Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alice: Madness Returns Announced

EA and Spicy Horse Games officially announce Alice: Madness Returns, a sequel to American McGee's Alice, the offbeat take on Alice in Wonderland released in 2000. The sequel's title was discovered last month through a trademark registration, and with the official announcement we learn the game is coming some time next year to Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. Just as the sequel is a decade removed from the original game, the story takes place ten years later, with American McGee once again acting as project lead. Here's word: "Alice: Madness Returns takes place 10 years after the conclusion of the original game, with Alice struggling to recover from the emotional trauma of losing her entire family in a fatal fire. After spending a decade institutionalized in an insane asylum, she is finally released to the care of a psychiatrist who just may be able to help her conquer the nightmarish hallucinations that still haunt her. Alice embarks on a mission to root out the true cause of her family’s mysterious death, jumping from a gloomy and stark London to a rich and provocative Wonderland." Here are some screenshots and some pieces of concept art from the game.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 23, 2010, 02:46 Jerykk

Speaking of that game and consolitis, why on earth did you have to rapidly tap the space bar to make BATMAN open the grates over air vents?

Yeah, those were pretty worthless. I never quite understood the reasoning behind adding useless button-mashing to games. I guess it's an attempt to make it more "visceral" and "immersive"?

In any case, if you hate platformers, I'm surprised you'd hold any interest in Alice or its sequel. Alice was a platformer first and foremost.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 22, 2010, 15:40 Jdrez

You don't really need a reticule to land jumps.

You do if you're me. I hate jumping puzzles and suck horribly at them.

I quit Arkham Asylum because of those idiotic side-view Scarecrow segments.

Speaking of that game and consolitis, why on earth did you have to rapidly tap the space bar to make BATMAN open the grates over air vents? Ugh.

19. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 16:05 Jerykk

Being able to aim your little jump-landing crosshairs with the mouse would be awkward on a controller I think.

You don't really need a reticule to land jumps.

Quick time events, button (spacebar) mashing, inability to save, six hour single player story.

Fair enough. Still, when I think of games that really exemplify PC gaming, Alice isn't one of them.

18. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 15:28 Jdrez

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 23:11:
EA will surely ruin this console port.

As for consolitis, there was nothing particularly PC-centric about the first game.

Well, it was only on PC, so there's that. Being able to aim your little jump-landing crosshairs with the mouse would be awkward on a controller I think.

But I don't really see how this game could be dumbed down by consolitis, unless they add regenerating health.

Quick time events, button (spacebar) mashing, inability to save, six hour single player story. Never underestimate the power of suck.

17. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 10:36 Elessar

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 18:50:
That doesn't seem to be the direction I would want to go, but I will have to wait and see.
This comment seems silly to me. If you hardly remember the original, you wouldn't understand that not only did they keep the unique atmosphere from before, it looks like they've improved upon it a great deal. I think the art direction/screenshots look amazing.

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 21, 2010, 00:11:
Didn't the original use three keyboard keys? It wasn't exactly complex.
Dynamic gameplay is not only controlled by the character and their capabilities, but also by the world you interact with. Gameplay can be changed by fighting enemies with different abilities. I also recall there being a chess mechanic to the original Alice. And of course you have different weapons that behave differently using the same 1 attack button.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

16. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 01:04 Tony!!!

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 20:19:
Yeah, I loved the original, was gorgeous (at the time) and pretty fun. I haven't gone back and played it recently, it probably doesn't look quite like I remember. I have the model of the Cheshire Cat from it sitting on my desk currently. The accompanying Alice model is standing guard in a box of older games, probably including her own.

I have both the cat and Alice as well, posed in form of the box cover. I also have the catipillar.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

15. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 00:11 Elf Shot The Food

Didn't the original use three keyboard keys? It wasn't exactly complex.  

14. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 21, 2010, 00:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2010, 23:11:

Not sure if you're saying that the port itself will be ruined by EA or that the game will be ruined by being a port. In either case, I don't really agree. EA has a done a solid job with most of their ports. They are leagues better than Rockstar. As for consolitis, there was nothing particularly PC-centric about the first game. It was a platformer. If we were talking about a series like System Shock or Civilization, I would agree. But I don't really see how this game could be dumbed down by consolitis, unless they add regenerating health.

Indeed... people seem to see "consolitis" everywhere, even in games never made to be deep experiences.

13. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 23:11 Jerykk

Not sure if you're saying that the port itself will be ruined by EA or that the game will be ruined by being a port. In either case, I don't really agree. EA has a done a solid job with most of their ports. They are leagues better than Rockstar. As for consolitis, there was nothing particularly PC-centric about the first game. It was a platformer. If we were talking about a series like System Shock or Civilization, I would agree. But I don't really see how this game could be dumbed down by consolitis, unless they add regenerating health.

12. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 22:02 Burrito of Peace

Oh my my, oh Hell yes. Honey put on that party dress.

"Last Dance with Mary Jane" always reminded me of American McGee's Alice for some reason.

11. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 20:50 ForgedReality

10. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 20:46 Cutter

I agree I like the art direction. It has my curiosity piqued.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 20:19 HoSpanky

Yeah, I loved the original, was gorgeous (at the time) and pretty fun. I haven't gone back and played it recently, it probably doesn't look quite like I remember. I have the model of the Cheshire Cat from it sitting on my desk currently. The accompanying Alice model is standing guard in a box of older games, probably including her own.  

8. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 20:01 Lorcin

Cool!!! Still have the original on erm original in the shed - can't think of many other games from back then I still keep.  

7. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 19:43 Prez

I loved the first; looking forward to this one. Hopefully McGee can purge the suck from himself for it.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

6. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 19:28 Parallax Abstraction

I'm hopeful but this is the team that made the Grimm episodes which were absolute garbage.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

5. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 19:24 Rosco

Oh Heck Yes!! Sign me up. I loved the first game, hope the music is just as creepy. Nice screenshots, looks like they'll keep the look and feel of the first, with some well improved graphics.  
Consoles are schwag.

4. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 19:19 Wallshadows

Do those cards have asses?  

3. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 18:50 Ray Marden

That doesn't seem to be the direction I would want to go, but I will have to wait and see. If anything, the screenshots remind me of something like FAKK2.
Colorful, but confined levels. Maybe quie a bit combat heavy?
Hardly remembering the prior game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 18:23 Techie714 ©

WOW those screen shots look awesome! I bet this will be a good game.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo