Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Midnight Openings

Blizzard Entertainment announces that midnight launch events for StarCraft II will be taking place all around the world for next week's launch of the real-time strategy sequel. The launches will take place at the stroke of midnight July 26/27, and here's word: "Select retail stores in cities across the world will be open at the stroke of midnight on July 26th to celebrate the release of StarCraft II. Developers from the StarCraft II development team will be on-site to sign copies and meet players. There will be organized activities, competitions and chances to win great prizes. Be a part of this historic event in a city near you!"

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 22, 2010, 04:38 Jerykk

As for Valve, they certainly lead on PC, which is as good to me as being PC exclusive.

This. I don't care if a game is multiplatform as long as PC is the lead SKU. Being lead SKU makes all the difference in the world. Look at Dragon Age.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 10:22 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 09:57:
kanniballl wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 08:52:
It's the nature of the beast. Consoles are powerful enough to do a fair amount of gaming and popular enough that it's a sizable market. While their controls for some games are questionable (like RTS) they handle FPS games well enough.

So if you plan ahead enough, you might be able to port it across 1-2 consoles and bump up your profit a little.

I don't mind ports, as you said it is the nature of the beast and I can't fault a publisher for focusing on the massively larger market.

My main beef is why do developers who made real PC games before screw up PC ports so badly? Gearbox and Borderlands for instance... I find it hard to believe that a company that made and released so many good PC games suddenly forgot how to design a PC menu system. It's either laziness or penny counting and either way it pisses me off.

The worst part about the Gearbox situation is that Randy Pitchford is a lying asshole who gave interviews pre-release saying the PC version was developed on it's own with a unique UI and how PC gamers were going to love it. I won't buy Borderlands 2 just based on the fact that he literally made shit up to get people to buy it. I expect little silly marketing BS or fluff here and there but not outright lies about the condition and state of the product. Frankly it's laziness and it's the fact that developers and publishers think they can get away with it.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

21. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 09:57 Ant

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 09:42:
Ant wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 08:59:
Ditto! That should be the next release after WoW:Cataclysm?
Well... SC2 release was a bit over 3 years past the announcement... if the pattern continues you'll see D3 in the fall of 2011...
That sounds about right. Blizzard never gave out a date. IIRC, didn't they say it wasn't coming out for 2010 for sure?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 09:57 StingingVelvet

kanniballl wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 08:52:
It's the nature of the beast. Consoles are powerful enough to do a fair amount of gaming and popular enough that it's a sizable market. While their controls for some games are questionable (like RTS) they handle FPS games well enough.

So if you plan ahead enough, you might be able to port it across 1-2 consoles and bump up your profit a little.

I don't mind ports, as you said it is the nature of the beast and I can't fault a publisher for focusing on the massively larger market.

My main beef is why do developers who made real PC games before screw up PC ports so badly? Gearbox and Borderlands for instance... I find it hard to believe that a company that made and released so many good PC games suddenly forgot how to design a PC menu system. It's either laziness or penny counting and either way it pisses me off.

19. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 09:42 Mr. Tact

Ant wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 08:59:
Well... SC2 release was a bit over 3 years past the announcement... if the pattern continues you'll see D3 in the fall of 2011...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 08:59 Ant

SM0k3 wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 05:07:
TO hell with starcraft 2, I want Diablo 3!!!!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 08:52 kanniballl

kxmode wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 04:17:
Actually can I include Valve too, or have they made console games?

They're primarily a PC house, but their games are also out on console.

• The original Half-Life was ported to the PS2.

• Most things Half-Life 2 related are on XBox 360 and PS3.

• Portal is also on the XBox 360 and PS3.

• Left4Dead is on the XBox 360

• However my understanding is they develop *for* the PC, with the console versions being ports (or second thoughts).

This is opposite to console games that are ported back to the PC, with all of the horrid UI / control issues that we often see.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2010, 08:57.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

16. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 07:29 Prez

There are plenty of PC exclusives, and MW2 isn't one of them. Hey I ain't bitchin or complaining about the situation or hating on Blizzard. I just asked a simple question.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

15. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 05:45 StingingVelvet

kxmode wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 04:17:
    Jerykk wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 03:41:
    Modern Warfare 2?

MW2 doesn't really count as a PC game, as it was designed for consoles.

Those days are long gone. I acknowledge that and I'm a diehard PC gamer. The only people who make exclusive PC titles are indies, MMO developers and Blizzard. You guys should show Blizzard some love; they're still loyal to computers. Actually can I include Valve too, or have they made console games?

There are a lot of developers in Europe still making PC exclusives who are not really what I would call indie... STALKER, Witcher, Death to Spies, etc..

As for Valve, they certainly lead on PC, which is as good to me as being PC exclusive. I actually like that console gamers can play too, I hate exclusives in general, I just wish more games lead development on PC or ported their games better.

14. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 05:07 SM0k3

TO hell with starcraft 2, I want Diablo 3!!!!  

13. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 04:17 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 03:41:
    Modern Warfare 2?

Those days are long gone. I acknowledge that and I'm a diehard PC gamer. The only people who make exclusive PC titles are indies, MMO developers and Blizzard. You guys should show Blizzard some love; they're still loyal to computers. Actually can I include Valve too, or have they made console games?

12. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 03:58 Cutter

Hrm I'm curious how it'll sell, because it doesn't seem it'll be big enough to warrant midnight madness everywhere. I started seeing the TV ads today though.

Anyway, glad I don't care about RTS' as a genre, I've got a lot of stuff I'm playing right now and seeing how this is a 3 part game, I don't know how they can justify charging 60 clams for part one. I may check it out in a few years when it hits the bargain bin as a complete edition.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 03:41 Jerykk

Modern Warfare 2?

10. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 03:27 StingingVelvet

I'm still undecided on getting the game at all... not the biggest RTS fan, but I play them occasionally and this one is such an event.  

9. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 03:26 Kxmode

Prez wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 03:12:
    OK, so when was the last time there was a multi-city midnight sales event for a non-Blizzard PC game?

Modern Warfare 2?

8. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 03:12 Prez

OK, so when was the last time there was a multi-city midnight sales event for a non-Blizzard PC game?  

7. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 02:59 Jerykk

When was the last time there was a multi-city midnight sales event for a PC game?

The last WoW expansion.

6. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 02:46 Prez

When was the last time there was a multi-city midnight sales event for a PC game?  

5. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 21, 2010, 00:41 stingray

I'm sorry, but I won't be able to make it. I'll be most likely sleeping dreaming of Kerrigan.  

4. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Openings Jul 20, 2010, 23:25 Mcboinkens

LittleMe wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 23:22:
    I wish they would spend a lot more time debugging and tweaking the game. Blizzard just rushes shit out the door this day, long before it's done. The game's only been in development for like, 12 years or something? SC2 has nothing on Duke Nukem... and what a polished stone that game is.

What are you.....oh I see. Trollolololol

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo