Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - News - Analysis- Is The Game Industry A Happy Place?
It’s the Men In Suits, after all, who make the decision to treat their studio staff as expendable. They’re the ones who determine that it’s time to clamp their lips shut when the media wants information, who manipulate an often young and inexperienced press corps with shameless ease. They’re the ones who make the decisions to charge for incremental content, to gently nudge up the prices of console titles over the years based on what they think gamers will tolerate.

Hooked Gamers - 9 reasons why PC gamers are more hardcore.
Unless he is gaming with a disability (Disabled gamers are hardcore to the max, respect!), a PC gamer doesn't want help playing his game. Whereas console game developers have devised numerous ways to help overcome the shortcomings of gaming with a gamepad, PC gamers have always preferred the raw, unaided versions of their games. The timeless 'mouse and keyboard' method has proven to be the most accurate way to control a game. If a PC gamer really wants to immerse himself, he will buy a joystick or racing pedals to make it more -not less- realistic. Seriously guys, 'auto-aim' is a joke.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2010, 09:46 Dades

Bet wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 21:22:
Don't your arms get more in shape the more you use them?

Use them how? Just waving your arms around in the air isn't going to turn you into hercules. Even people in shape will get tired after raising their arms for an hour.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2010, 02:14 space captain

who wants to play a FPS with a fucking laser pointer? seriously

personally im not gonna bet on it being a revolutionary game changer, but i guess much more retarded things have happened

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2010, 01:45 Silicon Avatar

You don't have to move your arms that much to point with the Wiimote. It's just a wrist action like a mouse. It's about as strenuous as using a laser pointer.

8. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 21:22 Bet

Hyatus wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 13:27:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 12:53:
Auto-aim is a joke indeed.

But mouse/keyboard is not the only way to accurately control a game anymore. If pointing devices like the Wiimote get accurate enough then there's no reason that console games won't storm full-bore into the "hardcore" FPS and RTS genres.

The first generation of motion pointers is still a little rough for that, but the second or third generation? Maybe not so much.

The problem with motion pointers is that my arms get tired after awhile. There's not really a way to fix that.

No, the best thing would be a brain implant that knows what you are thinking. Until then, k+m for me.
Don't your arms get more in shape the more you use them?

7. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 19:33 creatorswhim

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 13:33:
No, the best thing would be a brain implant that knows what you are thinking.
I dont want a brain implant to know what i am thinking, especially during gaming I prefer some kind of physical interface, which is NOT connected to me in any way at all. Still, i am only a gamer and not a net runner jacking in ...

YET!

6. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 13:33 Kajetan

No, the best thing would be a brain implant that knows what you are thinking.
I dont want a brain implant to know what i am thinking, especially during gaming I prefer some kind of physical interface, which is NOT connected to me in any way at all. Still, i am only a gamer and not a net runner jacking in ...

5. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 13:27 Hyatus

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 12:53:

But mouse/keyboard is not the only way to accurately control a game anymore. If pointing devices like the Wiimote get accurate enough then there's no reason that console games won't storm full-bore into the "hardcore" FPS and RTS genres.

The first generation of motion pointers is still a little rough for that, but the second or third generation? Maybe not so much.

The problem with motion pointers is that my arms get tired after awhile. There's not really a way to fix that.

No, the best thing would be a brain implant that knows what you are thinking. Until then, k+m for me.

4. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 12:53 Silicon Avatar

3. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 12:44 Beamer

It’s the Men In Suits, after all, who make the decision to treat their studio staff as expendable. They’re the ones who determine that it’s time to clamp their lips shut when the media wants information, who manipulate an often young and inexperienced press corps with shameless ease. They’re the ones who make the decisions to charge for incremental content, to gently nudge up the prices of console titles over the years based on what they think gamers will tolerate.

In my experience, which is more limited as it wasn't with a publisher but in a studio, it's often the opposite, where the creative side think they deserve payment for their hard work and the suits, particularly marketing, are wondering how the hell they can explain these changes without inciting a riot.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 12:43 ASeven

This is why the industry will sooner or later implode and why Indies will gain a hell of a prominence. In fact they already are, slowly but surely. This article only shows what some of us already knew, the gaming industry is a very bleak place and this business model, if continued, will spell doom to the industry, at least the mainstream one, indies will of course be the ones to profit tremendously from this in the end.  

1. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2010, 11:56 space captain

not many "industries" are  
Go forth, and kill!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo