Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide

Direct2Dtrive now offers episodes one and two of the BBC's Doctor Who: The Adventure Games for sale to customers outside the UK, where the games are available for free. Word is: "The Doctor is an alien, the last of the powerful Time Lords. He is an intrepid traveller through time and space, armed only by his incredible intelligence and his fix-anything sonic screwdriver. He travels alone except for the human companions he befriends, briefly sharing his life with them and showing them the astonishing wonders of the universe. He is a protector of mankind, and his mission is to save the planet from frequent and varied alien attacks. Join the Doctor and Amy Pond in these exciting adventure games full of puzzles, stealth and collectibles and help outwit and overcome two of their greatest foes – the Daleks and the Cybermen." Thanks Big Download.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 26, 2010, 10:06 kanniballl

Luther wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 07:16:
Kanniball:
As for Christopher Eccleston's Northern accent, no that's not Welsh. Northern usually refers to the English accents (as opposed to Scottish and Welsh) from Birmingham up. These are often characterised by being slightly nasal and having long vowel sounds.

Good to know

My lack of knowledge still let me laugh though, since the real joke was along the lines of:
- If you're an alien, why do you sound like you're from the North
- Because most planets have a North

I think they repeated the joke a few times in season 1.

Beyond that, not much in terms of cultural gaps, even the historical references to past queens.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 26, 2010, 07:16 Luther

Kanniball:
As for Christopher Eccleston's Northern accent, no that's not Welsh. Northern usually refers to the English accents (as opposed to Scottish and Welsh) from Birmingham up. These are often characterised by being slightly nasal and having long vowel sounds.
Wales is not part of England but is a part of the UK. Welsh accents are different from the many English ones and they vary between the north and south. Wales also has its own language (as does Cornwall in the West of England. That's similar to Welsh but hardly anybody speaks it any more) and a lot of the accent and spoken English colloquialisms can be traced to the Welsh language.

31. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 23:22 kanniballl

eunichron wrote on Jul 25, 2010, 03:46:
British humor is easy to understand. Dress up a man as a woman, throw in some heavy sarcasm, a bit of French bashing, and top it off with an unintelligible dialect.

Hey, it's better than, "Git 'r done."

The humor of Doctor Who is easy to follow for those of us on the other side of the pond.

There's not much of a culture gap since they're usually off-world or in a different era, and on the rare occasion they're in the UK the cultural references are low. I think the only time I didn't get the *exact* reference was when they were talking about how Chris E's accent sounded Northern... I guess that means Welsch?

It's been AGES since I've seen British comedies, some of what I've caught has had either a younger Hugh Laurie or Anthony Head. I do recall some of the older sketch comedy to be a bit more different than I'm used to (more "drag" and flamboyant stuff) but I guess it was funny.

The recent Who season was quite a treat, I liked Amy Pond and Rory and thought the season finale was great. I'm really looking forward to the Christmas Special as well as next season.

My *only* complaint was the latest Doctor/Actor (Matt Smith) looks too much like the previous incarnation (David Tennant). I guess they're trying to keep the fan-base now that both the doctor and head writer left.

At least the difference between Chris E and David Tenant was pretty big in terms of looks and behavior. David Tennant and Matt Smith just look too similar.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2010, 23:28.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

30. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 21:09 Marvin T. Martian

Bloo wrote on Jul 25, 2010, 00:16:

I never thought I would see the day that but there is anti-american feelings brewing in the UK.

No real surprise given the number of people that support islam in Britain now. Nor do they have the balls to kick out the radical ones.

29. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 12:29 Akuinnen

Bloo wrote on Jul 25, 2010, 00:16:
I never thought I would see the day that but there is anti-american feelings brewing in the UK. Comments like this and how you conduct yoursevles abroad while mainly your governments actions are the reasons why.

I think we may have made a mistake when we made Zanthar and his Blues News comments the official view of 300 million people spread across 3 million square miles. It's making Bloo hate us.

We might want to bring this up at the next US meeting which I think is happening at Joes house. His wife will be making her excellent cookies.

28. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 12:21 zadokallen

space captain wrote on Jul 25, 2010, 01:36:
all you patriots might as well jerk off with your flags

Voice of reason...
...jerk off in general direction of assorted chan/guardian boards, you`re doing the polluting here. I treat Blue`s as a safe haven from this kind of bs

27. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 12:18 Marvin T. Martian

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2010, 21:59:
In the UK, it's paid for by the T.V. license. Outside of the UK, it's not.

Sure it is. Here in Canada we have the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation which contributes development money to the show, as well as pays the licensing fees, and there other cable channels here that show it and have to pay licensing fes as well, so perhaps the Americans may not deserve a free game, but we here in the Great White North sure as hell do seeing as they're using our tax dollars.

Agree 100%--it should have been free in Canada, given our taxpayer $$$$ go to the show development..

26. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 12:03 Zanthar

I never thought I would see the day that but there is anti-american feelings brewing in the UK. Comments like this and how you conduct yoursevles abroad while mainly your governments actions are the reasons why.

Special reationship my arse, seriously I think we should dump America and align more to the EU

When will you learn that your sucking up to the EU has already made the UK insignificant in the world. You let Islamic fanatics flood your island of rotten teeth and take over. Your ugly old queen counts all the money that she stole from your people while parliament bends over backwards to kiss the ass of terrorists. Soon all your snaggle toothed women will be forced to wear berkas and you'll be praying to a rock 7 times a day.

Don't worry tho, America will be there to bail your asses out again when you idiots finally wake up.

25. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 10:38 Shataan

"In all of my 32 years, I have yet to figure out 'British humor'"

hehhhehhe I absolutely LOVE Brit Humour.

24. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 05:05 Luther

Cutter:
I think that's to make up for the fact that Canada's game development industry is directly targeting British developers with all sorts of incentives. They can offer those because of big tax breaks that the UK industry was promised but then weren't delivered. I got an offer myself, which was tempting (Canada looks nice) but I'm pretty settled where I am.
Seriously though, that probably has nothing to do with it at all. I'm guessing that the CBC and the BBC have different pots of cash and only collaborate in specific ways.

23. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 03:46 eunichron

British humor is easy to understand. Dress up a man as a woman, throw in some heavy sarcasm, a bit of French bashing, and top it off with an unintelligible dialect.

Hey, it's better than, "Git 'r done."

22. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 03:17 J

Rigs wrote on Jul 24, 2010, 17:54:
In all of my 32 years, I have yet to figure out 'British humor'...

32 years and you haven't even figured it out yet? There's no such thing as 'British humor'. We do, however, have 'British humour'. Do newspaper puzzles make your brain cry?

P.S. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

21. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 01:36 space captain

all you patriots might as well jerk off with your flags

rah rah yeh youre really special with your predefined identities

so special and important

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 25, 2010, 00:16 Bloo

Zanthar wrote on Jul 24, 2010, 09:46:
First they pollute our waters with oil then they pollute the game market with shitty games... it's time for another revolution!!

Special reationship my arse, seriously I think we should dump America and align more to the EU.

19. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 23:42 Kosumo

Like how Pure Pwnage TV show had Canada tax money in it; yet I've seen it here in Aotearoa for free, thanks Canada (off of the internet, anit been on the television here yet)

edit, had Lord Of the Rings failed, it was the New Zealand tax breaks that where to take the lost, then when it was very sucsesful, New Line tried to Hollywood account their way out of paying due royalty (may still be in court?)

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2010, 23:47.

18. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 21:59 Cutter

In the UK, it's paid for by the T.V. license. Outside of the UK, it's not.

Sure it is. Here in Canada we have the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation which contributes development money to the show, as well as pays the licensing fees, and there other cable channels here that show it and have to pay licensing fes as well, so perhaps the Americans may not deserve a free game, but we here in the Great White North sure as hell do seeing as they're using our tax dollars.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 21:51 creatorswhim

ain't it though?  

16. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 20:49 space captain

innit  
Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 18:37 sir

No need to be defensive. I read somewhere that more than 50% of BP's directors are American, not to mention the fact that it's a multi-national company, regardless of the 'B' part.

Anyway, at least we have something in common with our American cousins - we once again know what it is like to be reviled by millions in a distant part of the world.

14. Re: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games Available Worldwide Jul 24, 2010, 18:21 Luther

>> I'm being extremely sarcastic
Yeah, I kind of got that. It's just that this whole environmental apocalypse with our bloody name on it thing has left me a bit defensive.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo