Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies

Valve's anti-cheat technology ran amok over the past couple of weeks and started banning Modern Warfare 2 players for no reason. Valve has now corrected the problem, and has un-banned these players. To compensate, they are offering a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to play and another to gift to a friend. A letter from Valve's Gabe Newell reproduced on Kotaku explains the problem, and the L4D2 deal: "We have reversed the ban, restoring your access to the game. In addition, we have given you a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to give as a gift on Steam, plus a free copy for yourself if you didn't already own the game."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 28, 2010, 00:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Kosumo wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 21:40:
ShadyPete, if you, Steam and Stardock where floating there, in the water fulled crater, I'd most surely turn up in a German U-boat and machine-gun to death Stardock ...... you and Steam may get a life raft if you're lucky.

And then I'd machine-gun the life raft... cause that would just be funny at that point

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 21:40 Kosumo

ShadyPete, if you, Steam and Stardock where floating there, in the water fulled crater, I'd most surely turn up in a German U-boat and machine-gun to death Stardock ...... you and Steam may get a life raft if you're lucky.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2010, 00:14.

29. L4D2 gift! Jul 27, 2010, 19:15 Ant

I want one if anyone doesn't want his/hers.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2010, 00:51.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 11:53 ShadyPete

ok since I'm no longer on a ledge and now in a crater I'm assuming if thus crater was filling with water you would not throw me a rope or something. Is that correct? I mean if Steam were there it would get the rope right?  

27. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 10:58 Muscular Beaver

Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 06:50:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 06:17:
I vaguely remember the fanboys that always claimed that Valves anti cheat crap is "unfailable".

Prior to this there were only about seven false positives reported, so until now it was fair enough to call it infallible, fanboy or not.

Theres always at least one that will never learn I guess.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

26. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 10:41 BobBob

A negative times a positive is a negative. In your case you're stuck in a crater.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

25. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 10:28 Wowbagger_TIP

ShadyPete wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 10:12:
Multiply your IQ by at least 50.

ok.. i would surely die then.. that sucks

Assuming we're talking meters here, then yes, you probably would.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

24. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 10:12 ShadyPete

ok.. i would surely die then.. that sucks

23. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 09:33 BobBob

ShadyPete wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 08:16:
how high is the ledge?

22. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 08:42 Dades

Shadowcat wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 02:35:
Pretty good apology (not as good for the people who had already bought L4D2, though).

Also a good demonstration of how detrimental this kind of software can be when things don't go as smoothly as people tend to presume they will.

I remember being erroneously banned by Punkbuster way back when. It was the most frustrating experience I've had in online gaming. Everyone just assumes you're some kid whining about how his wallhack got him banned. No one can fathom that software is built by human beings and just as prone to error as we are.

21. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 08:16 ShadyPete

If you and Steam were hanging off a ledge, and I can only save one of you, I'd save Steam.

how high is the ledge?

20. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 07:00 nutshell42

Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 06:50:
Prior to this there were only about seven false positives reported, so until now it was fair enough to call it infallible, fanboy or not.

The keyword is "reported." If VAC is "known" to be infallible and Valve offers absolutely no way to appeal their process or even to learn what you were supposed to be doing that they didn't like.

So yes, calling it infallible was fanboyism even before this. All this changed is that they fscked up so badly that they can no longer pretend that their victims are all evil cheaters.

19. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 06:50 Grumpy Sod

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 06:17:
I vaguely remember the fanboys that always claimed that Valves anti cheat crap is "unfailable".

18. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 06:17 Muscular Beaver

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

17. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 06:07 Dev

Blue:
I think you meant un-ban rather than un0ban. It does look kinda nify though

16. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 06:07 Dev

Nameless Again wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 23:05:
Holy crap! I can't wait to see what I get for the failed delivery on all the content they promised for the original Left 4 Dead!!

(...rips off old scab, then douses it with lemon juice...)
That would be that same promised content charged at full game price (aka l4d2). Not that I mind that particularly, its the lying about it in the first place. If they want to do that just don't lie about giving it out as DLC in the first place.

15. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 06:05 Golwar

Ha, I know what Valve did there. They made their tool go crazy, just so that they could enforce L4D2 to all those remaining boycotters!
But no Valve, you didn't catch me with this devilish plan, I shall remain without L4D2! *laughs insanely*

14. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 05:49 BobBob

ShadyPete wrote on Jul 27, 2010, 05:38:
steam = skynet

If you and Steam were hanging off a ledge, and I can only save one of you, I'd save Steam.

13. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 05:38 ShadyPete

steam = skynet  

12. Re: Valve Un-Bans Players, Offers Freebies Jul 27, 2010, 04:04 AngryMax

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 22:13:
Steam became sentient and started banning all the fucking moron-assholes who bought that game.

lmao

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo