Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight

By tomorrow eager players will finally be playing a highly anticipated science-fiction strategy sequel; speaking, of course, of Natural Selection 2, the RTS/FPS hybrid from Unknown Worlds. Tonight a playable alpha will be released via Steam for those who have preordered either the standard or special editions of the game, which can be done through the Natural Selection 2 Website. Time is running out, however, as after today the special edition will no longer be offered, the price will go up on the standard edition, and preorders will no longer carry an invitation to play the alpha.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 20:53 ASeven

Live stream right here:

http://www.livestream.com/ns2dev

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 19:42 ASeven

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 19:05:
I am looking forward to this game. NS1 was a lot of fun, despite balance issues(in my opinion).

That being said, however, what is with this trend of basically selling beta, or in this case, ALPHA access?

Sure, you can argue that it's a bonus to pre-ordering a game you want, but it's also paying to theoretically help a developer alpha/beta test their code. That seems really greedy and exploitive to me, especially considering the NS guys started out making free mods.

On another note I'm also amazed these guys think they can sell this game for more than 19.95(after today), but I guess time will tell on that.

Hopefully this game is good, and released in our lifetimes without too much bullshit attached. Looking forward to a playable demo of the finished code.

They're indies. They need to get funded and crowdsourcing is as good a way as any, offering alpha access, considering it's an indie, is acceptable and a good way of making extra money. As for $20, far worse games that cost 3 times that are being sold. This games deserves at least $20, considering they're giving us dedis, modtools, source code, everything.

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 19:13 crazyfingers

I wouldn't call this exploiting the consumer for beta access in the slightest. In fact I just got a discounted price for ordering early. Keep in mind these guys are not a large studio with huge amounts of funding behind them.

This entire venture is a bit of a gamble for us as consumers, and larger for Unknown Worlds, I'm sure. Certainly one I'm willing to support though, this is one title I'm routing for.

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 19:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am looking forward to this game. NS1 was a lot of fun, despite balance issues(in my opinion).

That being said, however, what is with this trend of basically selling beta, or in this case, ALPHA access?

Sure, you can argue that it's a bonus to pre-ordering a game you want, but it's also paying to theoretically help a developer alpha/beta test their code. That seems really greedy and exploitive to me, especially considering the NS guys started out making free mods.

On another note I'm also amazed these guys think they can sell this game for more than 19.95(after today), but I guess time will tell on that.

Hopefully this game is good, and released in our lifetimes without too much bullshit attached. Looking forward to a playable demo of the finished code.

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 19:01 ASeven

Don't worry if you don't have the special edition though. The alpha is full of bugs and the latest blog post confirms that. This won't be much playing the game as giving tons of feedback. I predict the beta, which everyone will have access to, special edition or regular, may come in 6 months or so.

BTW the price of regular edition is going up in a couple of hours so now's the time to get it at $20.

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 18:44 Mangrove

Yeah, the alpha is only for the special edition people. There's a thread on the forums telling you how to upgrade from the standard to the special here:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110098

You might be cutting it a bit fine, though.

I went for the standard edition as I'm a cheap bastard.

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 18:36 Sepharo

crazyfingers wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 18:31:
I was reading the website and maybe i'm crazy, but it sounds as though you need the special edition for an invite to the alpha, which is kind of a bummer because i just bought the regular version

Can anyone confirm either way?

Blue doesn't seem to think so, but I don't really know personally since I bought the special

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 18:31 crazyfingers

I was reading the website and maybe i'm crazy, but it sounds as though you need the special edition for an invite to the alpha, which is kind of a bummer because i just bought the regular version

Can anyone confirm either way?

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 18:06 ASeven

The dev blog has been updated. New screens.  

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 18:04 SM0k3

Can't wait...  

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 17:16 crazyfingers

Sold!

I'm having a hard time deciding which game I'm more excited about NS2 and SC2, but that may be because i've spent too much time slaving away in the SC2 editor on a mod and when i think of SC2 i think of work

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 16:36 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 16:26:
Why would you be? It's just a matter of personal taste. I'd rather play this and SC2 as well.

Did you get this game? I have a feeling alpha may be more crowded than an impending SC2 release might have us thinking.

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 16:26 Cutter

Why would you be? It's just a matter of personal taste. I'd rather play this and SC2 as well.

Edit: Oops, meant I'd rther play this than SC2.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2010, 18:43.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Alpha Tonight Jul 26, 2010, 15:08 ASeven

Funnily enough, I'm more excited about playing this today than about anything SCII. Am I insane?  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo