Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming?

A blog post by Voodoo PC founder Rahul Sood relates a rumor that Microsoft was working on a program that would offer PC versus Xbox 360 gameplay, expanding on the cross-platform play of Shadowrun. According to his sources, in spite of pitting top-level console players with controllers against "mediocre" PC gamers using keyboards and mice, the "console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative." This leads him to draw a rueful conclusion: "..had they allowed something like this to take place then perhaps the desire to have the best platform would still be there. Perhaps the scale of the PC would have allowed Microsoft to get away from the hardware business and focus on their core, software. Perhaps we could have finally integrated the XBOX into the PC..." Since that didn't happen, he goes on to offer some opinions on the future of PC gaming, encouraging developers to develop for webOS. Thanks Gizmodo.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jan 19, 2011, 14:27 Eldaron Imotholin

ZOMBIE-THREAD! KILL IT!  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jan 18, 2011, 18:05 Sepharo

WISE FWUM YO GWAVE  

53. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jan 18, 2011, 14:27 necrosis

edpfister wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 20:01:
Wow, can't these guys spending all this money come up with some other solution other than just not doing it? What about giving the player some options. Let the player choose from one of these (or some subset) and then have matchmaking do it's thing.

1) I will play with anyone and know I/they may be at a disadvantage due to differences in controllers. I don't care.

2) I only want to play with controllers. PC's can use controllers, if you want to play with all the console players get a controller and learn to use it.

3) I only want to play with other PC/console players

Yes, it will take some programming hours to get this to work but you are opening up a lot of possibilities. Do they think this is too complicated for users? I think we can handle a few options. In these modern times having our choices so restricted is ridiculous. At least give it a try and see what happens if nothing else.
(1) Of course. Most people will be on PC and be easily able to grief controller users.
(2) What self respecting PC player will use a controller when a KB&M is available to them? Especially when its a FPS.
(3) More often than not PC/PC and Console/Console. Just because of the reasons in #1 and #2

52. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 26, 2010, 19:22 Andrew X

Yes, it's adjusted a bit, but it's still Quake-styled, with some assist and some magnetism built in.

I think I just take issue with you comparing Halo to Quake. You'd be correct if you just said "Halo is a run and gun shooter." However, comparing it to Quake specifically is just silly,

It's not silly. I loathe Halo as much as the next PC gamer, but you can't deny they are similar games. Both FPS format, basically run around and kill stuff. Because one moves slower than the other doesn't make them completely different games. There is definite influence from Quake in Halo.

It's like saying Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't influenced by Super Mario Bros at all, because Sonic runs faster. Really?

51. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 20:01 edpfister

Wow, can't these guys spending all this money come up with some other solution other than just not doing it? What about giving the player some options. Let the player choose from one of these (or some subset) and then have matchmaking do it's thing.

1) I will play with anyone and know I/they may be at a disadvantage due to differences in controllers. I don't care.

2) I only want to play with controllers. PC's can use controllers, if you want to play with all the console players get a controller and learn to use it.

3) I only want to play with other PC/console players

Yes, it will take some programming hours to get this to work but you are opening up a lot of possibilities. Do they think this is too complicated for users? I think we can handle a few options. In these modern times having our choices so restricted is ridiculous. At least give it a try and see what happens if nothing else.

50. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 10:58 nin

Gees nin! You Godwin's Law invoker, you!

There comes a point in every thread where nothing good is going to come out of it.

And at that point, you push it off the cliff.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 10:52 Kxmode

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 10:33:
Wow 43. posts and not one has even remotely touched on the real issue here...

That we haven't made it to Hitler yet? :)

Gees nin! You Godwin's Law invoker, you!

48. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 10:40 Wowbagger_TIP

That we haven't made it to Hitler yet?

I'm pretty sure Hitler has nothing to do with this. Although I did hear that he had a thing for thumb knobbies...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

47. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 10:33 nin

That we haven't made it to Hitler yet?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 08:49 Eldaron Imotholin

rist3903 wrote on Jul 23, 2010, 08:17:
I think console/PC cross playing could be great, but only in games where the PC isn't a ridiculously unbalanced advantage. MMOs or RTS games come to mind.

I think this concept could work in a fps, but have the storyline set up so that console gamers are better equipped with weapons, armor and supplies. If you were a PC player you would have to circle strafe around to hit them in the back as they have too much armor anywhere else while they slowly turn around like elephants on special k.

Haha, that might actually sorta work. But their guns shouldn't contain bullets but something nuclear, else they simply wouldn't ever hit the PC player.

45. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 08:17 rist3903

I think console/PC cross playing could be great, but only in games where the PC isn't a ridiculously unbalanced advantage. MMOs or RTS games come to mind.

I think this concept could work in a fps, but have the storyline set up so that console gamers are better equipped with weapons, armor and supplies. If you were a PC player you would have to circle strafe around to hit them in the back as they have too much armor anywhere else while they slowly turn around like elephants on special k.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2010, 08:25.

44. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 04:10 InBlack

The real reason cross-platform was scrapped is simply because the console players would have realised how superior multiplayer is with a PC as your gaming platform of choice, which basically leads to a feeling that a PC is more desireable than a console for most "hardcore" console gamers which in turn leads to them swapping their XBOX for a brand new PC.

This was obviously a big no no for Microsoft, since their strategy at the time was all about console market share. Hence the really bad failure prone XBOX designs, huge profit losses, and NO MOUSE + KEYB for XBOX. They basically did everything possible to get big chunk of the marketplace as fast as possible.

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 23, 2010, 01:34 Cutter

Why is this rocket-surgery? All you need to do is add keyboard/mouse support for the Xbox and its games.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

42. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 22, 2010, 23:02 Jerykk

I suggest just eliminating the whole concept of consoles. That would be the best move, coupled with some advertisements for the PC that make the Ignorant Console Gamers (from now on: ICG) realize the PC can do matter-of-factly everything a console can but better. Sitting on the couch playing games with your controller included.

/signed.

41. Re: Console Player Dominance killed FPS Standards! Jul 22, 2010, 22:51 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 22, 2010, 17:26:
kxmode wrote on Jul 22, 2010, 17:20:
If console gamers can't trouble themselves to learn how to play FPS games proper with a KB/M they don't have my symphonies when they get gibbed and owned.

Offtopic, but this is a great typo!

LOL. I think I might have been channeling Mozart. Yes, if Mozart was alive today he would pwn all of you in MW2. Believe it! And yes, he would be using a keyboard. Ha!

40. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 22, 2010, 19:56 Eldaron Imotholin

I suggest just eliminating the whole concept of consoles. That would be the best move, coupled with some advertisements for the PC that make the Ignorant Console Gamers (from now on: ICG) realize the PC can do matter-of-factly everything a console can but better. Sitting on the couch playing games with your controller included.

Yes. That would be ideal.

39. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 22, 2010, 19:39 rjdriver

Good Grief Gates!. Make the 360 truely mouse and keyboard compatible, build and sell these accessories, make sure game companies offer configs for pad, and KB & Mouse, and end all the excuses and crippled games.  
rjdriver,

http://www.bullseyecrosshairs.com

38. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 22, 2010, 19:29 Erebus

Like this is some kind of surprise? I've never been able to play console games, because compared to the PC's responsiveness, controls and graphics playing a console game is like swimming through mud without your glasses. Wearing oven mitts. I agree that Microsoft simply blew it by moving from a gaming platform with hundreds of millions of users to one that has a fraction of that number. It was good for Gabe though - who is now showing MS what they COULD have done.  

37. Re: Console Player Dominance killed FPS Standards! Jul 22, 2010, 19:28 beaves

I find it extremely difficult posting messages on blues with a console.  

36. Re: Console Player Dominance killed FPS Standards! Jul 22, 2010, 19:22 Eldaron Imotholin

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 22, 2010, 17:26:
kxmode wrote on Jul 22, 2010, 17:20:
If console gamers can't trouble themselves to learn how to play FPS games proper with a KB/M they don't have my symphonies when they get gibbed and owned.

Offtopic, but this is a great typo!

Hahaha indeed! I laughed ^^

As for that whole comment of kxmode: very uncharacteristic, man :\ How on earth could you misunderstand the guy in this staggering fashion!?

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo