping the sequel has a worthy follow-up. It would be nice to have it in printed form, since if I'm on my computer and able to read a PDF I'm going to be playing the game.

This is only my second Blizzard Collector's Edition, after I managed to pick up an overstock copy of the Warcraft 3 Collector's Edition at Gamestop (in store) for about $20.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2010, 09:15.

37. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 08:53 StingingVelvet

Jow wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 08:41:
Dear Blizzard,

The gamer in me cries out in yearning, wishing you had actually made a game I was interested in playing. My wallet, however, thanks you profusely. See ya next time.

Pretty much how I feel. I am glad they are boosting up PC gaming like this and glad RTS fans get a great new game, but I am not personally interested, same with WoW. The only Blizzard games I have ever liked are Diablo and Diablo 2, and I look forward to Diablo 3 quite a bit.

I like strategy games, for the record, just not real-time ones.

36. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 08:41 Jow

Dear Blizzard,

35. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 08:36 Dades

Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 01:28:
Relax nin, you're gonna give yourself a heart attack.

Once people have played it, please let the rest of us know how it is.

Creston

I had a chance to play a bit. It's fun but it's Starcraft so temper your expectations. If you like Starcraft then you will enjoy it but don't expect a gameplay revolution or something. Graphically its accessible but manages to look modern. The sound design is top notch as usual. The interface is a bit too sleek for its own good, lots of parts sliding out and making whoosh noises which feels really odd at times. The achievement stuff is done properly and can be safely ignored if you don't care about it. I'm not that far through the campaign and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't comment on that.

I'd give it a 8/10 so far, mainly because I haven't really touched the MP side of things. I played some beta which was alright but I'm not much of a competitive gamer, I prefer co-op and custom maps in Blizzard games. Oh one thing I didn't like was that there are units that only appear in the SP but were from the previous game. I understand these were probably cut for balance issues but its still a bit disappointing. Goliath online?!

I received CE as a gift but don't feel it was really worth the price, I wish my wife had just gotten me the regular edition and saved herself the extra cash. The regular edition is definitely worth it, the bang for buck is there with the MP custom content alone.

If you really liked Starcraft then this will be right up your alley because its basically Starcraft 2010. If you didn't love Starcraft then I don't know if this will change your mind, they kept it pretty true to the original almost too much in spots.

As an older gamer I am a bit disappointed that they have kept the measure of skill based almost solely on APM still, I thought we were moving past that in the RTS genre

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2010, 08:44.

34. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 08:22 kanniballl

I have next week off, so I'll probably pick it up by the weekend.

There are 2 BestBuys within driving distance, a couple of Targets, a Walmart, and bunch of GameStop boutiques.

I figure the BestBuys and Walmart will be my best bet later.

Worst case scenario, I buy the game directly from Blizzard.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

33. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 07:51 nin

Hey that collectors edition had guest passes...anyone have an extra guest pass?

After all your whining? You're not getting mine.

32. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 07:36 Ventura

The most expensive place to buy the game, in the UK it's 44.99, compared to 34.99 from a shop, or 29.99 if you get it from the cheapest online store.

$100AU from EBGames Australia. 44.99 is only $77.17AU. As usual, us Australians pay a hefty tax for our software.

Good game though, but with me firmly back in WoW (first 80, raided ICC for the first time just last night), it's amusing that the only thing preventing one Blizzard title from getting more playtime on my pc is another Blizzard title.

I'm not typically that big on the company, but there's no denying they set the bar in this industry.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo