Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has the news that BioWare's and LucasArts' upcoming Star Wars MMORPG will feature Space Combat. Here's word:

If you’ve been following the news coming out of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ panel at Comic-Con International, you’ve heard the announcement that we will indeed have Space Combat as part of the TOR experience! But what does that mean? Space combat is an alternative gameplay experience to the primary game of storytelling, questing, and ground-based combat. In space combat, you fly your personal ship to various “hot spots” on your galaxy map. From there, you will blast your way through asteroid fields, enemy fighters, frigates, destroyers, and a variety of other obstacles that will evoke memories of some of the great Star Wars™ space battles.

To learn more, pick up the October 2010 edition of PC Gamer which hits newsstands starting August 17th for screenshots and an exclusive interview or check back with us in the weeks to come.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 26, 2010, 09:42 nin

Now you're just being childish and annoying, as are most of your posts when I think of it. Keep it up.

Hey hey! Might have to save that quote for my sig. Thanks!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 26, 2010, 06:05 BobBob

Case in point.  

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 26, 2010, 05:53 Eldaron Imotholin

BobBob wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 05:12:
Ever notice that MMO players tend to be emotionally hyper-sensitive and thin-skinned?

Now you're just being childish and annoying, as are most of your posts when I think of it. Keep it up.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 26, 2010, 05:12 BobBob

Ever notice that MMO players tend to be emotionally hyper-sensitive and thin-skinned?  

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 25, 2010, 15:58 Eldaron Imotholin

BobBob wrote on Jul 25, 2010, 03:28:
If you have time to play an MMO, you have to much time on your hands.

If you have time to write bullshit like that, you have time to play an MMO.

When I have little time on my hands I prefer entering WoW than starting up a single-player game. This because the knowledge I have little time on my hands limits my ability to get immersed. In an MMO you can just talk with your guildies a bit as you're doing one dungeon run.

Your statement is flawed in a thousand ways. Would you kindly stop posting crap like that?

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 25, 2010, 03:28 BobBob

If you have time to play an MMO, you have to much time on your hands.  

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 20:16 PHJF

Great, now make a Star Wars MMO with *only* space combat and I'll have serious interest. If Allegiance had had "Star Wars" in front of it maybe it wouldn't have tanked so horribly.

I don't see what the problem is, Freelancer was already a lite MMO. Somebody just needs to take it up to the next level and flesh things out.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 08:55 Dades

Will I need to grind to level 20 to use my ship first?  

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 04:39 Umbragen

Yeah, I remember the space combat from KotOR.  

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 04:38 Jonny

I thought the personal ships were all corvettes and armed transports, Millenium Falcon style? This makes me hope for a Nexus style strategical space portion, but I'm fully expecting to get mysteriously crammed into a fighter for some wanky arcade blasting.  

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 03:41 Ginny

I hear the flightstick, but common guys. How many of the demographic, the age range that they're pitching the old republic at (ballpark 14-30) say.. give a toss about a stick.

Sure starwars spans all ages, im older myself, but the mass market products don't code for the niche, they go where the money is. Given that, there's no point in disapointing yourselfs over a no show.

Just be happy, fire up iw2, starlancer, or a updated mod for xwing alliance.:)

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 03:29 StingingVelvet

Wildone wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 20:36:
Are you kidding..it'll be generic 3rd person 'behind the ship' arcade FUN!...
Plus anything from the prequel movies style is an insta turn-off. Xwings or nothin..

I kind of agree. The thing I loved about Star Wars was the used, battered and tarnished world we saw in the original trilogy. X-Wing's cutscenes along with Dark Forces 2 were some of the rare ones that captured that universe made of shadow, junk and thrice-used parts. Since the prequels and their bright, colorful and brand new looking imagery that style has been forced into all Star Wars games and it's disappointing.

I get what Lucas was going for... before the Empire the universe was bright and gay... but that doesn't mean it works for the franchise.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 02:35 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Jul 24, 2010, 00:56:
Edit: kxmode, where the heck did you get that quote from? Every time I see it, I'm like WTF?!? :o

It's from the poster formerly known as Nameless. Click the link so you can read Nameless's hilarious recount!

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2010, 02:58.

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 02:03 Wallshadows

I wish I lived in the Golden Saucer.  

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 00:56 Rigs

All I can say is that I don't think it'll be that involved, like no where even close to a Flight-Sim. I doubt they'll get anywhere near STO either. I never played SWG's space combat, so I don't know how good or bad it was. I just don't see space combat being an appealing part of an MMO unless the game was built from the ground up for it in the first place. I mean, if TOR was a space combat/trading sim (in the vein of Elite or X) and had the ground combat and whatnot thrown in as a secondary (basically the reverse of what it is), then it would be very compelling to me...and many others who sit here watch our FFB sticks, HOTAS throttles and rudder pedals gather dust... *sigh*

Edit: kxmode, where the heck did you get that quote from? Every time I see it, I'm like WTF?!?

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 23, 2010, 23:43 Wildone

Yea I know, how unfortunate..still hope its good enough for the mmog players

Fion wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 23:32:
All I gotta say is:
this is an MMOG not a flight simulator.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 23, 2010, 23:40 Quicksilver

entr0py wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 21:17:
That's awesome. I just hope they support flight sticks. I miss the days of good space flight sims like X-wing VS TIE Fighter and the Wing Commander games. To me, mouse flight is just as bad playing an FPS with a gamepad. Having flawless controls is a huge part of the appeal.

you shouldn't expect x-wing vs tie fighter, you will only be disappointed. at best this is going to be a shooting gallery mini-game to waste time. maybe they'll throw in some materials or consumables but never forget what the business model of MMOs are. Time sink, time sink, time sink.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 23, 2010, 23:32 Fion

All I gotta say is:

Fuck YEA!

And to the doubters, of course it will be arcade style, this is an MMOG not a flight simulator. And the game takes place a millenium before any of the movies, so there won't be any EP 1-3 ships (though I wouldn't doubt if we will see similarities.)

Just the fact that they will have space combat in at LAUNCH is a 'huge' plus for me.

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 23, 2010, 21:17 entr0py

That's awesome. I just hope they support flight sticks. I miss the days of good space flight sims like X-wing VS TIE Fighter and the Wing Commander games. To me, mouse flight is just as bad playing an FPS with a gamepad. Having flawless controls is a huge part of the appeal.  

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 23, 2010, 21:01 Lorcin

Either that's the worst press release ever or it's a limited selection of mini games with no pvp or serious punishment for losing.

btw WTF Octobers PC Gamer is now out in August? seriously? Buy a calendar guys.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo